mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I wonder if this is true. I’m going to start force closing and restarting FordPass every morning just to test if that materially improves PAAK performance.

PAAK did seem to have gotten more reliable when it comes to starting the car, but most recently the performance seems to be deteriorating again.

PAAK waking up the car to unlock the doors has always and continues to be unacceptably flakey.
PaaK is consistently inconsistent.

If you get "no key detected" do this:
1. On your phone, turn off Bluetooth and then turn it back on.
2. Wait about 10 seconds for Bluetooth to connect to the car, and then press start. I find this works 99% of the time I get "no key detected".
3. However, if this doesn't work open FordPass and remote start the car. After doing this step the car will remote start so at least you are not sitting in a hot/cold car. And then you can press the start button to start the car for driving. I have never ever needed to use the backup code to start the car since doing this.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

2. Wait about 10 seconds for Bluetooth to connect to the car, and then press start. I find this works 99% of the time I get "no key detected".
3. However, if this doesn't work open FordPass and remote start the car. After doing this step the car will remote start so at least you are not sitting in a hot/cold car. And then you can press the start button to start the car for driving. I have never ever needed to use the backup code to start the car since doing this.
While I’m sure this helps, it seems easier to me just to enter the backup start code rather than trying to fix PAAK on the fly.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
PAAK will always be "flaky" compared to a fob because most of what is happening is happening in your phone. Your phone is a variable that the phone app can not fully control.

What does this version of your phone do to apps that are idle?... when and how does it put them to sleep to save battery?

Especially in the world of Android, there are hundreds of customized versions of the operating system that behave in inconsistent ways. IOS is bad but better in this regard.

sorry, but PAAK will never match the reliability of a fob... because of your phone.

I'm willing to deal with some flakiness because I always carry my phone and find it more convenient than a fob. I'm willing to restart the app if for whatever reason it's not recognized by the car. I do this about once every 2-3 weeks. In earlier releases it was more often.
I agree that the variability of phone hardware and software is likely a contributing factor, and makes it hard to troubleshoot. But I’m rocking an iPhone 12 with updated iOS. That should be about as standard as it comes. Nearly two years in, Ford should have a list of possible culprits to share if the problem is indeed the phone.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Interesting. Didn't FordPass just update?
I updated in Starbucks this morning and when I walked to my car, PaaK still works, but my lock and frunk buttons are so slow, they're basically pointless. :mad: Ugh.

HowdyDoody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Just sat in the middle of the road for 5 minutes. NO KEY DETECTED after I quickly hopped out to grab the mail and got back in again. Worse this time - I couldn't get the PASSWORD ENTRY screen to come up. I usually just tap the start button a bunch. This time, no luck. Is there a better way to bring that password screen up in a hurry???

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I updated in Starbucks this morning and when I walked to my car, PaaK still works, but my lock and frunk buttons are so slow, they're basically pointless. :mad: Ugh.
Reboot phone.

If that doesn't work, buy a REAL PHONE that isn't made by a PRODUCE COMPANY. 🤣 😭

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I agree that the variability of phone hardware and software is likely a contributing factor, and makes it hard to troubleshoot. But I’m rocking an iPhone 12 with updated iOS. That should be about as standard as it comes. Nearly two years in, Ford should have a list of possible culprits to share if the problem is indeed the phone.
Since updating the modules in my car this spring, for me and my wife, the solution to wonky PAAK has been making changes to the phone... restart the app most commonly. ... and the IOS just changed so I suspect we are kind beta testers again.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

wow... a Ford whisperer

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I’m with you on this. The FordPass app is just as unreliable as windows ‘95
Damn, that brings back a lot of memories

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
And the saga continues. I got PAAK re-setup at lunch and it was working. Then I saw where there was an update out for FordPass and decided to update it. Started the app and get the "Set up Phone as a Key" link in the app.... what in the actual &%$!!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
This has been a huge pain in the ass. Luckily the backup start password worked. I put it in once and before I put the car in reverse to leave it said "no key detected" and I had to put it in again. Then it said no key detected multiple times on the way home, I was afraid I would get stranded.
Setting up PAAK is not working, it just times out. I'm pissed.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I went into the settings and reset PAAK again. But FordPass would never finish the PAAK setup. I had to delete the FordPass app and reinstall it. It was stuck with the link saying "resume key setup" or something until I reinstalled. Had to get the fob out again to setup the backup start password again. Fingers crossed it sticks this time. I know I'm going to be gun-shy about updating the FordPass app from here on out...

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Technically I think you can set up PAAK without the fob, but you have to have it in order to set up the backup start password. It went fairly well after I got home (I live 3 minutes from work) and had the fob in hand. Set up the same start password as I had before. The only issue I had was that the process seemed to get interrupted by something and I had to start over 3 times before I got the full password typed in and verified.
30 second limit? caught me a few times as I was thinking.

OP
OP
Lord Polymath

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
30 second limit? caught me a few times as I was thinking.
No, I was actively typing or had just started the process. It coincided with my son sending me multiple texts and carplay was connected, maybe that had something to do with it.
Sponsored