David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
Is there the equivalent of a 12v battery terminal to connect jumper cables to jump start stranded ICE drivers?
Or should I throw away my jumper cables?
I also have a 600w inverter that clips to regular battery terminals or plugs into 12v accessory socket (formerly used for cigarette lighters).
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there the equivalent of a 12v battery terminal to connect jumper cables to jump start stranded ICE drivers?
Or should I throw away my jumper cables?
I also have a 600w inverter that clips to regular battery terminals or plugs into 12v accessory socket (formerly used for cigarette lighters).
I think I've heard there's still supposed to be a regular 12v car battery in it too for accessories and such.

And I'll be surprised if there's not a 120v AC outlet built in. There usually is on nicer cars anymore. Our 2013 Escapes have them (although they're only 150w).

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I think I've heard there's still supposed to be a regular 12v car battery in it too for accessories and such.

And I'll be surprised if there's not a 120v AC outlet built in. There usually is on nicer cars anymore. Our 2013 Escapes have them (although they're only 150w).
In the frunk area, drivers side under the plastic cover is where I think the 12v battery is. See the battery symbol on the right.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Jump starting ICEs 72D00F9F-771F-4A4A-9AAD-67A92B0FE2C0

OP
OP
Dkuhnke

Dkuhnke

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
Okay, thanks. I wonder what the other symbols for for?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So how does the 12V battery recharge? Does it draw power from the main battery? Does it charge from the charger? Or even regen?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
So how does the 12V battery recharge? Does it draw power from the main battery? Does it charge from the charger? Or even regen?
There's a dc-dc convertor that charges the 12v from the larger battery.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
@Dkuhnke I would never use the 12V battery of an EV to jumpstart an ICE, there is no motor running so your 12V drains very quick

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I think the second from the right is a notice to read the owners manual. The others I think mean ā€˜if you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing then donā€™t mess around under hereā€™.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Building on what others have said, and what Iā€™ve read on this forum, electric cars still have the 12V battery to run the same things that they would in an ICE. The 12V gets recharged when the car is ā€˜onā€™ or if you are plugged in. But if you parked the car unplugged and went traveling for say a month, my understanding is that the 12V is likely to be dead upon return just like in an ICE, and you would have to jump the 12V.

See here.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
@Dkuhnke I would never use the 12V battery of an EV to jumpstart an ICE, there is no motor running so your 12V drains very quick
I've jumped others several times in my C-Max. While it isn't a BEV, it also doesn't have an alternator driven by an ICE. It uses a DC to DC convertor just like the Mach-E to charge the 12-volt.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I havenā€™t seen any mention of a 120v AC outlet or seen one in any Mach-E pictures, so I donā€™t think there is one. Which is a real bummer because they could power it off the drive battery to support high wattage. My Outlander PHEV has an AC plug thatā€˜s rated for 1500 watts. Itā€™s been great to be able to run an extension cord from the refrigerator to the garage during power outages.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I made a short video of how the FFE works. Many EVs have a similar method.
The 12v battery does not charge when plugged in to shore power. The only way for the 12v battery to charge is when the HVB contactors are closed.
Link to video...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would recommend against jump starting another vehicle with your EV unless in an emergency situation or absolutely no other option.

There is some risk of damage to your EV components if something goes wrong so just think twice before doing it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
"Warning! You will die from electricity unless you read the owner's manual book that you don't have because it's all electronic!"
that's a rough translation
Sponsored