Mustang Mach-e or an ICE car powered by dinosaur blood: which is cheaper to operate?

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
In short: the cost per mile depends on the price of gasoline and the price of electricity. I make this table to help out:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mustang Mach-e or an ICE car powered by dinosaur blood: which is cheaper to operate? Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 14.19.34

For example: if your electricity costs $0.15/kWh and your current gas price is $4/gallon, then the Mach-E is equivalent to a 72 MPG car. For comparison: a Prius is about 50MPG, and the average new car is about 25MPG. The 72MPG value means that the MME is about 3X cheaper per mile than a comparable 2-row SUV. And that ICE SUV would not be nearly as fast and fun to drive ;)

If you charge at a DCFC station for $0.43/kWh, and the gas price is $3.50, then the Mach-e costs the same as a 22MPG car. And then the cost per mile is about the same as a comparable SUV.

The EPA window sticker of my MME shows 91 MPGe. It would take a high gas price and a low electric rate to hit that number. Most people will get lower because states with low electric rates generally also have lower gas prices.

The data is based on EPA usage values for an AWD extended range (non-GT) MME.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
What do I win?............... .10kWh and $3.90 gal for regular here. Puts me somewhere between 101 and 107.

At times kWh is as low as 9cents here but rarely goes over 10cents

dwee415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber blue Mach E GT non-performance
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Many of us live in California. The Y axis may need to go higher up.
By the way, I'm 2 weeks into driving my new Mach E GT. It's awesome.
It's the first time I've been eager to get in my car to drive to work on Monday mornings.

Edit: I'm sitting at work now. Can't wait for work to be over so I can drive back home.

devildog125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD, '22 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Occupation
Law Enforcement Software Engineer
Country flag
.9 cents here and gas is I think $3.80

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The simple answer is if you charge at home off-peak it is always cheaper to operated an EV. However, that is not the only costs involved with a choice between EV and ICE. Other threads discuss this so I will not. Charging on the road may be different but on average it will remain cheaper.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
In my northern California county, the average price of regular gas is $5.69/gal. My EV2-A rate for charging my MME and Tesla (off-peak) is $0.24/KwH. So by your chart my estimated MPG for the EVs is about 65 MPG. That's less than my MME's sticker value, which says 97 e-MPG average.

But of course, no chart can factor in the intangible value of doing the right thing by not burning fossil fuels and making climate change worse!

OP
OP
RobbertPatrison

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
In my northern California county, the average price of regular gas is $5.69/gal. My EV2-A rate for charging my MME and Tesla (off-peak) is $0.24/KwH. So by your chart my estimated MPG for the EVs is about 65 MPG. That's less than my MME's sticker value, which says 97 e-MPG average.

But of course, no chart can factor in the intangible value of doing the right thing by not burning fossil fuels and making climate change worse!
I'm also on PG&E EV2-A. Their kWh price is a little high as we consumers are paying for the wildfires they caused. And indeed, the MPGe makes little sense to compare with ICE cars, other than to compare between EVs

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
Here in my neck of the woods a kWh is a little under 18 cents, and gas is hovering around $4.00. So that puts me equivalent to about 62 MPG, but then figure in the lower maintenance costs (no oil changes, brake pads and rotors lasting longer, etc.), and the fun factor of instant torque and quiet propulsion, also feeling like I'm lowering my carbon footprint a smidge... Yep, I think I'm going to enjoy driving this car. A lot.

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
Mine would roughly be in two hundreds then lol .06 here with 91 for my explorer costing 5.09

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Here in my neck of the woods a kWh is a little under 18 cents, and gas is hovering around $4.00. So that puts me equivalent to about 62 MPG, but then figure in the lower maintenance costs (no oil changes, brake pads and rotors lasting longer, etc.), and the fun factor of instant torque and quiet propulsion, also feeling like I'm lowering my carbon footprint a smidge... Yep, I think I'm going to enjoy driving this car. A lot.
Correct.
The real cost of ownership is acquisition cost+fuel+maintenance+repairs+insurance +registration - end of period value.

Usually a BEV will be far less expensive than ICE.

For example, my energy off peak is 6.77 cents per kWh including delivery fees. Registration is MUCH less than ICE in my state, so about $72 for 5 years vs $4800. It all adds up quickly.

My EV makes me money. Literally pays for itself.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Correct.
The real cost of ownership is acquisition cost+fuel+maintenance+repairs+insurance +registration - end of period value.

Usually a BEV will be far less expensive than ICE.

For example, my energy off peak is 6.77 cents per kWh including delivery fees. Registration is MUCH less than ICE in my state, so about $72 for 5 years vs $4800. It all adds up quickly.

My EV makes me money. Literally pays for itself.
I think I've posted a dozen times about the math I did to model the future energy costs and maintenance costs. Our Mustang will be making money for us within 3-4 years of owning it even if gas drops back to $3.00/gallon and I only charge on public charges at 3-4x the cost of my home charging.

The people who argue that an EV cannot be cheaper than an ICE are hilariously out of touch.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Using 45 mpg my equivalent off my solar system is $1.99 per gallon.

Also, I don’t think oil is from dinosaur blood, I think it arose from microorganisms and vegetation.

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Petroleum products are formed from the remains of ancient, mostly marine/some land organisms, such as plants(coal), algae, and bacteria (yes, prehistoric plants and animals[oil and gas], not dinosaurs).
The process entailed many millions of years.
A very limited resource.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I charge my EVs(two) using solar power directly- 90%+, i.e. most of the (day)time. Therefore, out of pocket expense is essentially $0.00.
We are 100% electric. No fossil fuels (net) for energy. We produce more energy than we use.
Electricity is ~ $.13/kWh.
Our current system (including [expensive]battery backup), over time, should cost ~ $150/mo. over 20 years or ~ $140/mo. over 25 years.
The utility company pays us essentially nothing (5 mils/kWh, ~.16% of their least expensive energy source) for our overproduction, most of which is produced during peak usage and largely in summer months.
This would translate, under current rates, to <$200/mo. over the 20 year span, factoring the in pittance the utility company pays us, what they charge us for using their energy in the winter and solar costs.
Subtracting savings over the time period, we will come out ahead.
The most important point of all of this is we will be using a renewable energy source for our energy consumption.
I know, you think me crazy after all these years. Probably true, been hearing that for over half a century.

Have fun driving in your car MME.

footnote: do not want to go off grid . Want to provide that excess energy to the grid.
Also considering doubling solar capacity (Colorado now permits 200% of usage).
Damn battery costs.
Next EV will be bidirectional.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
Petroleum products are formed from the remains of ancient, mostly marine/some land organisms, such as plants(coal), algae, and bacteria (yes, prehistoric plants and animals[oil and gas], not dinosaurs).
The process entailed many millions of years.
A very limited resource.
Ah, you just admitted fossil fuels are renewable -- just takes a while. The "Never EV" folks will take that and run with it. :p
Sponsored