GT/GTPE real world range

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
EVs can be very nice city cars. Electric road trips are more trouble than they are worth.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
EVs can be very nice city cars. Electric road trips are more trouble than they are worth.
If the chargers work I disagree. I find it relaxing to be forced to stop often and find myself in much better spirits and with much more energy at the end of the trip than normal.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
And this is why 20% of EV owners are switching back to ICE. Completely agree with you. This is also why I own an ICE vehicle still and so do many others. They "have their place".

I find it relaxing to be forced to stop often and find myself in much better spirits and with much more energy at the end of the trip than normal.
So on a "patience scale" I would rate myself towards the top. I'm a very patient person. But you live in a state where there's an estimated 6740 EVs on the road. I live in a state where there's 425,300 EVs on the road (cited). This is like a bidet owner saying that he had no problem getting TP during the TP crisis (possible personal experience).

As a very factual minded person, I don't sugar coat things. As more and more EV's hit the road, like in California, we see that there's major issues that might be very hard to address. Lets use an example; Kettleman City, Interstate 5.
  • # of Telsa Charging Stations = 40
  • # of CCS Charging Stations = 2
  • # of Gas Stations = 5
Over last years holiday weekends there was a line of Tesla's waiting to charge that was over 1/4 of a mile long. They have 40 stations! 40!... It took most Tesla owners hours to charge. (cited) From what I've read via plugshare those Tesla owners also took all the CCS stations. Mind you that people with ICE vehicles were able to get in and out in minutes, with only 5 stations, and they command 90% of the vehicles on the road.

So while Ford and other mfg's other than Telsa sell EVs, the idea that it's relaxing to sit at a charging station might be plausibly true in a state where there's a 0.19% marketshare of EVs, that's not true for some of us who live in a state with 10% adoption. 40 Charging stations takes up a huge amount of real estate and they realistically need double that with 7% Tesla marketshare. Imagine if it was 50%! Since Tesla owners can take our plugs, but we can't take theirs (yet), this makes it even more challenging.

Let me be clear that the reason for my above comment is to provide other views from someone who has, and still does, own EVs. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and lifestyles differ. It's also to illustrate the issues that present EV's.

- Back to the thread topic -

Here's a picture of my GOM every morning when I leave home. For those who haven't seen my previous posts, I drive 15 miles every day to work, 50-70 mph the majority of the way. I do not live in the city and even going to the grocery store is all 55-65mph roads. My climate is mild to hot, no snow and very few sub-freezing days. I do not floor it every chance I get. So if this is your driving profile you can expect similar range on a GTPE.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT/GTPE real world range PXL_20211019_144627492

Last edited:

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I haven't done that many trips yet so my mind may change but as long as its not more than 3ish charging stops I think EVs are great for road trips. Much past that and I think it'll start to get annoying and it'll start turning 1 day trips into 2 day trips.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I haven't done that many trips yet so my mind may change but as long as its not more than 3ish charging stops I think EVs are great for road trips. Much past that and I think it'll start to get annoying and it'll start turning 1 day trips into 2 day trips.
I tend to stop every 1.5-2.5 hours on road trips. Despite my head thinking that I was only paused for 5 minutes, the clock shows it's more like 10-15. If I can get max charging in that time, road trips should be manageable. I'm hoping to find out soon. My car's ETA is Halloween.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
GT range feedback. Charged up to 90% Tuesday. Mix of temps from 40s to 60s and rain. About 30 miles on highway using cruise at 70-65. Two preconditioning events off charger yesterday morning. No limitation on climate or accessory use. Real world scenarios, just keeping my foot out of it.

Total 90.5 miles as of today. Down to 55%. Trip meter logged 3.1mi/kwh. Estimates suggest 100% range 260-270 miles.

Given rain (rolling resistance), slightly lower temps, mix of highway and city use and no restriction to climate or accessory use I find that pretty good.

I'm sure in optimal conditions over 300 is achievable if you can temper your urges to give it the beans.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
This thread seem weighted to under preforming as compared to a Premium trim which tends to over perform. (well one brighter spot in the post right above!) I get more aggressive driving habits will affect, but kind of disappointing nonetheless. My FE took about 3-5 weeks and a range reset to come from low winter range to higher than advertised summer range where it still sits. Maybe the GT's will be similar and take some time to settle in. But geeze, 179 at 90% is startling. Hope that's going to improve, but with winter coming, ugg...

Has there been any word from Ford that these 21's will get the range/battery boost OTA? I sure hope so. Will make more difference to these owners than the Premium's.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This thread seem weighted to under preforming as compared to a Premium trim which tends to over perform. (well one brighter spot in the post right above!) I get more aggressive driving habits will affect, but kind of disappointing nonetheless. My FE took about 3-5 weeks and a range reset to come from low winter range to higher than advertised summer range where it still sits. Maybe the GT's will be similar and take some time to settle in. But geeze, 179 at 90% is startling. Hope that's going to improve, but with winter coming, ugg...

Has there been any word from Ford that these 21's will get the range/battery boost OTA? I sure hope so. Will make more difference to these owners than the Premium's.
It’s only because the GT has only been around a few weeks, and it doesn’t seem Iike any new GT owners can resist driving it a little more…… aggressively so far. Plus like you said it’s starting to get cold in some places.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If the chargers work I disagree. I find it relaxing to be forced to stop often and find myself in much better spirits and with much more energy at the end of the trip than normal.
This right here. Sure it takes a little longer to get somewhere, but you're not exhausted from driving when you get there. I actually have enjoyed road trips with my MME, where as before I hated driving farther than 3-4 hours.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
It’s only because the GT has only been around a few weeks, and it doesn’t seem Iike any new GT owners can resist driving it a little more…… aggressively so far. Plus like you said it’s starting to get cold in some places.
It's so...sooooo hard. And I've been driving relatively fast cars for a while now...nothing has been so tempting because it's just so god damned smooth and effortless it is...and I don't feel guilty about it either.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've only brought my GT home from the dealer, and driven back and forth to town a couple times. Trying to keep it off the road as much as possible until PPF next week. But, my FE on the way to the dealer averaged 1.9mi/kwh. And on the way home with the GT, I averaged 2.6mi/kwh.

I had started seeing lower range on my FE in the month before trading it in and not sure what was causing it. Aside from that, the GT seems to be getting almost the same range as I was seeing on my FE. I'm very happy with it so far.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I would imagine the temptation to stomp the pedal would be higher in the GT than a 4X even on a 300mi road trip. Since @BIGBIGSURGE just did a cross country trip in his new GTPE, I'm really curious what he was consistently getting at freeway speeds.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
This right here. Sure it takes a little longer to get somewhere, but you're not exhausted from driving when you get there. I actually have enjoyed road trips with my MME, where as before I hated driving farther than 3-4 hours.
I wanted to re-iterate the "when the chargers work" part. When they don't then it SUCKS.

If Ford/EA can get it down so it can do 10-90% in 40 mins on an ER pack then road trips will be fantastic in the car. I'm in 100% agreement though. Driving 4 hours+ before sucked, now I don't mind it at all...though I still fly most places haha.
Sponsored