How to - remove front license plate bracket

metoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G8 GT
Country flag
...... He deleted the no charge item and commented that if it isn't in the car it won't be installed by his guys. Mine arrived with a clean front end. Now we know it is a factory installed item.....
The dealer said that "his" guys wouldn't install it if it wasn't in the car. That sounds like the dealership installs them.
Sponsored

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
The dealer said that "his" guys wouldn't install it if it wasn't in the car. That sounds like the dealership installs them.
My dealer said the same but apparently the MMEs are not following what has been typical in the past. So if it’s on the order, it will likely get put on at factory.

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I decide to trickle charge my LVB do I need to unhook the other cables that are connected to my LVB?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If I decide to trickle charge my LVB do I need to unhook the other cables that are connected to my LVB?
no, you should leave everything connected!
you could attach trickle charger to LVB, or a heating blanket ;)

if the LVB voltage/temp sensor is working correctly, the main battery *should* wake up and charge the LVB when needed without a trickle charger though.

Gkabrown

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 1966 Mustang Fastback 2021 MachE FE Grey
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
If anyone is looking for a single Carbonized Grey bumper plug, feel free to DM me. Definitely can save you $$$ from having to order a whole second pack.. (thanks Ford!)
If you still have it? I could use it! Thanks

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Followed the instructions here. Will admit that using the drill on it gave me a little anxiety, but made the process a lot easier. I ordered 2x packs of bumperplugs (2 each) and I think it color matches just fine.

63726894539__44F8BF71-295A-4DA4-9274-1E8825D01D6B.JPEG

IMG_0120.JPEG
I just realized they only come with two, ugh... I’m annoyed that I didn’t realize this. Want to sell one of yours?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I just realized they only come with two, ugh... I’m annoyed that I didn’t realize this. Want to sell one of yours?
Black ones at the hardware store cost a dollar
;)

You might want to buy a can of touch up paint just for the awful occurrence of scraping on a curb or something, and use the first squirt to color match plugs

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Ext. Range - Infinite Blue
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Black ones at the hardware store cost a dollar
;)

You might want to buy a can of touch up paint just for the awful occurrence of scraping on a curb or something, and use the first squirt to color match plugs
I used 1/4" hole plugs from Home Depot that are $.89/pair and some touch up paint/clear coat. Perfect fit without having to make the holes any bigger than they already were. To remove the plate bracket I used a fastener removal tool like this. A couple of the fasters broke but I'm not brave enough to go near my car's front bumper with a drill. Also including a photo of the end result. Not the best photo but the color match is great and they look factory. If they fall out, I bought extras and have plenty of touch up paint (nice to have regardless of this DIY project).

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to - remove front license plate bracket 1618325206244

Ford Mustang Mach-E How to - remove front license plate bracket IMG_2474

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Well, I don't have a heat gun, but I do have a drill. So using a 1/8" drill but, I drilled into the center of the rivet so as to push in the pin. Was rather easy, though you do lose the pins behind the bumper. Used a trim tool to pull out the rivets. All in all a pretty easy removal - 5 min or so.

Will plug with some bumper plugs I ordered (supposed to get them today).

Now time to install Craigs bracket...

So basically you just drill into the center of it until the center falls out, and then use a plier-like tool to pull the rest out?

pti

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
attorney
Country flag
I removed mine.

Step one- wedge 4 fingers behind right side of bracket .

Step two- yank the thing off shattering said plastic rivets.

Step three- place three new plastic rivets to fill holes.

I simply pulled mine off, too, and had no issues. Just be sure to be pushing back on the bumper plastic as you are pulling outward slowly on the plate holder. Do one snap at a time, slowly, and don't let the other side of the holder dig into the bumper. My plastic rivets stretched out and eventually pulled out.

Also, to save anyone else from wasting time asking, BumperPlugs guy was clear with me that he won't make packages in odd quantities (despite stating 40% of his customers have odd numbers of holes):

"We have over 1800 colors in stock. In order to expedite orders quickly for our customers we prepackage our inventory in pairs. Otherwise we’d not be able to meet our customer expectations for prompt service. Nearly 40% of our customers have odd-numbers, and they understand they’ll need pairs, with a spare left over in case of trouble later."

When I politely declined and thanked him genuinely for the quick response, I got:

"... Plenty of our customers have odd #s of holes. They buy the # of pairs needed, we expedite, and they love that the finish matches their vehicle 100%…same color, same chemistry, same look. This includes the hundreds of Mach-E customers who have either 3 or 4 holes (some have less, some more)."
If people with odd numbers of holes "need pairs," what about those poor 60% of souls who have an even number of holes, and by that logic, would "need" pairs plus one? ?

Last edited:

pti

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
attorney
Country flag
I went to Lowes and found some plastic plugs that are fine for now to fill the bumper holes from the removed front plate bracket. I may get another set and paint them gloss black, but honestly the matte black looks fine as-is.

Item: 138275 PSHFSTNR PNL RTNR NISSAN

$0.84 each when buying three, which is the number of holes in the bumper. ;)

aphyr

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
If anyone needs a single red bumper plug, PM me with your address! I'll mail it to ya. :)

[Edit: claimed by a member!]

Last edited:

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
The whole rivet will pull out if you drill the center with a 1/8" bit. Just drill deep enough until the rivet is loose.
Sponsored