How long do you plan to keep your Mach E?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Until my Ford Lighting comes through. I am around number 100,000 on the wait list
Did your dealer actually put in an order for you? Mine said they were going to but I'm pretty sure the salesperson I got stuck with is just counting days until retirement and doesn't care at all about doing the things required to make this happen.
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
wow.. I did not realize there are lot of folks who change EXPENSIVE cars every 2-3 years.
what do you do for a living :oops:
Trade in before resale drops (or return lease) are my guesses.

I've always purchased and kept my cars for quite a while myself. The 2016 Mustang was the fastest trade-in I'd ever done before.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
wow.. I did not realize there are lot of folks who change EXPENSIVE cars every 2-3 years.
Most of my short-term vehicles have been high-value, high-resale-value vehicles. We recently sold a 2019 for more than we bought it for, including taxes. We essentially paid for gas and insurance to drive the vehicle for 30,000 miles.

The truck I currently drive has a resale value of about 10% more than I paid, but I don't plan to sell it. I left the dealership knowing I could sell the vehicle that day for more than I'd paid (including taxes).

We had to sell the truck previous to that because of me being furloughed and no knowledge of when I would start receiving a paycheck again (changed jobs since). I sold it for low blue book, but I needed the cash. We'd had that truck for six years.

We have tended to keep the vehicles that don't have high resale value for much longer (6-15 years, depending on the vehicle).

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Most of my short-term vehicles have been high-value, high-resale-value vehicles. We recently sold a 2019 for more than we bought it for, including taxes. We essentially paid for gas and insurance to drive the vehicle for 30,000 miles.

The truck I currently drive has a resale value of about 10% more than I paid, but I don't plan to sell it. I left the dealership knowing I could sell the vehicle that day for more than I'd paid (including taxes).

We had to sell the truck previous to that because of me being furloughed and no knowledge of when I would start receiving a paycheck again (changed jobs since). I sold it for low blue book, but I needed the cash. We'd had that truck for six years.

We have tended to keep the vehicles that don't have high resale value for much longer (6-15 years, depending on the vehicle).
but thats just this and last year(release value is more). Prior to that all the cars depreciate like a rock. money should come from somewhere..

I am not saying changing cars is not a good idea. Some people do not like to have any issues with there cars so they only drive for the best period of the car(2-3 years) - and I respect that. Just trying to understand

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
8-10 years. I figure in 5 years battery technology and aftermarket support will be quite great allowing a sub $10k pack replacement extending the life of the vehicle.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
I have "flipped" many cars through out my lifetime. They have all been used cars when I purchased them and I fixed them up with the intention of selling them quick.

I would guess that 75% of the vehicles I have purchased have been used (I have purchased around 5 cars that were salvaged title as well).

Once again, today's climate will not last forever and I am guessing that we will never see this again on a mass scale of buying a new car and getting more on the resale ever again in my lifetime.

With that being said, I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with 35,000 miles on it that I paid 24 k , 3 years ago. If I sold it today, I think I could get around 28 k for it. This is just crazy. ?

Strike the iron while it is hot. It will soon cool off.........

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
but thats just this and last year(release value is more). Prior to that all the cars depreciate like a rock. money should come from somewhere..

I am not saying changing cars is not a good idea. Some people do not like to have any issues with there cars so they only drive for the best period of the car(2-3 years) - and I respect that. Just trying to understand
For the most part, that's true (depreciation is massive). But when we're feeling like a new car, we watch the deals and opportunities, both for selling the current vehicle and buying the new vehicle. For example, we sold the 2019 in anticipation of buying the Mustang and we still don't have the Mustang, so that's been inconvenient, but we weren't sure if the used car market would still be stupid when we finally get the Mustang.

Another example: The truck I sold after having it for six or seven years was technically a "used" vehicle with about 120 miles on it when we bought it. The previous owner had traded it back to the dealer because they weren't happy with a thing we didn't care about. We didn't lose much when we sold it for low blue book, and it served us well in those years.

We are generally very careful with which vehicles we'll buy and when, and similarly careful with selling. We don't pay MSRP, and we almost never trade in a vehicle. The Mustang is the first car I will ever have bought for MSRP.

I have no idea what other people do...

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
I expect to keep the Mach-E for at least 5 years but hoping that it can be a 10+ year car. I see no reason this, plus a second, larger EV in 3-5 years won't meet my family's needs for a very long time to come.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I plan to keep mine for a long time, as we do with most cars. I'm about to replace my 2003 Tacoma with an F-150 Lightning.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I plan to keep mine for a long time, as we do with most cars. I'm about to replace my 2003 Tacoma with an F-150 Lightning.
This is what our hope/plan is as well (Tacoma for F-150 L). We supposedly have an order for the F-150 L in, but it's still showing as a reservation rather than an order. Dealer hasn't been as helpful as I'd like.
If we can make this work, I don't think we'll be replacing either vehicle for a long time.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is what our hope/plan is as well (Tacoma for F-150 L). We supposedly have an order for the F-150 L in, but it's still showing as a reservation rather than an order. Dealer hasn't been as helpful as I'd like.
If we can make this work, I don't think we'll be replacing either vehicle for a long time.
Did you place the order online? When? You should see order placed and order accepted by dealer.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Did you place the order online? When? You should see order placed and order accepted by dealer.
No. I placed my reservation online.

On the day orders opened to the general public, the dealer's GM called me and asked me if I wanted to place the order, to which I said, "let me think about it," and he said, "oh, I see you already have an order for the Mustang, so I'll let your salesperson keep working with you." I emailed my salesperson with the specs I wanted to order and they half-heartedly responded but never gave me any documentation that indicated they'd placed the order. I followed up a week or so ago asking if there was anything I needed to do and they responded, "no, I'm good."

I haven't contacted the GM again to get the order pushed through.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No. I placed my reservation online.

On the day orders opened to the general public, the dealer's GM called me and asked me if I wanted to place the order, to which I said, "let me think about it," and he said, "oh, I see you already have an order for the Mustang, so I'll let your salesperson keep working with you." I emailed my salesperson with the specs I wanted to order and they half-heartedly responded but never gave me any documentation that indicated they'd placed the order. I followed up a week or so ago asking if there was anything I needed to do and they responded, "no, I'm good."

I haven't contacted the GM again to get the order pushed through.
I'll DM you on this.

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
For the most part, that's true (depreciation is massive). But when we're feeling like a new car, we watch the deals and opportunities, both for selling the current vehicle and buying the new vehicle. For example, we sold the 2019 in anticipation of buying the Mustang and we still don't have the Mustang, so that's been inconvenient, but we weren't sure if the used car market would still be stupid when we finally get the Mustang.

Another example: The truck I sold after having it for six or seven years was technically a "used" vehicle with about 120 miles on it when we bought it. The previous owner had traded it back to the dealer because they weren't happy with a thing we didn't care about. We didn't lose much when we sold it for low blue book, and it served us well in those years.

We are generally very careful with which vehicles we'll buy and when, and similarly careful with selling. We don't pay MSRP, and we almost never trade in a vehicle. The Mustang is the first car I will ever have bought for MSRP.

I have no idea what other people do...
Okay so it's all in doing the homework while buying the vehicle (funding a good deal)

Nothing much we can do at the time of selling. Got it
Sponsored