Poll: How full do you plan on charging your Mach E on a regular basis?

To what % full (of usable battery) do you plan on charging on a regular basis?

• Total voters

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Average speed over this route is just under 60 mph so even with the mountains, it might be doable on one charge. Yeah, my route takes me past BV and Salida so I could charge there, but I’m really hoping for a DCFC in Gunnison someday, more the midpoint. Just L2 chargers there currently.
Plugshare shows a new pair going in in Montrose too, if that helps.

Probably won't be long before there's a bunch more across the state. Especially this state as dramatically as the govt has turned in recent years.

I'm still flabbergasted as how many EA stations are going into the Denver area. 8 up already, 10 more coming soon. Just imagine how much better coverage there could be if they spread just half of those around the rest of the state on key routes.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Weirdly, they show "coming soon" (with a picture) in Plugshare, but they're not listed in ChargePoint's map yet. Even though they are Chargpoints.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/269450
They may be non-networked.

I've seen that elsewhere: Chargepoint branded chargers on plugshare but they don't show up on Chargepoint's map.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I've seen that elsewhere: Chargepoint branded chargers on plugshare but they don't show up on Chargepoint's map.
Isn't it because Plugshare is a community network app, so users add the chargers they come across with pictures and description, independently of the brands or network they belong.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Isn't it because Plugshare is a community network app, so users add the chargers they come across with pictures and description, independently of the brands or network.
Well yes, but you'd have a general expectation that any charger with a big "Chargepoint" label on it would also show up on Chargepoint's map and, in many cases, that isn't true.

It would appear that Chargepoint is not only a network, but also a hardware supplier. Thus you can purchase Chargepoint's equipment without adding it to Chargepoint's network.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well yes, but you'd have a general expectation that any charger with a big "Chargepoint" label on it would also show up on Chargepoint's map and, in many cases, that isn't true.

It would appear that Chargepoint is not only a network, but also a hardware supplier. Thus you can purchase Chargepoint's equipment without adding it to Chargepoint's network.
Well it did happen to me once, no at the moment I don't have an EV, I was just trying to find a DCFC charger in one specific place and couldn't find anything satisfying. So I did try another app, namemely ChargeHub and find it there, so it's just to say that no app is 100% reliable, and the same can be said about ABRP or maybe the future Ford Pass app who knows. In anycase checking another app if you don't find what you are looking for on your preferred one can save you sometimes.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well it did happen to me once, no at the moment I don't have an EV, I was just trying to find a DCFC charger in one specific place and couldn't find anything satisfying. So I did try another app, namemely ChargeHub and find it there, so it's just to say that no app is 100% reliable, and the same can be said about ABRP or maybe the future Ford Pass app who knows. In anycase checking another app if you don't find what you are looking for on your preferred one can save you sometimes.
It is frustrating that they're so scattered, and sometimes incomplete. When planning out potential routes, I'm jumping around EA, Chargepoint, and Plugshare trying to figure out what chargers exist, how much they cost, when they can be used, etc. EA seems good, but anything else is kind of a crapshoot. Especially trying to find the prices. That's one of my pet peeves (on anything) - not having clear pricing and not knowing how much it's gonna cost when planning a trip. I hate going in blind and getting screwed with a gotcha price.

The hardest ones to get a dependable price on seem to be L2 chargers for potential overnight use at/near hotels.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I drive less than 100 miles, and sometimes no miles at all for a week. My longest trip is about fifty miles once a month, so a full charge may last me over a month. If the battery charge is low, one overnight charge is enough for that month and it doesn't need to be over 80%.

It is much cheaper and safer to change your driving needs and move closer to your destinations, drive less, and rent a hybrid for longer distances than spend more for an extended range model that will not be used that often. It is just as idiotic to buy any vehicle just because it has a bigger "fuel" tank. My 2014 Fusion Hybrid has a twelve (12) gallon tank and it lasts me over a month, giving me constant 40 MPG results (almost a 400 miles range) and a few 50+ MPG results, eve for short distances. I have driven from my supermarket to my home on EV power only, and get a 999 MPG result!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The hardest ones to get a dependable price on seem to be L2 chargers for potential overnight use at/near hotels.
Read the reviews; often a reviewer will mention the cost as well as the power rating of the L2

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Read the reviews; often a reviewer will mention the cost as well as the power rating of the L2
I've noticed that on some. But again, inconsistent and scattered.

I get why it's currently that way (most of them are independent and aren't administered by a common network). But it would GREATLY help BEV adoption if these sites would impose some standards that have to be followed for inclusion. Preferably by the charger's owner.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Its where you schedule the charge.
Screenshot 2020-11-14 065607.jpg

In this video:
Thanks JamieGeek! The Tour guides did not know about this. One enhancement would be great: to be able to set max charge level for DCFC and Level 2 separately and for "every location" or "any location". Many times I have been on a long drive and don't know ahead of time exactly where I will be charging. I am much more willing to charge Level 2 to 100% on the road, but not DCFC for a couple of reasons. I also live on a hill, will set my max charge at Home to 90%, which is great, but why not 95%? When I see the dealer demo in a couple of weeks, I will check this out.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

ChargePoint does more than charge EV's - they also charge station owners a monthly fee for networking! They also "charge" the owner a hefty fee to enroll in the privilege of paying that monthly fee.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They also "charge" the owner a hefty fee to enroll in the privilege of paying that monthly fee.
I see what you did there.

It is a shame that chargepoint doesn't include a free listing service that includes reportage of charging fees and power of the charger. As @dbsb3233 said it would greatly aid the adoption of EV's to have a reliable way to find ALL chargers, and it really would cost very little on chargepoint's part to do.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I see what you did there.

It is a shame that chargepoint doesn't include a free listing service that includes reportage of charging fees and power of the charger. As @dbsb3233 said it would greatly aid the adoption of EV's to have a reliable way to find ALL chargers, and it really would cost very little on chargepoint's part to do.
Maybe this will change, but ChargePoint's business model has been all about deriving continuous and ever-increasing cash flow rather than promoting EV usage. They have grown VERY large in a very short amount of years, very successful from a business standpoint. Unfortunately, as a result of higher operating expenses on the part of EVSE owners, my experience has been that many, but not all, ChargePoint owners on the network charge higher $/kWh than some other brands of chargers. I use PlugShare app to find lower cost stations whenever I can.
Sponsored