Installing Comma.ai / OpenPilot (BlueCruise alternative)

OP
OP
RyanSD

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A few questions:
1. So you have to control the gas/brake while OP controls the steering?
2. Can one co-steer like BC, or does OP give up like Tesla?
3. How does one switch back to BC for a trip?
4. Is longitudinal control looking like it's going to happen in a couple of months?
5. Is there a 2nd hand mkt with Comma 3x, if one doesn't like it?

Last edited:

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
A few questions:
1. So you have to control the gas/brake while OP controls the steering?
Not at all. Ford Adaptive Cruise Control is active and controlling the gas + brake, and OP replaces the Ford lane centering logic. Using OP is very similar to using BC except better. The biggest difference is that OP engages as soon as you engage cruise control, rather waiting for you to turn on lane centering.
2. How does one switch back to BC for a trip?
There is a simple toggle in setting to turn the Comma into a Dashcam and disable all logic, reverting back to BlueCruise (You'll never want to do do this one you try OP)

3. Is longitudinal control looking like it's going to happen in a couple of months?
I don't think so, but it looks like you misunderstood how it works, see item 1. I don't think long control is a big deal. It's mainly only needed for full self-driving features like stopping at red lights and making turns fully autonomous.

4. Is there a 2nd hand mkt with Comma 3x, if one doesn't like it?
It shouldn't be hard to sell it used, but they also have a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee.

briankwest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting, 2023 Mustang Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
After running OpenPilot for a few weeks, I've moved over to a popular fork called SunnyPilot and was able to resolve the fingerprint issue by modifying some of the Panda code in uds.py and adding the Mach-E ECU values. Vehicle now being recognized properly.

1698990727330.png

I maintain my own personal GitHub fork for personal usage and highly recommend, to anyone interested, do the same.

1698990804291.png
Did you do a pull request to update SunnyPilot for the ECU values for the Mach-e?

OP
OP
RyanSD

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
Did you do a pull request to update SunnyPilot for the ECU values for the Mach-e?
No, I have my own fork and update/add the values needed in my personal branch. All pull requests, regarding fingerprinting, should be against the commaai/openpilot/master and then they will be pulled into SunnyPilot. Several of us have PRs with commaai/openpilot to help with Ford fingerprinting.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
@AjzRide Since there is no longitudinal control, does that mean you can’t use OP in traffic? Because it won’t slow down for cars in front of you?

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
@AjzRide Since there is no longitudinal control, does that mean you can’t use OP in traffic? Because it won’t slow down for cars in front of you?
Ford ACC slows down for traffic, that is by definition what ACC does.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford ACC slows down for traffic, that is by definition what ACC does.
So is Ford’s software stack running the adaptive cruise portion and the open pilot stack is just doing the steering? Or is open pilot also intercepting and using the radar data?

Also curious how this will interact with automatic lane changes.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
So is Ford’s software stack running the adaptive cruise portion and the open pilot stack is just doing the steering? Or is open pilot also intercepting and using the radar data?

Also curious how this will interact with automatic lane changes.
For now it's using ford's ACC unless you want to try and use one of the experimental features. Eventually it will start to use the vehicle's own sensors but right now it's relying on stereoscopic vision. It's continually evolving and shouldn't be seen as a static fixed feature set.

What makes its driving capabilities better is that it's using machine learning to understand how the vehicle drives/handles, unlike bluecruise where you've got to input all of the vehicle's specs so it can run handmade algos. The OP software stack learns all of that on the fly.

It's smart enough to know if you have an alignment issue or under-inflated tire. That's the level of sophistication the device brings in its current software, with plenty more to come. They have hours of videos on their YT channel that are worth the watch.

briankwest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting, 2023 Mustang Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Should be there on the cars with radar, like the Mach-e and Lightning from what I can tell.

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@AjzRide , are Comma employees writing the Ford specific layer, or is it community members?

Could you also please share the GitHub fork of the source code you use on the F150?

Thanks

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
@AjzRide , are Comma employees writing the Ford specific layer, or is it community members?

Could you also please share the GitHub fork of the source code you use on the F150?

Thanks
The community is developing ford at the moment. I installed stock OP and then used SSH to hardcore my fingerprint and disable dash cam:

connect to Comma3x via SSH:

sudo nano openpilot/launch_openpilot.sh
======================================================
#!/usr/bin/bash"

export PASSIVE="0"
export FINGERPRINT="FORD F-150 14TH GEN" <==== Add this line
exec ./launch_chffrplus.sh
======================================================

sudo nano openpilot/selfdrive/car/ford/interface.py
=======================================================
class CarInterface(CarInterfaceBase):
@staticmethod
def _get_params(ret, candidate, fingerprint, car_fw, experimental_long, docs):
ret.carName = "ford"
# ret.dashcamOnly = candidate in {CAR.F_150_MK14} <==== Add the # at the front of this line

ret.radarUnavailable = True
ret.steerControlType = car.CarParams.SteerControlType.angle
=======================================================

Reboot the Comma3x
Sponsored