benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Usually when EA is having a problem that limits the charging power to the MME (we often suspect the cable cooling might be having a problem, thus the charger kicks down the power), we see the MME charging around 41-43 kW. There's been many reports of that. I've experienced it twice myself.

Sounds like 50 kW may be the failsafe level when EA detects an issue with the charger(s). The way Kyle described it, it's really an amperage limit (125A @ 400v). But since the MME battery packs are really around 350v instead, 350v x 125A = ~43 kW. Thus it peaks around 43 on a 50 kW charger.

However 34 kW in your example sounds like something potentially different (maybe the car limiting it?).
The day this happened, I had the same issues at EA locations, and non-EA locations. All stations would max out at 34kw.
Sponsored

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Pulled up to an EA charging bank this afternoon and had an interesting talk with the 3 EA techs who were working on the chargers.

First, hats off to the techs-- they were very cool. None of the chargers were working (we all worked together, using the MME as a test vehicle). Of course, I had to ask -- "are these broken a lot?" The tech acknowledged that they are ALWAYS fixing these EA chargers. They were shaking their heads in astonishment at how often the chargers fail--but grateful for the work I'm sure. Whether that's just an EA thing or emblematic of all DC fast chargers, it's too soon to tell.

Now, for the cool part -- one tech got a charger up and running and used his pass to give me a free charge-- thanks a lot man!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Pulled up to an EA charging bank this afternoon and had an interesting talk with the 3 EA techs who were working on the chargers.

First, hats off to the techs-- they were very cool. None of the chargers were working (we all worked together, using the MME as a test vehicle). Of course, I had to ask -- "are these broken a lot?" The tech acknowledged that they are ALWAYS fixing these EA chargers. They were shaking their heads in astonishment at how often the chargers fail--but grateful for the work I'm sure. Whether that's just an EA thing or emblematic of all DC fast chargers, it's too soon to tell.

Now, for the cool part -- one tech got a charger up and running and used his pass to give me a free charge-- thanks a lot man!
It seems more like an EA thing with giving contracts to the low bidders. It was so bad that last year EA took the drastic step of shutting down or limiting charging speeds on many of the chargers on the midatlantic and southeastern atlantic corridor. They ended up completely replacing chargers at dozens of locations, but they did it starting on labor day weekend so lots of CCS EV owners had to scramble to get home.

VeeTail

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.desser.com
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Dodge Hellcat, MME
Occupation
VP Business Development
Country flag
I've been using EA chargers for about a year with my Bolt, I usually go to 4 locations locally, and the same units that I know that always fault my Bolt, fault my MME also, There is generally only 1 out of 4 at the Walmart, and 2 out of 4 at the other shopping center that work, with the member, phone app pass that work with the EA charger. . It's been that way since they were installed. Even calling EA when at the station, they are unable to get it working , but at least they are trying and apologetic about the same issues. Charging fault , unplug message, but try and try again, same messages, Seems not to be uncommon at EA locations, the one off the 5Fwy at Osborne street in Pacoima CA is always broken, but vandalism is usually the cause there.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
No response from Ford yet on this case. Kilowatt hours not restored and credit card not refunded. Disappointed. @Ford Motor Company, what action should I take now?
Update: Ford just gave me a credit card adjustment in the amount of the $ charge. So, I guess the case was finally addressed. Used EA last weekend and credit card was not debited, only kilowatts from my account, so the issue may be resolved.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My wife an I happened upon a tech working on 2 of the 4 EA chargers at the Corvette museum last week.

He was not an EA tech. He was a local electrician who should probably have had a 14 year old computer whiz with him. I talked to him while he had EA on the phone and was on hold.

They are mechanical devices that are just as prone to failure as an other electro-mechanical device, perhaps more so.

To the OP's point, I hope the crest of the wave doesn't collapse and push non-believers further into their caves. It'll take patience, tons of money and a substantial rise in gas prices to turn the planet to EV's in a substantial way

Yes, many states and countries have laws outlawing the sale of NEW ice cars after a certain date. But, funny thing about laws.... they don't languish unmolested for very long.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues Corvette charger 1 1

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues Corvette charger 2 2

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues Corvette charger 3 3

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
To the OP's point, I hope the crest of the wave doesn't collapse and push non-believers further into their caves. It'll take patience, tons of money and a substantial rise in gas prices to turn the planet to EV's in a substantial way

Yes, many states and countries have laws outlawing the sale of NEW ice cars after a certain date. But, funny thing about laws.... they don't languish unmolested for very long.
Unfortunately all of that is true.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Yes, reality will dictate what actually happens in the future. Those laws with deadlines for the future will have to adjust if technical and practical capability don't fit yet. They're basically just wish list dates right now. And 'nudges'.

But, with the recent advances that have gotten batteries good enough to power vehicles like the Mach-E and Lightning to 300 miles range, I think we're well on our way. There's no going back now. Turning the Titanic will take longer than some hope for, but it is turning. Serious BEV and PHEV market penetration will take place this decade. I expect most miles driven will be on electric in the US/Canada/Europe by the end of the decade (drastically reducing air pollution).

Deleted member 3569

What I have found is that whenever a charge station is located closer to the entrance of the mall whether it is a Walmart or Target the chargers are usually in pretty good shape. If a charger is located in the furthest part of the parking lot then it is usually pretty bad shape, and the area is strewn with rubbish. The best Electrify America chargers was in Newcastle, DE right off Delaware Memorial bridge, it was adjacent to their gas pumps so yo had access to the window cleaning squeeges and they had order service delivered directly to your car while charging.

The worst experience have been greenLots located randomly at the farthest corner of a half abandoned parking lot.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What I have found is that whenever a charge station is located closer to the entrance of the mall whether it is a Walmart or Target the chargers are usually in pretty good shape. If a charger is located in the furthest part of the parking lot then it is usually pretty bad shape, and the area is strewn with rubbish. The best Electrify America chargers was in Newcastle, DE right off Delaware Memorial bridge, it was adjacent to their gas pumps so yo had access to the window cleaning squeeges and they had order service delivered directly to your car while charging.

The worst experience have been greenLots located randomly at the farthest corner of a half abandoned parking lot.
I haven't found that pattern. In fact, on one recent road trip charge in Barstow CA it was the opposite. The 2 EA charges by the Walmart entrance didn't work, but the bigger bank over by the Jack in the Box side of the lot did.

As a general rule, I'd rather see then located further away from the store entrance. Less chance of them being blocked that way, and it preserves the best parking spots for shoppers (as they should).

So far, most of the big box store EA locations I've used have been pretty good about not putting them in prime parking, although some are still too close IMO. Presumably due to installation cost (i.e. closer to the power source).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As a general rule, I'd rather see then located further away from the store entrance. Less chance of them being blocked that way, and it preserves the best parking spots for shoppers (as they should).
Definitely. I don't care about having to walk all the away across the parking lot because it means the chargers probably won't be ICEd and there are no hard feelings on the part of ICE owners

BoB123

First Name
BoB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Occupation
Dentist
Country flag
Question (and maybe there is a thread for this already), I know Electrify America got Mach-E's to test long before they were being sold to us. I really thought they would be ready. It seems every road trip Mach-E report/video has issues with the EA DC Fast Chargers charging stations. Is it the software in the Mach-E or is it the EA stations? Seems Ford should have field tested these cars more.

In New York, private companies and EvolveNY (https://nypa.gov/innovation/initiatives/evolve-ny) are starting to bring several DCFC stations online with more planned over the next two years. I am counting on them to work with the Mach-E.

Having said all that. I know I will be able solve any issues I run into. I am worried about people who won't be able to and get so frustrated they give up and go back to ICE vehicles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues Corvette charger 3 3

My MachE only works with ChergePoint. It cannot connect to any Electrify America/EvoGo/Shell fast charge network. It’s super frustrating. I’ve almost been stranded a couple times in Ann Arbor MI. Luckily there is a Meijer grocery store that has a Charge Point Charger that I can use. However it does not work if the neighbor charger is in use.I’ve talked to Ford they blame the network. It’s definitely a Ford issue as it’s more than a coincidence that I cannot charge in any city other than with ChargePoint. Is anyone having similar issues? It’s mainly with the fastchargers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MachE only works with ChergePoint. It cannot connect to any Electrify America/EvoGo/Shell fast charge network. It’s super frustrating. I’ve almost been stranded a couple times in Ann Arbor MI. Luckily there is a Meijer grocery store that has a Charge Point Charger that I can use. However it does not work if the neighbor charger is in use.I’ve talked to Ford they blame the network. It’s definitely a Ford issue as it’s more than a coincidence that I cannot charge in any city other than with ChargePoint. Is anyone having similar issues? It’s mainly with the fastchargers.
What's it doing when you try to use an EA charger? And how are you trying it, with Plug&Charge, or activating the EA session with the EA app?

Mr.Doug

First Name
Mr.Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E -Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
We have both a Tesla and Mach-e.. The ONE MAJOR difference is the Charging issues on the road with the Ford.. Awful.. Tesla Superchargers don't even have a screen monitor and the charging hose is less bulky and it works every-time we have used it.. Plug in and it starts immediately without all the hassles of the Mustang network .. EA, EVgo etc. We Love the MME, but when taking a trip over 200 miles, the MME stays at home.. Ford needs some Tesla engineers to simply fix the situation..
Just my 4 cents.. :)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We have both a Tesla and Mach-e.. The ONE MAJOR difference is the Charging issues on the road with the Ford.. Awful.. Tesla Superchargers don't even have a screen monitor and the charging hose is less bulky and it works every-time we have used it.. Plug in and it starts immediately without all the hassles of the Mustang network .. EA, EVgo etc. We Love the MME, but when taking a trip over 200 miles, the MME stays at home.. Ford needs some Tesla engineers to simply fix the situation..
Just my 4 cents.. :)
We just completed a 900 mile drive back from the Grand Canyon area to Denver via I-40/I-25, and Plug & Charge worked perfectly at every EA stop. We have had a few problems in the past, but the last 2 trips, P&C has been flawless. (Although yes, the cables are way heavier and sometimes take muscle to get angled right for plug-in).

It just seems to depend on the route.
Sponsored