Poll: How full do you plan on charging your Mach E on a regular basis?

To what % full (of usable battery) do you plan on charging on a regular basis?

• Total voters

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So Jealous! Why does it seem that EVERYONE has had a chance to sit in one or see it in real life except for me? Sigh...
Too bad you missed the car at Kirkland Ford last weekend.
Sponsored

RockDaphne98296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE, 2016 F-350 Super Duty XLT
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Country flag
Too bad you missed the car at Kirkland Ford last weekend.
Are you kidding me?? ?That is literally 20 mins from home - I am linked to Bickford Ford in Snohomish!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are you kidding me?? ?That is literally 20 mins from home - I am linked to Bickford Ford in Snohomish!
You need to waste endless hours of your day here on the forum to stay up to date!

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I know. I have driven that many times. Give them a call to see if the car is coming to them this week since it has been in the area.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
It should take 30% battery usage for my daily usage. Is it better for longevity to drive from range 65% - 35% and plug every day? Or in what range should I play with since there is 11% reserve?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It should take 30% battery usage for my daily usage. Is it better for longevity to drive from range 65% - 35% and plug every day? Or in what range should I play with since there is 11% reserve?
Even the most conservative plans I've seen talk about charging up to 80% being fine (and probably higher). So I wouldn't worry about stopping anywhere short of that (assuming you're charging on 240V at home).

There will probably be a time or two somewhere along the way where you forget to plug in when getting home (distracted by something). Or where you need to take an unexpected drive (like a family member at the hospital). Personally I'd want all the extra in there I could get without feeling like it's potentially harming the battery. General consensus is that's charging to at least 80% (I'll probably do 90% on routine charges). Many even say don't worry about it at all and just charge to 100% (on 240V).

Last edited:

RockDaphne98296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE, 2016 F-350 Super Duty XLT
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Country flag
I know. I have driven that many times. Give them a call to see if the car is coming to them this week since it has been in the area.
Called Bickford last night - my salesman was out of the office, and the poor guy they connected me to didn't seem to be very familiar with the whole process - I mentioned Kirkland had one last week and he said - I don't think that it true, dealers aren't getting Mach E's yet - so I had to explain that it was a travelling demo car. My salesman appears to be the Mach E focal... Luckily I have bought two other vehicles from Bickford - so I know my salesman. If I was a noob I would be totally discouraged after talking to the stand in. My salesman is supposed to call me today.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
So, being that the First Edition that I have on order right now is my first foray into the world of EVs, I am trying to understand how I should approach charging and would love some advice. I just got a 240v 14-50 NEMA outlet installed in my garage, so that it taken care of. Even before COVID hit, I have worked from home for years and that will not be changing after COVID restrictions lift. The only daily driving that I generally do is 1.5 miles to take my son to school, then 1.5 miles to pick him up. Then there are the occassional errands and what not, but then on weekends, we only drive an average of maybe 30-40 miles over the full weekend.

So, estimating less than 60 miles a week of driving on average, is it best to really just plug-in and charge every couple of weeks as the battery starts depleting or is there some other point that I should plan to charge in order to make sure that the battery stays healthy for the long term?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, being that the First Edition that I have on order right now is my first foray into the world of EVs, I am trying to understand how I should approach charging and would love some advice. I just got a 240v 14-50 NEMA outlet installed in my garage, so that it taken care of. Even before COVID hit, I have worked from home for years and that will not be changing after COVID restrictions lift. The only daily driving that I generally do is 1.5 miles to take my son to school, then 1.5 miles to pick him up. Then there are the occassional errands and what not, but then on weekends, we only drive an average of maybe 30-40 miles over the full weekend.

So, estimating less than 60 miles a week of driving on average, is it best to really just plug-in and charge every couple of weeks as the battery starts depleting or is there some other point that I should plan to charge in order to make sure that the battery stays healthy for the long term?
Lots of differing opinions and approaches on that. I'm in a similar boat, being retired. We may only use the car 3-4 days a week (after the initial excitement period). We drive maybe 5000 miles/year, not counting a few road trips.

Anyway, some say the "sweet spot" is roughly 20-80% for best battery life. But I'd rather have more than that readily available in case something unexpected came up. I'll probably put it on the home charger any day I get home below 50%, and charge up to 80% or 90%. Except of course before a trip where I'll charge to 100%.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

As always that is one of those "it depends" kind of questions. Generally speaking the sweet spot for battery health is to keep it in the 20% to 80% range on a daily basis. Charging higher or letting it drain lower is fine as long as you don't do it habitually. However, all BEV's "hide" some of the range to protect the unwary from harming the battery. For the Mach E, Ford is "hiding" 10%-12% from you. What that means is that they won't let you charge more than 95% of the actual battery nor drain it below 5%. They do this by telling you (and the charger) that the battery is "full" when it really is only 95% or so charged, and what the car reports as 0 is actually 5% or so charged - it won't let you drive anymore when it gets to what it reports as 0%. What that means is that you actually can charge it higher than what it tells you is 80%.

Anyway, under normal weather conditions it would be fine to go weeks without charging with no harm to the battery. Where things change is bitter cold and searing heat, which are both harmful to the battery. If the car is plugged in under those conditions then the car will turn on its conditioning system to keep the battery at a temperature that is healthier for it - similar to putting a block heater on internal combustion engines in bitter cold. We won't know until we get the manual if Ford will allow the battery conditioning to protect it from extreme weather when not plugged in, since that drains the battery while it is sitting parked.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Yes.

Ok more: Yes only charge it when its below some threshold you're comfortable with (1/2 a "tank" or less, just above "1/4" tank, whatever). Then only charge it to 80-90%. (You could charge it to full but I'd drive it a bit after charging to full so since you don't drive that often I'd stick with the 80-90%).

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

The battery likes to stay around 50% as much as possible, not under, not over. I don't think it really matters how often you charge. So if you stay as much as possible at 50% you'll have an exceptionally maintained battery. Now, your needs will require deviating from that 50, so maybe staying between 40% and 60% gives you enough range for your needs -- or 30 and 70%.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Another good reason to just charge to 80-90% unless the full range is really needed:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...v-recall-owners-asked-to-charge-to-90-for-now
Fire concern prompts 2017-2019 Chevy Bolt EV recall, owners asked to charge to 90% for now
avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s.jpg

BENGT HALVORSON NOVEMBER 13, 2020

General Motors announced Friday that an ongoing investigation over fire concern is prompting a broad recall affecting most 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV models.

The recall includes 68,667 vehicles globally and 50,925 in the U.S. Since GM is still unsure of the root cause of the fires, it can’t release the customary percentage of vehicles affected.

For now, the recall remedy is effectively a band-aid—a software flash that needs to be done at the dealership that helps limit the Bolt EV’s maximum state of charge to 90%. With 2017-2019 models carrying a 239-mile EPA range rating, that potentially takes about 24 miles out of the Bolt EV’s available range.

let-bolt-ev-at-public-charging-station_100694027_l.jpg
2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV at public charging station

GM is recalling only those vehicles with cells made by LG Chem in South Korea. Bolt EVs with LG Chem cells made in Holland, Michigan, supplied for the car partway through the 2019 model year, aren’t included in this recall concern; neither are model-year 2020 Bolt EVs, which received a different LG Chem cell, as part of an upgrade to 66 kwh and a 259-mile rating.

The announcement follows a safety probe launched by NHTSA in October, in response to reports of at least three instances of fires. So far, there are five confirmed instances, each of them when the vehicle was parked with a full or nearly full state of charge.

“We were already deep into our own investigation,” said Bolt EV chief engineer Jesse Ortega, on a call with the media announcing the recall effort. Keeping cars on the road but with a reduced maximum charge reduces the risk while allowing GM time to find the appropriate repair.

-chevrolet-bolt-ev-showing-full-charge_100694028_l.jpg
2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV showing full charge

The 90% limitation is a temporary reduction, and GM hopes to have a remedy in place soon after the start of the year.

GM has released an info page and video, walking owners through how to make sure their vehicle is set to charge to 90%—and to activate the recommended Hilltop Reserve mode. If they choose not to do this, it recommends that owners not park their car in the garage.

The effort includes a stop-sale, in which any last new 2019s will need to be given the remedy before being sold, and it’s asking dealers to do the update before selling used or certified pre-owned Bolt EVs.

Dealers are being notified of the campaign today, and the software will be available on November 17.
There's now a class-action lawsuit brewing against Hyundai.
Ford is using batteries from the same manufacturer.... I hope this is corrected.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-ev-fires-as-gm-launches-recall-idUSKBN27X2ZQ