Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Since I posted this, I have used EA chargers three times. Plug and Charge worked flawlessly each time. I will be taking my first long road trip at the end of the month with stops at EA charging stations.

The only complaint I will have is when my free Kilowatts run out. Plug and Charge will still work but at the higher rate even if you are an EA member paying the monthly fee. Don't know why EA and Ford can not work that out. Advantage Tesla until that is fixed.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Since I posted this, I have used EA chargers three times. Plug and Charge worked flawlessly each time. I will be taking my first long road trip at the end of the month with stops at EA charging stations.

The only complaint I will have is when my free Kilowatts run out. Plug and Charge will still work but at the higher rate even if you are an EA member paying the monthly fee. Don't know why EA and Ford can not work that out. Advantage Tesla until that is fixed.
Supposedly, if you pay Ford $50 for an annual subscription, you can get the EA Pass+ rates. I haven't seen much written about that. I've had many EA issues, both before and after Plug and Charge's free hours ran out (when I turned it off to use EA Pass+).

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Supposedly, if you pay Ford $50 for an annual subscription, you can get the EA Pass+ rates. I haven't seen much written about that. I've had many EA issues, both before and after Plug and Charge's free hours ran out (when I turned it off to use EA Pass+).
I seem to remember this too. $50/yr for a discounted EA rate that was comparable to Pass+ and included P&C.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I seem to remember this too. $50/yr for a discounted EA rate that was comparable to Pass+ and included P&C.
If they have something like this, Ford is hiding it well. Cannot find anything on the Internet about it.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag

You CAN get the lower rate with Pass +. Just use the EA app to activate the charger before you plug in. It will then charge you the EA rate of whatever rate plan you have and not charge your plug and charge account. The charger unit screen tells you to plug in first but just ignore that and activate the charger through the app first, it works.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
You CAN get the lower rate with Pass +. Just use the EA app to activate the charger before you plug in. It will then charge you the EA rate of whatever rate plan you have and not charge your plug and charge account. The charger unit screen tells you to plug in first but just ignore that and activate the charger through the app first, it works.
I knew that but I sure do like the convenience of P&C and seems it is a no brainer for EA and Ford to make it work with the discounted rate. Ford made a big deal the Mach-e has it so why not make it useful beyond the free Kwh?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I knew that but I sure do like the convenience of P&C and seems it is a no brainer for EA and Ford to make it work with the discounted rate. Ford made a big deal the Mach-e has it so why not make it useful beyond the free Kwh?
Exactly. I'm guessing they'll have the $50 plan in place before the F-150 Lightning starts delivery.

I used EA Pass+ for our first 3 road trips. It seemed 'good enough' the first 2 trips, but then I had numerous problems with it on the 3rd trip (same chargers). Some was phone/cell signal issues, some was the app hanging up and needing a phone reboot to continue, etc. It always eventually worked, but it was just messy. And it requires a cell signal which isn't a sure thing some places.

I finally got fed up with it and turned on P&C for the rest of the 3rd trip. Worked perfectly. Then again on my 4th trip. Now I'm hooked.

Because flying is so annoying now, we're doing more road trips. So I'll probably go ahead and pay the extra to keep using P&C (this $50/yr subscription for discounted EA rates, and the FordPass subscription fee after our initial free period runs out).

Last edited:

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag

True re plug and charge after the freebie is gone but I have the EA plus account and tap my Apple wallet after plug-in. Takes less than a second and always works.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is exactly what I do. I have been on 3 long road trips with the MME and before I leave I activate the Pass+ plan in the EA app. Then when I get to an EA charger, I activate the charger first in the app, the EA charger screen updates and indicates to plug in to start charging. Plug in and charge at the Pass+ rates. Then when the road trip is done, I cancel the Pass+ plan until the next road trip. I have also turned off Ford Plug and Charge in the FordPass app.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
True re plug and charge after the freebie is gone but I have the EA plus account and tap my Apple wallet after plug-in. Takes less than a second and always works.
I've only tried the phone tap a few times. It worked on one type of EA charger (the ones with a slanted front below the screen), but not the other type (the flat front). Not sure if it's supposed to work on all of them or not.

They all seem to have the symbol, but I'm not sure if that means phone tap or just credit card chip tap?

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I've only tried the phone tap a few times. It worked on one type of EA charger (the ones with a slanted front below the screen), but not the other type (the flat front). Not sure if it's supposed to work on all of them or not.

They all seem to have the symbol, but I'm not sure if that means phone tap or just credit card chip tap?
I know on EA machines the phone tap location (for the pass account in an iPhone wallet) is in a different place than the credit card tap location.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I charged three times on my roundtrip between Syracuse, NY and Allentown, PA. I used the EA stations all three times. Plug and Charge worked flawlessly each time.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues i-ZXRwWDN-XL

Used 350Kw station at Love's Travel Stop in Binghamton, NY twice on the way down and back. I ate at Wendy's which is inside the Love's building and used their very clean bathroom. You can also find anything a traveler would need in the Love's store.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues i-jDFzPVc-XL

In Allentown, I used the EA station at Village West without an issue.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues i-nVp6cHx-XL

Nice location with places to eat and shop in a strip mall the station shares the location with.

Last edited: