My ChargePoint Home Flex Installed

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Yes, in that case you would want to look at installing two lower amp chargers like 24 or 32A which will still get the job done overnight, or getting a dual-plug charger that shares a singe circuit. You can really make any home capable of charging two EV's simultaneously if you drop the amperage low enough or use load sharing. Thinking about future to run a second circuit (even a small one) is still prudent during renovations even if you only have 100A service.

If you look at actual energy consumption, most homes that don't have electric heat rarely use more than 30A at a given time somewhat independently of their service size. I'd estimate that 85% of US homes have 100A service or larger that could support 32A charging, and 50% of US homes with 200A service that can handle two 32-50A chargers. You'd really only be able to put in an 80A EVSE if you have 150 or 200A service.

Looking into the future, I would guess that new homes with be built with a NEMA 6-50 outlet for each garage stall.
Thinking about your comment above and having the ability in the future to charge two EVs simultaneously. What sort of setup do you need to do that? You mentioned a dual-plug charger--can you explain that a bit more? You also mention load sharing, something I think my Generac whole house generator does--so for EV charging would this involve additional hardware/circuitry? One reason I ask is that although I'm only planning to buy one EV right now, I might want another at some point and I just learned on this forum (here) that our electric co (PSEG) will provide up to $1500 for the electrical work necessary to support EV charging, so figured this might be a good time to prepare for the future.
Sponsored

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Thinking about your comment above and having the ability in the future to charge two EVs simultaneously. What sort of setup do you need to do that? You mentioned a dual-plug charger--can you explain that a bit more? You also mention load sharing, something I think my Generac whole house generator does--so for EV charging would this involve additional hardware/circuitry? One reason I ask is that although I'm only planning to buy one EV right now, I might want another at some point and I just learned on this forum (here) that our electric co (PSEG) will provide up to $1500 for the electrical work necessary to support EV charging, so figured this might be a good time to prepare for the future.
Some new EVSE will allow you to connect two in parallel and load balance the charge. It would charge at half the speed when both are connected and charging. I think JuiceBox allows that.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Here are some examples:

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/dual-ev-charging-station-nema-14-50-plug

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/Share2-HCS-60R-Bundle

They both share the same circuit, so if only one EV is charging it gets full rated power, but if both are charging then it splits the amps between the two EVs. You can either have two plugs connected to one box like the first example, or have two boxes that are wired in parallel that communicate with each other like the second example.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Here are some examples:

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/dual-ev-charging-station-nema-14-50-plug

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/Share2-HCS-60R-Bundle

They both share the same circuit, so if only one EV is charging it gets full rated power, but if both are charging then it splits the amps between the two EVs. You can either have two plugs connected to one box like the first example, or have two boxes that are wired in parallel that communicate with each other like the second example.
Thanks! If I understand this correctly, it would make most sense (financially) to commit to these now if I wanted this capability. In other words, if I had a single 60A circuit installed soon and decided to get something like the ChargePoint for my MME, but at some point in future wanted the capacity to charge a second car on that same circuit at the same time, I would have to ditch the ChargePoint and get one of the ClipperCreek ones you linked to above? I notice also that these are pretty pricey (particularly the second one--more than 2x the cost of a ChargePoint).

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thanks! If I understand this correctly, it would make most sense (financially) to commit to these now if I wanted this capability. In other words, if I had a single 60A circuit installed soon and decided to get something like the ChargePoint for my MME, but at some point in future wanted the capacity to charge a second car on that same circuit at the same time, I would have to ditch the ChargePoint and get one of the ClipperCreek ones you linked to above? I notice also that these are pretty pricey (particularly the second one--more than 2x the cost of a ChargePoint).
Yes, you can hardwire the Chargepoint and then hope to swap it out in the future if you want a dual unit. You may also want to consider buying a unit that supports dual charging or power sharing now, so you can just add a second charger later.

MABachE131

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT in DMG
Country flag
Mine is lonely waiting for my GT to arrive... When??? Who knows???
Screenshot_20211026-164836_Photos.jpg

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
That's odd. I have had 0 issues with setting the schedule in the car and having my CPHF always on. ??
Same. I still use the Ford app for scheduling and the ChargePoint is always on. I'll certainly keep this in mind though if I start seeing issues.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Looks good. I learned that pulling a bundle of 6AWG wires through 3/4" conduit is difficult, and a real PITA when you have to pull it through an elbow or conduit body!

As far as support for charging two EVs in the future, I though about that and added a NEMA 14-50 plug in-line with my charger that would support a 2nd EVSE, but I would have to setup different charge schedules for a 2nd vehicle or reduce the Amps for each to avoid tripping the 60A breaker. I also thought this plug would be useful in case the FCCS had an issue and I needed to use the mobile charger temporarily.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My ChargePoint Home Flex Installed 1635283462936

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Most Modern new houses have 200 amp services but you get to 70s,80s some even on the 90s even some 00s you have 100-150 amp services so it is going to be interesting for people to start adding 100A chargers. I had my service put underground from aerial and go to 200A. Then changed panel and added a sub panel i did the work. But if you are putting a 100A and a 50-80A charger your gonna be pushing it if your charging both and you have a couple fridge/freezers,hot tub, ac all running. Getting Evs if you live in older houses can prove to be very costly. Especially if you're already maxed out and then you have to run another service then you get to pay for another meter, base bill and installation.
My house (built in 1940) had 100 amp service (actually I think it may have been only 60 amp service many many years ago. Also I had overhead wires ... a LOT of overhead wires. I had the main electrical, two phone lines, coaxial cable, and fiber ... a total of 5 overhead wires.

Also, I have a detached garage that only had a single (underground) 20 amp circuit.

I wanted to add service for the car and DTE has a program where you can install a 2nd meter dedicated to EV charging and get a reduced off-peak rate.

Perfect, I thought. I'll just put the new meter on the garage .... it is right next to utility pole. It'll be really easy.

Not so fast... fire code requires that if there is more than one meter at a property then ALL meters must be located next to each other. This is because in the event of a fire, the fire department will kill all power to the property in one spot. They don't want to "think" they killed power ... only to find out there was live wiring in a burning house because it had power fed from another location.

That meant I would have to install a 2nd meter on my HOUSE and then run an overhead wire back to my garage for the car (that would be 6 overhead wires ... plus another mast). No thanks.

I bit the bullet.

I hired a contractor to cut a slot across my driveway (measured to be the length of a patio paver brick) then dug a trench from the house across the backyard, through the driveway, and around to the back of the garage next to the utility pole.

I had TWO meter sockets installed -- both on the garage. One is a 325 amp socket, the second is a 125 amp socket. Also inside the garage are two service panels ... one per meter.

DTE installed an underground 325 amp feed to the larger meter socket. From there they split off 125 amps to the 2nd meter socket (leaving the original meter with 200 amps ... not 325. But they said if I didn't have a 325 amp socket the lugs would not have been big enough to handle the size of cable required to provide power for both meters.

The electrician converted the house main panel into a sub panel of the garage. (the house only has a 100 amp main panel). He did run an underground cable through conduit to the house and that conduit is large enough for 150 amp service even though the house is only using 100 (future-proofing).

This leaves the EV meter with 125 amp service. I installed two 60 amp circuits so I can have two EV's and both would be able to charge at 48 amps simultaneously.

While I was at it, I had all the remaining lines removed (phone, cable, fiber, etc.) and put conduits into the trench for those as well. I also added a run of gigabit ethernet from the house to the garage.

Finally, I added underground water so I could water the lawn on the far side of my driveway (that always goes yellow in hotter parts of summer.)

After filling in the trench, I put pavers across the driveway where the cut was made. Most people thought I was doing it for ornamental reasons (it looked really good). That was just a temporary measure to close the cut through the driveway.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
My house (built in 1940) had 100 amp service (actually I think it may have been only 60 amp service many many years ago. Also I had overhead wires ... a LOT of overhead wires. I had the main electrical, two phone lines, coaxial cable, and fiber ... a total of 5 overhead wires.

Also, I have a detached garage that only had a single (underground) 20 amp circuit.

I wanted to add service for the car and DTE has a program where you can install a 2nd meter dedicated to EV charging and get a reduced off-peak rate.

Perfect, I thought. I'll just put the new meter on the garage .... it is right next to utility pole. It'll be really easy.

Not so fast... fire code requires that if there is more than one meter at a property then ALL meters must be located next to each other. This is because in the event of a fire, the fire department will kill all power to the property in one spot. They don't want to "think" they killed power ... only to find out there was live wiring in a burning house because it had power fed from another location.

That meant I would have to install a 2nd meter on my HOUSE and then run an overhead wire back to my garage for the car (that would be 6 overhead wires ... plus another mast). No thanks.

I bit the bullet.

I hired a contractor to cut a slot across my driveway (measured to be the length of a patio paver brick) then dug a trench from the house across the backyard, through the driveway, and around to the back of the garage next to the utility pole.

I had TWO meter sockets installed -- both on the garage. One is a 325 amp socket, the second is a 125 amp socket. Also inside the garage are two service panels ... one per meter.

DTE installed an underground 325 amp feed to the larger meter socket. From there they split off 125 amps to the 2nd meter socket (leaving the original meter with 200 amps ... not 325. But they said if I didn't have a 325 amp socket the lugs would not have been big enough to handle the size of cable required to provide power for both meters.

The electrician converted the house main panel into a sub panel of the garage. (the house only has a 100 amp main panel). He did run an underground cable through conduit to the house and that conduit is large enough for 150 amp service even though the house is only using 100 (future-proofing).

This leaves the EV meter with 125 amp service. I installed two 60 amp circuits so I can have two EV's and both would be able to charge at 48 amps simultaneously.

While I was at it, I had all the remaining lines removed (phone, cable, fiber, etc.) and put conduits into the trench for those as well. I also added a run of gigabit ethernet from the house to the garage.

Finally, I added underground water so I could water the lawn on the far side of my driveway (that always goes yellow in hotter parts of summer.)

After filling in the trench, I put pavers across the driveway where the cut was made. Most people thought I was doing it for ornamental reasons (it looked really good). That was just a temporary measure to close the cut through the driveway.
Wow, go big or go home! That sounds like a serious upgrade.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Wow, go big or go home! That sounds like a serious upgrade.
Yeah ... although it's soo much better now. Both from a power standpoint as well as beatification of the back yard. I spend a LOT of time out there in the summer.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Yeah ... although it's soo much better now. Both from a power standpoint as well as beatification of the back yard. I spend a LOT of time out there in the summer.
Thejob you quoted and the fact that you have a 335 amp service is ridiculous. Well you just stated had to have cost at least 10 to $20,000 you understand the typical person does not have close that amount of money to waste on upgrading a power supply. I mean you kind of backed up my theory of older houses and or newer houses that's crazy the amount of money and power you consume it your houses. Do you Butt coin mine?

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
My MME isn’t due until 11/21-27, but my ChargePoint is ready to go. It’s hardwired with 6AWG THHN in conduit through the wall into the back of the unit for a clean install.

Full disclosure, I cut out a big piece of sheet rock to do the install, and patched it when finished (the pink spackle in the second photo turned white when dry). I included a white wire that’s unused in case I ever need to convert the circuit to a 14/50 outlet.

Interestingly, the THHN is rated to 90°c, however I had my install checked by an electrician, who said that the temperature rating of the breaker itself is typically lower than that and supersedes that of the wire.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My ChargePoint Home Flex Installed 2D7778F6-6B23-49E7-A99D-141594189EBF
Ford Mustang Mach-E My ChargePoint Home Flex Installed 0FB68FFB-CC8B-43E6-A2D7-68FB5FEA9F27

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
My MME isn’t due until 11/21-27, but my ChargePoint is ready to go. It’s hardwired with 6AWG THHN in conduit through the wall into the back of the unit for a clean install.

Full disclosure, I cut out a big piece of sheet rock to do the install, and patched it when finished (the pink spackle in the second photo turned white when dry). I included a white wire that’s unused in case I ever need to convert the circuit to a 14/50 outlet.

Interestingly, the THHN is rated to 90°c, however I had my install checked by an electrician, who said that the temperature rating of the breaker itself is typically lower than that and supersedes that of the wire.
2D7778F6-6B23-49E7-A99D-141594189EBF.jpeg
0FB68FFB-CC8B-43E6-A2D7-68FB5FEA9F27.jpeg
Now that’s a nice install. Wish I had the option to come through the wall like that. Very clean!

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Now that’s a nice install. Wish I had the option to come through the wall like that. Very clean!
Thanks! It was certainly more time consuming from start to finish, but with the wait for the car so long, I had plenty of time!
Sponsored