SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
I’d I didn’t have my heart set on the MME I have ordered, I’d be getting in the car and going to pick up the GT-Line near me.
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The range on EV6 is now around 220 when I charge up to 80%, so that puts the 100% range around 275. Less than maybe what a MME can do, but more than my body could handle in a single drive. You more than make up for it with faster charging if longer distances are of interest. If you are going to drive long distances the Ionic/EV6 are going to be noticeably less time charging and more time driving.
It's less about driving all at once... total range is important to me. For example, I drive 90-100 miles to Ocala, FL at 80mph for an event.. hang out for a few hours then drive 90-100 miles back. There are no non-Tesla DC chargers without making a 15-20 mile detour out of my way that would eat up to an hour (detour + charge + return to normal path).

220 mile range of the EV6 AWD with 20" at 75mph is very borderline to me. 256 EPA range is a blended number and that's with highway speeds at 55mph usually. Real world highway range is always lower than EPA. I still want an EV6 AWD but if I buy one.. it's solely a commuter car.

The core problem is CCS charging in Florida is straight up garbage. Sadly, EA hasn't built any except one in South Florida in 8+ months I've been an EV owner. I need range for the next 2-3 years.

I think the hands free driving stuff in the EV6 ain't bad - it keeps you in the lane, auto follows, will go down to a stop.... and it does it on any and all roads. You can remove your hands for brief periods of time.
If it's like the Telluride where you can be hands off for a minute.. it's pretty solid but BlueCruise is better - although both allow you to change lanes without it disengaging. I have to say I like the Telluride's HDA over Tesla Autopilot (still have a Model Y) because Tesla's system disengages when you change lanes or some exception happens. I also much prefer the wide range of safety features of the Telluride over all over EVs I've owned.

Last edited:

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
It is half the time because the EV6 battery is a good deal smaller, it's not just the charging rate.
The percentage doesn't matter though, does it? It just matters how many kWh gets delivered in a given amount of time - that's what gets you range, not battery SoC.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I went and drove an EV6 GT Line yesterday. Overall it was a nice car, IMHO the advantage it has over the MME is it feels less sporty. The suspension is much softer than the MME for the many MME owners that think the car is too bouncy the EV6 is not. To do this however they gave up a lot of road feel and precision in steering. You can feel a difference in breaking the Brembos on the MME make a huge difference in its ability to stop. The EV6 HUD was very cool and when you used the navigation it was extra helpful.

I would say the person who does want an EV but does not care how sporty it is the EV6 is great. Those who bought the MME for its Mustang-inspired background would be disappointed in an EV6.

With a caveat to what I am saying my MME has 245/50/19 Hypertrac tires and they provide much better grip and handling than the factory Michelin tires. It is possible with similar tires the EV6 would have a much better road feel.

Last edited:

Petey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 2022 Premium AWD ER (I hope!)
Country flag
The percentage doesn't matter though, does it? It just matters how many kWh gets delivered in a given amount of time - that's what gets you range, not battery SoC.
Thats right - and the charge curve is the other part of this. the MME can hit 150kw charging for a while, but then drops down to lower levels. The majority of the time is not spent charging at 150kw if you are doing a fulll or 80% charge. The image below is not up to date (MME is now better than what is shown), but the point is still overall valid:
Ford Mustang Mach-E EV6 Vs MME 1653586267834

Contrast to the EV6, which spends most of the time charging at higher rates.
Ford Mustang Mach-E EV6 Vs MME 1653586221159

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The 2022 Mach-E has a slightly better charging curve:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...urve-video-and-data-nearly-1-hr-faster.17121/

We are in the golden age of charging because rates are insanely cheap and locations aren't busy. Once we have more EVs... these CCS charging locations are going to throttle peak charge rates to avoid on demand electricity rates. i.e Telsa Superchargers are slammed in Florida and I can barely get 75 kW because of high usage. 200 kW will be a fantasy or there will be tiered pricing.

FYI I bought a CCS adapter and used an EA charger this week with my Model Y as a test. This summer will be interesting with Teslas invading EA stations.

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The 2022 Mach-E has a slightly better charging curve:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...urve-video-and-data-nearly-1-hr-faster.17121/

We are in the golden age of charging because rates are insanely cheap and locations aren't busy. Once we have more EVs... these CCS charging locations are going to throttle peak charge rates to avoid on demand electricity rates. i.e Telsa Superchargers are slammed in Florida and I can barely get 75 kW because of high usage. 200 kW will be a fantasy or there will be tiered pricing.

FYI I bought a CCS adapter and used an EA charger this week with my Model Y as a test. This summer will be interesting with Teslas invading EA stations.
You think? I think the EA rates are actually higher than the Supercharger rates; kinda figured we wouldn't see too many of them tbh.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You think? I think the EA rates are actually higher than the Supercharger rates; kinda figured we wouldn't see too many of them tbh.
EA is cheaper than Superchargers in Florida.

EA is 34 cents per kWh member rate. Superchargers now are 40-42 cents per kWh. A few locations have offpeak rates.

I just checked the my recent charges on the turnpike. The CCS chargers owned by Duke Energy and FPL Evolution are also cheaper than the Tesla Superchargers next to them (30-35 cents per kWh vs. 38-40 cents on my bill - since Telsa does not publish rates anywhere).

Granted this is $2 savings for a 40 kWh charge. The problem is Teslas will be using (relatively unused) CCS chargers with this adapter and CCS EVs can not use Superchargers (though very busy).

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Granted this is $2 savings for a 40 kWh charge. The problem is Teslas will be using (relatively unused) CCS chargers with this adapter and CCS EVs can not use Superchargers (though very busy).
This is true for now, but all indications are this will change. New federal programs for EV chargers states must use industry-standard chargers (CCS) to receive funds.

Rates at EA vary (Pass rates)
MN $.31 / KWH
WI $.24 / Min
SD $.24 / MIN
IL $.31 / KWH
MI $.31 / KWH
IN $.31 / KWH
IA $.31 / KWH
NE $.24 / Min

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is true for now, but all indications are this will change. New federal programs for EV chargers states must use industry-standard chargers (CCS) to receive funds.
For new chargers installed - yes.

Retrofitting existing Tesla chargers is too expensive I've heard from an insider. Doesn't matter because the current set of chargers are at capacity so opening up to CCS EVs will only instantly create lineups at every SC location.

Rates at EA vary (Pass rates)
MN $.31 / KWH
WI $.24 / Min
SD $.24 / MIN
IL $.31 / KWH
MI $.31 / KWH
IN $.31 / KWH
IA $.31 / KWH
NE $.24 / Min
Supercharger rates have increased 10-20% in the past 6 months. 40+ cents per kWh is pretty common... see the MN rate:

This is also happening in the UK with all chargers. EA is a bit of "compliance" network so they don't need to raise rates since they are not aiming to be profitable or be a viable business long-term :)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...electric-car-rises-by-a-fifth-in-eight-months

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Picked up my EV6 today. AWD GT-Line. First thing of significance was the ride. SO nice.

Compared to my GT it's WAY slower. Definitely going to need to end up ordering the GT version of this car.

Drove it 130 miles home at 70mph and got 3.4 mi/kwh so it's pretty efficient...much more so than the MMEGT.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EV6 Vs MME 1653933509815

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Picked up my EV6 today. AWD GT-Line. First thing of significance was the ride. SO nice.

Compared to my GT it's WAY slower. Definitely going to need to end up ordering the GT version of this car.

Drove it 130 miles home at 70mph and got 3.4 mi/kwh so it's pretty efficient...much more so than the MMEGT.
I ordered an EV6 Wind AWD with tech (didn't want sunroof!) from a MSRP Kia dealer so it should arrive in 3-6 months. Hopefully 4-6 months because I'm pretty much done with buying any cars in 2022 :)

My new GTPE is horribly inefficient (2.7 mi/kWh) but the Premium AWD ER that I traded-in got 3.0 to 3.1 mi/kWh on the highway. With 91 kWh usable that's easily 280 miles.

The GTPE is magnitude faster than the Premium AWD ER and probably the EV6.

I think the sweet spot for the MME is the Premium AWD ER - just enough acceleration/speed to make it fund and enough range for practical use.

The GTPE/GT seem like weekend fun cars.

Petey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've had my EV6 (AWD GTLine) for about 3500 miles now and my lifetime efficiency number is 3.5 mi /kwhr. I've goosed a few stoplights in sport mode, and about 25-25% of the driving is on the interstate. When in town a fair bit of the time I am in eco mode and my drive to work is frequently above 4 mi / kwhr.

It seems like the MME I am waiting for (AWD Prem ER) is going to be lucky to stay above 3?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've had my EV6 (AWD GTLine) for about 3500 miles now and my lifetime efficiency number is 3.5 mi /kwhr. I've goosed a few stoplights in sport mode, and about 25-25% of the driving is on the interstate. When in town a fair bit of the time I am in eco mode and my drive to work is frequently above 4 mi / kwhr.

It seems like the MME I am waiting for (AWD Prem ER) is going to be lucky to stay above 3?
With 20-25% interstate? 3.3+ mi/kWh probably with the AWD ER.

I drive 70-80% interstate (because of a 12 mile commute where it is all interstate except 1.5 miles) and I got 3.0+ mi/kWh.

Now that I have a GTPE... that gets 2.7 mi/kWh but the acceleration is insane (makes my Model Y Long Range feel like a slug and the MYLR is already faster than the EV6). I barely drive local roads with it because that is what my electric MINI Cooper is for :)

For reference, I dailied the MINI and it got 3.8 mi/kWh with 70-80% interstate and the Model Y around 3.6 mi/kWh (280 Wh/mile via detailed TeslaFi logs). If I took local roads I'm sure I could bump the numbers by 0.3-0.5 mi/kWh. I have probably the lowest MINI electric efficiency numbers I've ever seen. I don't even get 100 miles of range.

Reactions: SWO

Petey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now that I have a GTPE... that gets 2.7 mi/kWh but the acceleration is insane (makes my Model Y Long Range feel like a slug and the MYLR is already faster than the EV6)
the ev6 version I have is a touch quicker than MYLR or a MME PR ER but your points remain / help. Thanks!
Sponsored