Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I hope the vehicle has reasonable safeguards against incorrect power inputs. Someone earlier speculated about a broken DC fast charger pumping 800V into the car. I would hope that there is a circuit breaker or something that trips, rather than the electronics modules being fried or the battery pack being destroyed. I want to see a display saying something like “improper charger connected. Disconnect immediately. Circuit breaker X tripped to protect vehicle. Reset circuit breaker after disconnecting charger.” I don’t want to see a puff of smoke coming from the battery electronics module.
Sponsored

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
I am actually very pleased that Ford took the conservative approach, and it makes plenty of sense why. This launch was new territory and they could ill afford to mess it up, especially with other EVs like the F-150, Transit and others coming down the pike. I agree that ComEd needs to clean up their act, but the Illinois Commerce Commission lets them get away with it, and any attempt to force that change is a bureaucratic nightmare that no one seems to want to enter. Knowing what we're being told now only validates that other manufacturers were much more liberal with their tolerances, thus they charged when plugged in. My only fault with Ford is the dealers' unpreparedness to deal with the concerns tied to this issue. When I have a service advisor tell me that the people on these forums are a-holes that are ill-informed and spreading falsehoods about this issue and its resolution, which I did last week, I have to lay the blame for that kind of behavior on the manufacturer and their training to deal with BEV issues.

I just want the software update at this point. It's my only real complaint about the car, and I just want to enjoy having and driving it.
Based on my conversation when someone in Detroit reached out to me a few weeks ago, the recent posts about quality of power delivery and sine waves are exactly what they are targeting for the next OTA update. Just like the unique charging curve and its conservative strategy to protect the battery, the same could be said for the thresholds set for acceptable levels for power delivery. At least it only takes an OTA to remediate the problem (hopefully). Yeah, we wish it was delivered sooner than later. Not everyone who is impacted has a fast charging site as close to home to minimize the inconvenience.

I'll be reaching back out to my escalation path if we don't see the OTA by the first week of May.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
My car is with the dealer to apply the software update to resolve the sine wave issue effecting 240V charging. Hope to get the car back within the next day to test at the house. Fingers crossed that this resolves the issue....the Ford Mach-E team is pretty optimistic.

Sorry for the lack of communication. I was honoring a request by Ford Mach-E engineers to give them time to correct the software to address the sine wave issue in Illinois. The Ford Mach-E engineering team has been awesome and very responsive to my requests for updates. Sorry I could not share the updates with the forum but I understand why they wanted to limit information from being shared publicly until they released the software module updates to the dealers. Hopefully within the next week this forum thread will just read......GO GET THE UPDATE FROM YOUR DEALER.

Happy driving!

Last edited:

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
My car is with the dealer to apply the software update to resolve the sine wave issue effecting 240V charging. Hope to get the car back within the next day to test at the house. Fingers crossed that this resolves the issue....the Ford Mach-E team is pretty optimistic.
Mine going in Monday.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Sorry for the lack of communication. I was honoring a request by Ford Mach-E engineers to give them time to correct the software to address the sine wave issue in Illinois. The Ford Mach-E engineering team has been awesome and very responsive to my requests for updates. Sorry I could not share the updates with the forum but I understand why they wanted to limit information from being shared publicly until they released the software module updates to the dealers. Hopefully within the next week this forum thread will just read......GO GET THE UPDATE FROM YOUR DEALER.

Happy driving!
Standing by!

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag

Happy driving!
Thanks for keeping us posted. Just made my appointment for Monday too !

Curt

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My appointment is Wednesday. As soon as I heard the news I was on the phone with the dealer this morning.
Do the dealers know about the update yet? I was under the impression I wouldn't have to go to the dealers for updates as they would happen automatically? Not that I'm complaining if they get this fixed.

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
Do the dealers know about the update yet? I was under the impression I wouldn't have to go to the dealers for updates as they would happen automatically? Not that I'm complaining if they get this fixed.
Not all updates can be done OTA. Some have to be flashed at the dealership.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
It needs to be applied by the dealer. These updates are not OTA. Dealers have been issued the bulletin in the last two days so they should now be aware.

Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
My dealer is the one who called me this morning and scheduled the update for Monday.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
My dealer was aware of the update. I'd been talking to them about the issue for the past month, so it was on their radar.

ktgeek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10FusionHybrid,'18Expedition, RapidRed MME AWD eR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Happy driving!
I was just e-mailing the service manager at my dealer to open up a case. Then I came here and read the good news so I immediately replied with all the info from the thread.

Wh00ho00. This has been our *only* problem in 4 days of ownership and I love that it seems to be getting cleared up in a week or so. (Especially since we're driving down to Rantoul this weekend... the charge anxiety is real.)