OP
OP

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
Here's my 24 hour snapshot for reference. FordPass isn't even in the list!

Yes, that is why I started the threas calling FP maddeningly inconsistent, Some days there is virtually no battery use - other days it FP seems to run wild, using 3-4% of battery per hour - while running in the background!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yes, that is why I started the threas calling FP maddeningly inconsistent, Some days there is virtually no battery use - other days it FP seems to run wild, using 3-4% of battery per hour - while running in the background!
I understand. I have poured, arguably, more time into PaaK than most people on this forum. I know the issues presenting people and being that I've developed Android ROMs and apps I also have a bit of insight on the shortcomings of both. Give my suggestions a try and let me know how it goes.

OP
OP

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
I understand. I have poured, arguably, more time into PaaK than most people on this forum. I know the issues presenting people and being that I've developed Android ROMs and apps I also have a bit of insight on the shortcomings of both. Give my suggestions a try and let me know how it goes.
Ohhh right. Sorry I didn't interpret this right until now. I now understand you were saying: Try the things I suggest and you too might not have a problem anymore. I'm on it!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That is a good angle to look at. Thank you!
Another possibility I've noticed is that the battery drain requires you to have first completed a driving session with the car. If you just have it on but haven't driven with it, you won't really get it.
It seems like some process or resource is hanging when it does occur.

Another helpful habit has definitely been to turn Adaptive Battery off. Adaptive battery is different from Battery Optimization, and I've found that turning it off helps FordPass and PaaK. (Thanks @DevSecOps )

That being said... we *really* shouldn't need to be doing all of these workarounds to get the app to function. And the vast majority of users out there probably aren't even aware of these forums at all, and sadly probably just think that the app is bad.

PaaK_Android

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Lead PaaK Android Developer
Country flag
Another possibility I've noticed is that the battery drain requires you to have first completed a driving session with the car. If you just have it on but haven't driven with it, you won't really get it.
It seems like some process or resource is hanging when it does occur.

Another helpful habit has definitely been to turn Adaptive Battery off. Adaptive battery is different from Battery Optimization, and I've found that turning it off helps FordPass and PaaK. (Thanks @DevSecOps )

That being said... we *really* shouldn't need to be doing all of these workarounds to get the app to function. And the vast majority of users out there probably aren't even aware of these forums at all, and sadly probably just think that the app is bad.
I totally understand. Google makes OS decision based on the majority. Automatically killing apps that are running in the background is usually a good thing, unless a user needs a particular app to always run in the background. Unfortunately, when it comes down to it, we have absolutely no say in how Google configures their OS the out of the box. On the plus side Apple doesn't even let PaaK run unless the app is in the background. At least PaaK on Android still works even if you kill (swipe away, not force stop) the app.

PaaK_Android

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Country flag
Most ?
I do want to say though from all the PaaK developers at Ford, we really appreciate all the help you and the PaaK savy users provide on this forum. As an FYI there is a PaaK education and setup overhaul in the works. Hopefully once it's implemented it will answer a lot of questions and improve everyone's user experience.

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Most ?
I do want to say though from all the PaaK developers at Ford, we really appreciate all the help you and the PaaK savy users provide on this forum. As an FYI there is a PaaK education and setup overhaul in the works. Hopefully once it's implemented it will answer a lot of questions and improve everyone's user experience.
Obviously, I can't out do you ??

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Most ?
That's awesome. And we absolutely appreciate having a direct channel to the development team. Please, keep the improvements coming.

If I may... Let's get a status indicator on the app, for showing whether the doors are currently locked or unlocked. I know it's available in the API! I'll open a feature request JIRA Issue :)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Give my suggestions a try and let me know how it goes.
Yes, been there, done that. At first I thought all my PaaK issues were resolved after implementing all the setting changes you suggested. It did work much better for a while, but then it started crapping out again. And random battery draining recurred. I can go 2, 3, 5 days with no issues and then I notice my phone is hot and dying. FP, every time.

So I reversed all your recommended settings except location services (still full permissions there). It has been about 4 days now with no battery drain, so holding my breath that at least Android has stopped that. PaaK still works randomly but I am carrying a Fob so it is hard to tell how well it is really working. About 50% of the time I get a PaaK locked the car message.

Sorry to disappoint you. I think probably my out of date modules are contributing to my PaaK issues. Your car is up to date so that probably helps.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yes, been there, done that. At first I thought all my PaaK issues were resolved after implementing all the setting changes you suggested. It did work much better for a while, but then it started crapping out again. And random battery draining recurred. I can go 2, 3, 5 days with no issues and then I notice my phone is hot and dying. FP, every time.

So I reversed all your recommended settings except location services (still full permissions there). It has been about 4 days now with no battery drain, so holding my breath that at least Android has stopped that. PaaK still works randomly but I am carrying a Fob so it is hard to tell how well it is really working. About 50% of the time I get a PaaK locked the car message.

Sorry to disappoint you. I think probably my out of date modules are contributing to my PaaK issues. Your car is up to date so that probably helps.
No disappointment. The reason I didn't mention modules in this thread, like I normally do is because it's specifically about battery drain and not connectivity.

The other thing I debugged, and spoke about it in one of my many pasts, was that I've seen Android Bluetooth lock up. I've captured it twice. It prevents PaaK from working completely and can only be resolved with a reboot. I haven't had time to go through the last time this occurred but I have those debug logs. If it's at all like the first time, it was 100% the phone and not FordPass.

Unfortunately for the masses it's not so easy to solve. For power users a tasker scheduled daily reboot and relaunch of FP will prevent issues as it appears to only happen after extended on times.

There's so many phones out there and they all handle things differently. Since I only have one phone it's often times hard to diagnose others issues.

PaaK_Android

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Country flag
That's awesome. And we absolutely appreciate having a direct channel to the development team. Please, keep the improvements coming.

If I may... Let's get a status indicator on the app, for showing whether the doors are currently locked or unlocked. I know it's available in the API! I'll open a feature request JIRA Issue :)
I think there is a reason we aren't allowed to. I asked about a lock status a couple years ago and was shot down. I'll bring it up though!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

You have to create the user story and acceptance criteria here in order for it to get copy/pasted into Jira :)

I would toss in there that almost all other mfgs have this.

If there's any one thing I could have from FP this would be the highest priority on my list.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
You have to create the user story and acceptance criteria here in order for it to get copy/pasted into Jira :)

I would toss in there that almost all other mfgs have this.

If there's any one thing I could have from FP this would be the highest priority on my list.
I'm actually going to start on a simple app that will do this. The APIs are all there, and it should be pretty simple.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I think there is a reason we aren't allowed to. I asked about a lock status a couple years ago and was shot down. I'll bring it up though!
They need to give you guys more free reign. I'm sure the app would get much better!
Tell them customers are requesting it, and direct them to this forum:)