Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have posted in several areas how taking the rear springs off are fairly easy as there are only two bolts to remove (lower control arm and lower shock bolts) then press down on the lower control arm and remove the spring.

On the front spring removal, it is a little more time consuming. You remove the strut tower support bolt and the three upper strut bolts. Then remove the upper sway bar link bolt, then the two bolts that hold the lower strut assembly to the wheel knuckle and remove the strut assembly. It’s more time consuming compressing the spring, removing it and reinstalling the spring in the strut than it is removing the strut assembly itself.

You do not need to remove or disassemble the brakes, calipers or rotors on either the front or rear for either job.

Below are photos of the bolts you need to remove for removing the front strut assembly.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Lowering Spring Development Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 8.44.39 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Lowering Spring Development Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 8.45.00 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Lowering Spring Development Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 8.44.22 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Lowering Spring Development Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 8.47.21 AM

Last edited:
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
ok so I'm going to pretend I'm on Reddit and say EILI5 - explain it like I'm 5 years old.

you have springs to lower by 1.5" that you can also sell to others for $575 on an E4X that improved the ride a bit, is that right?

and the pictures are of the results of that specific set (there was a 1" set mentioned as well so I'm making sure I'm being very clear) with the stock wheels and tires?

and this is something a dealer can easily do on request with the parts?
Yes sir. The setup you see now is the 1.5” drop. I will have another set of 1.5” springs in a couple weeks. FedEx lost the rear so I’m having another pair made to complete the set.

I have two sets of complete 1” Drop springs.

This took me all of 3 hours in my garage. The process is easy and Mark’s info was super helpful. Would have been faster, but getting the lower control arm bolt in/out was time consuming. Odd Angles.

If I were to do this again I would consider doing the GT non-magneride shocks/struts at the same time. Mark mentioned that also reduced some of the bounce associated with these cars.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
@markboris, how did you get the knuckle to line up with the control arm when putting the new springs in? @50 Deep said he had a lot of problems with it. I can't get it back together at all.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@markboris, how did you get the knuckle to line up with the control arm when putting the new springs in? @50 Deep said he had a lot of problems with it. I can't get it back together at all.
Depending on how much you lift up the rear rotor, you can line up the holes better. It was a PITA but I did it several times while I was changing out different springs. As I would get it close to being lined up, I put a steal rod in one side to keep it in that position then pried it over to allow the bolt to come in easier from the other side. Kind of hard to explain but I do remember at one point I almost gave up on one of them but then it just worked. Sorry I cannot give you some magic way to do this but just stick with it and you will get it.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depending on how much you lift up the rear rotor, you can line up the holes better. It was a PITA but I did it several times while I was changing out different springs. As I would get it close to being lined up, I put a steal rod in one side to keep it in that position then pried it over to allow the bolt to come in easier from the other side. Kind of hard to explain but I do remember at one point I almost gave up on one of them but then it just worked. Sorry I cannot give you some magic way to do this but just stick with it and you will get it.
That really tested my patience, @markboris, but I got it done like you said I would. Hopefully you think it looks better now. :)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Lowering Spring Development IMG_3944
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Lowering Spring Development IMG_3945

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag

delacruz.c5d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium eAWD Extended Battery
Occupation
Horrible Golfer that can reboot a computer
Country flag
This is an interesting thread.

A couple of questions I have about this:

1) For those of you that have lowered your Mach-E's via these springs, have you noticed any bump steer? I know that this is usually the first GROAN question when people start talking about lowering springs, but I've done that on my other car, and frankly the bump steer on that from a 1.5" drop is kinda annoying. Maybe this suspension geometry doesn't get bump steer with lowering springs? That would be kinda weird though...

2) It's interesting that the higher spring rate of the rears did less the bouncy/floaty feel in these cars. I would've guessed that that would be affected by the shocks, but maybe the stiffer spring rate makes the rear suspension not get "as deep" because of it? <- that's a total guess on my part.

Either way, the lowered look is nice. While I don't think I'll do this living in "The Great White North", and plan on driving my Mach-E in the winter time, I can see the allure.

Thanks in advance for any response.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is an interesting thread.

A couple of questions I have about this:

1) For those of you that have lowered your Mach-E's via these springs, have you noticed any bump steer? I know that this is usually the first GROAN question when people start talking about lowering springs, but I've done that on my other car, and frankly the bump steer on that from a 1.5" drop is kinda annoying. Maybe this suspension geometry doesn't get bump steer with lowering springs? That would be kinda weird though...

2) It's interesting that the higher spring rate of the rears did less the bouncy/floaty feel in these cars. I would've guessed that that would be affected by the shocks, but maybe the stiffer spring rate makes the rear suspension not get "as deep" because of it? <- that's a total guess on my part.

Either way, the lowered look is nice. While I don't think I'll do this living in "The Great White North", and plan on driving my Mach-E in the winter time, I can see the allure.

Thanks in advance for any response.
I haven't noted any bump steer at all. The car still goes straight as an arrow. As for the ride, it's far better with the springs I got from @50 Deep. I'm glad I invested in them. The ones he made are much more substantial than the stock springs. The lowered stance looks much more aggressive IMHO. If you do it yourself, it's a job that takes patience as it can get really frustrating, especially the rears with the weird angles and obstructions that slow you down. I was thankful I had two jacks so I could line up the control arm with the knuckle. I can't imagine it being easy without the second one.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Have been looking for the new thread the was started, showing the pictured difference between 1", 1.5" and I think what was a 1.5/2.25 staggered drop... Can one of you few that are lowered point me to that thread with pictures?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
More than 6 months ago when I called Steeda, they were "developing" lowering springs also but as of right now, still nothing.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
More than 6 months ago when I called Steeda, they were "developing" lowering springs also but as of right now, still nothing.
Saw that as well.

I even gave Whiteline a call to see if they had any interest. Nada.

A friend of mine operates Open Road Tuning and he told me he could get custom springs developed, and even his in-house line of coilovers. Thought about that as well, but more along the lines of a cup kit - help lower the MME, and provide a better quality ride with adjustable gas struts and shocks.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.