AKPat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME GTPE, ‘14 F-350 DRW, ‘19 Edge ST
Country flag
How did this fair for you? Any updates from anyone else in this thread? Standard GT and live in Minneapolis and just got our first snow. I'm a Realtor who drives 3,000 miles a month and never have done snow tires ever.
They are doing well for me so far. I have run blizaks and X-ice recently on other vehicles. I would say they are comparable. We’ve had a cold dry winter so far, so I can not comment on their grip on glare or black ice yet.
Sponsored

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
I've had my MME GT PE for about a month now and I'm looking for winter tires. I have an idea in my head that if I go to a 20" and a size narrower I might regain some of the range lost due to cold weather. I'm looking for a "low rolling resistance" tire the maybe a little less wide. Has anybody else figured out what they're going to do? Thx
I'm getting the 235s in a 20 inch. Doing the verdesteins. Problem is all the affordable rims are way backordered on tire rack. Wont get them until Mid Jan

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 289 Convertible, 21 GB GTPE MME
Country flag
Just put on the new winter wheels/tires. 20" ASA GT14 wheels with 245 Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires. Took a few pics in my garage when I finished install. I think they're not too bad looking.

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

IMG_4031.jpeg

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Just put on the new winter wheels/tires. 20" ASA GT14 wheels with 245 Vredestein Wintrac Pro tires. Took a few pics in my garage when I finished install. I think they're not too bad looking.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires IMG_4031

I would love to do the verdesteins, but tire rack is out of them in that size.

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would love to do the verdesteins, but tire rack is out of them in that size.
I ordered them from Tirerack at the beginning of November and just got them. When I placed the order, they were out so I picked the Pirelli's, but I got lucky and they came back in stock for a short period. I changed my order right away to those when I saw them.

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
I ordered them from Tirerack at the beginning of November and just got them. When I placed the order, they were out so I picked the Pirelli's, but I got lucky and they came back in stock for a short period. I changed my order right away to those when I saw them.
Yeah I kind of figured that would end up being the way. I actually decided to do the minus 2 method after being able to verify the standard GT can fit 18s. Cheaper and will be better handling in the snow. Plus I'll get them Weds. Might up my winter range slightly too with the reduced weight of the wheel.

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GTPE, '02 M3, '11 F-150
Country flag

Looks good. I got these same wheels in the gray.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires Screenshot_20211113-151457_Gallery

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What to do on a nice 50F day in PA in late December. Clean the car. Looks good all cleaned up with the new winter wheels/tires.

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Please forgive the ignorance here, but the GTPE is my first vehicle with summer performance tires. Even though winters here in the northeast can get bad, I don’t plan on actually driving the car in snowy conditions (we have my wife’s car for that). Do I still need to look into winter/all season tires? It gets cold here but not sure how much that actually matters.
Thanks all

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Please forgive the ignorance here, but the GTPE is my first vehicle with summer performance tires. Even though winters here in the northeast can get bad, I don’t plan on actually driving the car in snowy conditions (we have my wife’s car for that). Do I still need to look into winter/all season tires? It gets cold here but not sure how much that actually matters.
Thanks all
Bottom line is summer performance tires are not designed to be driven in temperatures 45˚ or lower depending on the manufacture and model tire. Their tread compound becomes very hard and if it stays in extreme low temps, could develop cracking which is not covered by the warranty. Every manufacturer has a different temp rating for their summer tires so you need to check their warranty.

The Pirelli P-Zero tire that is on the GTPE has this in it's description:
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in summer performance tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° F (7° C). The P-Zero, like all summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

This in the Pirelli P-Zero warranty section:
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions.

This doesn't mean you can't drive HP summer tires in cold temps. Many people do but you definitely have decreased performance from the tire and sometimes to the point of dangerous conditions.

Michelin HP summer tires have a slightly lower cold temp rating. On my GT500 I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires which are passenger HP summer tires rated down to 40˚. While I almost never take the car out in the cold weather, I have driven it a few times when the outside temps were around 34˚-38˚ and it felt like I was almost on ice. It would break loose with a touch too much go pedal and the rear end had no problem sliding out if I pushed it just a bit. This is a car that sticks like glue when temps are normal (even better when it's hot).

On the other hand, my Mach-E GTPE has Michelin Latitude 3 SUV HP summer tires which are rated down to 32˚. While they also shouldn't be driven in extreme cold temps, they are much more forgiving than the Pilot Sport 4s's and they feel almost the same at freezing temps as they do when warm. I have even driven them on light snow and had no issues but I would not recommend them to be used as a winter tire, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bottom line is summer performance tires are not designed to be driven in temps below 32˚-45˚ depending on the manufacture and model tire. Their tread compound becomes very hard and if it stays in extreme low temps, could develop cracking which is not covered by the warranty. Every manufacturer has a different temp rating for their summer tires so you need to check their warranty.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in summer performance tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius). The P-Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions.

Now, this does not mean you absolutely cannot drive high performance summer tires in cold temps. Many people do but you defiantly have decreased performance from the tire and sometimes to the point of dangerous conditions.

Example for me is, on my GT500 I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires which are passenger HP summer tires rated down to 40˚. While I almost never take the car out in the cold weather, last week I drove it to town and it was about 38˚. It was almost like I was on ice. It would break loose with a touch too much go pedal and the rear end had no problem sliding out if I pushed it just a bit. This is a car that sticks like glue when temps are normal (even better when it's hot). On the other hand, my Mach-E GTPE has Michelin Latitude 3 SUV HP summer tires which are rated down to 32˚. While they also should not be driven in extreme cold temps, they are much more forgiving than the Pilot Sport 4s's and they feel just about the same at almost freezing as they do when warm. I have even driven them on light snow and had no issues but I would not recommend them to be used as a winter tire, that's for sure.
Thank you very much for this informative response. Looks like I’ll be shopping around for some decent all-season “performance” tires for the colder months. Lately we’ve had low 20s here and I did notice I got the back end loose on a harder turn, something I couldn’t do last week when it was a tad warmer.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bottom line is summer performance tires are not designed to be driven in temps below 32˚-45˚ depending on the manufacture and model tire. Their tread compound becomes very hard and if it stays in extreme low temps, could develop cracking which is not covered by the warranty. Every manufacturer has a different temp rating for their summer tires so you need to check their warranty.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in summer performance tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius). The P-Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Now, this does not mean you absolutely cannot drive high performance summer tires in cold temps. Many people do but you defiantly have decreased performance from the tire and sometimes to the point of dangerous conditions.

Example for me is, on my GT500 I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires which are passenger HP summer tires rated down to 40˚. While I almost never take the car out in the cold weather, last week I drove it to town and it was about 38˚. It was almost like I was on ice. It would break loose with a touch too much go pedal and the rear end had no problem sliding out if I pushed it just a bit. This is a car that sticks like glue when temps are normal (even better when it's hot). On the other hand, my Mach-E GTPE has Michelin Latitude 3 SUV HP summer tires which are rated down to 32˚. While they also should not be driven in extreme cold temps, they are much more forgiving than the Pilot Sport 4s's and they feel just about the same at almost freezing as they do when warm. I have even driven them on light snow and had no issues but I would not recommend them to be used as a winter tire, that's for sure.
Sorry another question…how detrimental is it to the tire to swap them out for the winter months onto the stock wheel? Does it stretch the tire too much doing it once in the late fall and once in early spring?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Thank you very much for this informative response. Looks like I’ll be shopping around for some decent all-season “performance” tires for the colder months. Lately we’ve had low 20s here and I did notice I got the back end loose on a harder turn, something I couldn’t do last week when it was a tad warmer.
I have DWS06+ on my 20s and they are the perfect do all tire (which is why so many of us had them). The prior issues with DWS06 tires having flat spotting issues are gone with this tire and overall performance is up in every category. I previously had the DWS06 and didn't mind the performance in most regards but the flat spotting every morning drove me bonkers.

While you said you didn't need snow performance I'll tell you that with our heavy car helping, I see no reason whatsoever for a winter tire. It's an absolute tank, even in the latest snow storm we had with ice under the snow. In every other condition this tire is fabulous. Dry grip greatly beats the stock GT conti's while the tire itself seems to have better road manners with impact absorption. Only trade off is a SLIGHT bit more noise than the GT conti. barely noticeable.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have DWS06+ on my 20s and they are the perfect do all tire (which is why so many of us had them). The prior issues with DWS06 tires having flat spotting issues are gone with this tire and overall performance is up in every category. I previously had the DWS06 and didn't mind the performance in most regards but the flat spotting every morning drove me bonkers.

While you said you didn't need snow performance I'll tell you that with our heavy car helping, I see no reason whatsoever for a winter tire. It's an absolute tank, even in the latest snow storm we had with ice under the snow. In every other condition this tire is fabulous. Dry grip greatly beats the stock GT conti's while the tire itself seems to have better road manners with impact absorption. Only trade off is a SLIGHT bit more noise than the GT conti. barely noticeable.
Thanks, I was looking at exactly those on tire rack. And good to know they’ll perform well enough in the snow, in case the need arises!

Are you running them on the stock GTPE wheels?
Sponsored