Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Is there any chance the OP hit the brakes a few feet early? Some tracks are not that clear where the triggers are located. Hitting the brakes at 110 will drop mph quickly, but will only minimally affect time. I have seen a few people do that when they are not familiar with a track. It happens. If it is a real issue, Ford will fix it. I would be shocked if there was a 100mph limiter on the GTPE unless it is a break in limitation.
The longitudinal G traces on the Dragy runs show there was only one run where OP lifted early and he already stated he did on that run, which was on the street, not the track.
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Understood. But, if really high speeds are your thing then most EVs aren’t gonna cut it. Model Y Perf does 155, regular dual motor LR only 130. And since Ford never marketed a 140+mph top speed, so, there’s that. Porsche has the right idea with the 2-speed in the Taycan.
Agree top speed is always going to be a balancing act when you have a single gear, however the benchmark had already been set for ford with the model Y having 155mph add in next year we will have the EV6 GT clocking in at over 160mph that is also using single speed.

So while the GT to me has always come across as a late edition trim and not something that would have originally been planned and only exists due to the mustangification direction change I will give it some leeway for that, but once ford start using performance edition as a name, then comparison are unavoidable along with various expectations and 124mph is slow even by 1980's performance standards.

If ford had just instead made the magnaride as just another option and not used performance edition in the name it would probably have kept expectations in check, but until we get more data from other GTPE owners or reviews at the moment all we can do is specualte if this is an oddity or if it is going to be the norm for the GTPE, it will also be interesting data wise to see a comparisons between GT vs GTPE.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there a way to set top speed on a mache? Maybe it came set to 100 mph from the factory.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The longitudinal G traces on the Dragy runs show there was only one run where OP lifted early and he already stated he did on that run, which was on the street, not the track.
One thing it that while the GTPE maximum torque figure is equal to combined value of both motors, the power figure is not so at some point power is having to be reduced to one of the motors or both, be that a limitation of the battery / thermals or just by design (are ford sand bagging for a later higher performance model?)

If the limitation is not technical and ford just being ultra conservative over battery longevity / thermal temperatures. Then maybe a OTA could add something similar to the taycan & audi e-tron gt as they have an over boost feature where you get more power when using launch control for a short while.

Having the full potential bhp for a few seconds going to be fine for most as it is not like people are going to be launching it from every traffic light and stop sign and even if they are once the thermal limitations have been met the overboost can be made unavailable while those few seconds worth of extra power is probably ample for people at the drag strip.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there any chance the OP hit the brakes a few feet early? Some tracks are not that clear where the triggers are located. Hitting the brakes at 110 will drop mph quickly, but will only minimally affect time. I have seen a few people do that when they are not familiar with a track. It happens. If it is a real issue, Ford will fix it. I would be shocked if there was a 100mph limiter on the GTPE unless it is a break in limitation.
No. OP posted the Dragy timesheets and it shows the car staying at 100mph for a few seconds.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
The car doesn't stay at 100 mph for a few seconds. It's still constantly accelerating up to 100, it's just doing so very very slowly.

In the 2.2 seconds between 1000' and 1/4 it accelerates from 95 to 100 mph.

Looking at an ~average MYP run (12.2 seconds) it accelerates from 104 to 113 mph in the 2.0 seconds between 1000' and 1/4. That's a huge difference.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
OPs run overlain with a random (not particularly good, 12.2 second) Model Y Performance run from dragy.
1630434263800.png
I made and posted this earlier, it's hard to see due to the resolution but if I look closely the Tesla starts pulling away where I made the red slash, somewhere in the 65-70 mph area, and then the Ford really falls on its face on the blue slash, somewhere around 80 mph.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My GT Performance Edition (GTPE) first track launch with videos, timeslip! 0-60 in 4.12s, 1/4 mile in 12.657 @ 100.02 mph 1630586294162

EV Behr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer soon Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
I was surprised to see the GTPE with those numbers. I’m hoping it’s a fluke. I still want my GT, if not for anything but it’s looks.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
Hmmm... An endurance race could be interesting. Given how thirsty those GT500s are, the ICE vehicle might spend more time refueling than the EV?
That’s why they make a nice pair. One uses no gas while the other uses ALL THE GAS!

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In the 2.2 seconds between 1000' and 1/4 it accelerates from 95 to 100 mph.
I think my wife's minivan would accelerate from 95 to 100 in 2.2 seconds. Something nutty is happening because the acceleration just falls off completely. From Frankie's post above it seems like a definite change occurs, as the curve isn't smooth. It changes rates abruptly.

As others have said, 87mph in the 8th is pretty fast. Only gaining 13mph on the top half is like a 200 hp car though, not 460 or whatever.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I made and posted this earlier, it's hard to see due to the resolution but if I look closely the Tesla starts pulling away where I made the red slash, somewhere in the 65-70 mph area, and then the Ford really falls on its face on the blue slash, somewhere around 80 mph.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My GT Performance Edition (GTPE) first track launch with videos, timeslip! 0-60 in 4.12s, 1/4 mile in 12.657 @ 100.02 mph 1630586294162
Can you do this overlay on the other MYP runs, the ones that are 11.8-11.9?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Agree top speed is always going to be a balancing act when you have a single gear, however the benchmark had already been set for ford with the model Y having 155mph add in next year we will have the EV6 GT clocking in at over 160mph that is also using single speed.

So while the GT to me has always come across as a late edition trim and not something that would have originally been planned and only exists due to the mustangification direction change I will give it some leeway for that, but once ford start using performance edition as a name, then comparison are unavoidable along with various expectations and 124mph is slow even by 1980's performance standards.

If ford had just instead made the magnaride as just another option and not used performance edition in the name it would probably have kept expectations in check, but until we get more data from other GTPE owners or reviews at the moment all we can do is specualte if this is an oddity or if it is going to be the norm for the GTPE, it will also be interesting data wise to see a comparisons between GT vs GTPE.
I understand. However, I believe the PE additions are aimed at making the GTPE more able on road courses, not necessarily flying mile runs. So, yeah, 124 isn’t a big number these days for sure. But, most owners that attend track days/HPDEs will enjoy the ability to lap without battery/power loss issues that have plagued Teslas on track up until recently.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As others have said, 87mph in the 8th is pretty fast. Only gaining 13mph on the top half is like a 200 hp car though, not 460 or whatever.
87 is still 6-8 mph lower than what I think it should be, still significant.
Y Performance does 7.5-7.6 @ 93 mph.
Y Long Range with acceleration boost does 7.9-8.0 @ 92
If I were a GTPE owner, I wouldn't be happy that a car $9k over the Y LR with acceleration boost can't keep up with it.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

The OP’s GTPE equals a Y Perf. Through the 1/8th mile, 7.90@87mph, then the antics begin. SOC, drive mode, low miles “break in” limiting? Who TF cares at this point. Someone else go run theirs or wait for the mags to release the info, finally.

Plus, overlaying a Y Dragy run without knowing it’s SOC during the run can be misleading. Ys fall off as SOC drops, although 70% should still be netting healthy numbers, not 100mph traps.

The guy I know in my neighborhood with a Model 3P told me he won’t run people with relatively equal performance when he’s below 60% SOC. I thought that was interesting and chicken shit at the same time. ??‍♂