JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Is everyone having to sign and return purchasing agreement with dealer after placing the order? I was shocked to see them send me the full purchase paperwork, so early in the process when the vehicle has not arrived.

I was assuming once I placed my $500 deposit and converted order, the paperwork portion would not be done till vehicle arrived.

Is this typical experience?
Nope.

No paperwork here. Just a simple phone call from the salesperson saying "we hit the button, its on order, now what?" LOL
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Is everyone having to sign and return purchasing agreement with dealer after placing the order? I was shocked to see them send me the full purchase paperwork, so early in the process when the vehicle has not arrived.

I was assuming once I placed my $500 deposit and converted order, the paperwork portion would not be done till vehicle arrived.

No. That is not the normal process. A vehicle order is not an agreement to purchase the vehicle. I would push back on the dealer, tell them you won't sign a purchase agreement without inspecting your vehicle when it arrives. If the vehicle is satisfactory at delivery then you'll agree to sign for the purchase.

Signing a purchase agreement now means your agreeing to buy the car, even if you don't like it when it arrives or if it has issues.

My dealer asked me to sign a copy of the vehicle order to confirm the specs were correct, not an actual purchase agreement. I was glad to sign that document and happy to see they were double checking that the order was properly configured.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks - thought this was odd. It was the full purchase agreement paperwork. I've bought several vehicles before (on-site) and it was exactly what you would sign at the final process. Attached was also the Specs sheet, i understood that portion of the request.

I'll give them a call to ensure there isn't a misunderstanding. Not attempting to sign for something that hasn't even been physically made yet lol.

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Thanks - thought this was odd. It was the full purchase agreement paperwork. I've bought several vehicles before (on-site) and it was exactly what you would sign at the final process. Attached was also the Specs sheet, i understood that portion of the request.

I'll give them a call to ensure there isn't a misunderstanding. Not attempting to sign for something that hasn't even been physically made yet lol.
Mike - are you working with Bob Davidson Ford? I was asked to sign a purchase agreement which I think is standard for Maryland (ChasingCoral can confirm/deny what his experience was). The agreement can be cancelled. I asked the GM (owner's son) about it; he confirmed the deposit is refundable until the VIN is issued, after that, the deposit is not refundable but the agreement can still be cancelled. Clause 9 I think enumerates that.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Mike - are you working with Bob Davidson Ford? I was asked to sign a purchase agreement which I think is standard for Maryland (ChasingCoral can confirm/deny what his experience was). The agreement can be cancelled. I asked the GM (owner's son) about it; he confirmed the deposit is refundable until the VIN is issued, after that, the deposit is not refundable but the agreement can still be cancelled. Clause 9 I think enumerates that.
Yup, that is correct. Glad you called also! Appreciate that info.

Keithp

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan leaf SV
Occupation
QA tech
Country flag

I signed the purchase agreement at the dealer. We agreed on a price. It's locked in. I got MSRP, plus $799 dealer fee, $1100 delivery and destination fee, $500 estimated title fee ( should be $250 later), $3500 tax . Out the door for my RWD premium with extended range battery $61,740

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nope. No need for physically signed purchase agreement across Maryland. I used the online order form and they accepted it. I haven't been inside the Koons Ford facility this year or had to sign anything. Deposit fully refundable.

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope. No need for physically signed purchase agreement across Maryland. I used the online order form and they accepted it. I haven't been inside the Koons Ford facility this year or had to sign anything. Deposit fully refundable.
I guess like most everything with this process, not much consistency dealer to dealer. I didn't go in; had purchase agreement emailed, which I signed, scanned, and emailed back. That said, Koons seems to have a more liberal process than Bob Davidson. Not material to me - I think the price is fair, the service is good, and I really don't expect I won't close the order. If it comes to that, and I lose my $500, I can live with that.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Why would anyone sign a purchase agreement at this point? There may be other incentives added such as military or regional discounts. Financing will change too if they offer that. I did not sign anything for my order.

Reactions: abr

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
I signed the purchase agreement at the dealer. We agreed on a price. It's locked in. I got MSRP, plus $799 dealer fee, $1100 delivery and destination fee, $500 estimated title fee ( should be $250 later), $3500 tax . Out the door for my RWD premium with extended range battery $61,740
Gotta love a 799 dealer fee so they can step in the middle and complicate the process for you! :)

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would anyone sign a purchase agreement at this point? There may be other incentives added such as military or regional discounts. Financing will change too if they offer that. I did not sign anything for my order.
It's a fair point. I think the counterpoint is that once the orders go in, the dealer is now on the hook. We can cancel our order with the dealer, but the dealer can't cancel the order with Ford (at least once the VIN is issued). Sure, likely they can sell the car off the lot, maybe even with a mark-up, but that takes time and effort which has a cost. My dealer here in MD has about 15 Mach E orders; by comparison, they got 70 orders for the Bronco in one day, so we EV advocates still have some work to do. As my dealer said, the purpose of the purchase agreement I was asked to sign is "just to make sure we are on the same page with options and worst case scenario." The final purchase will include any discounts then available and financing, etc.. Basically they want to be as certain in me and my intention and ability to buy as I want to be in them and their commitment to sell me the car with no ADM, X-plan, etc. I'm taking a risk that if I don't complete the order, I'll lose $500 (once the deposit becomes non-refundable in a month or two, when the VIN is issued); the dealer is taking the risk that they will have a $60K EV on their lot with $500 to pay for the cost of finding a buyer. Seems fair to me.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
It looks like Ford has discontinued the unique Mach E hotline option #3. The call is now diverted to questions regarding the Bronco and that number is swamped such that the only option now is to leave your number and someone will call you back. That someone hasn't called so how do we now get Mach E specific issues resolved? My specific issue is that it's been three weeks since my order was accepted by the dealer, Asheville Ford, and I haven't received my $500 dealer deposit refund yet! Help...
Are you referring to your $500 reservation deposit? Have you received the money back yet?

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
It's a fair point. I think the counterpoint is that once the orders go in, the dealer is now on the hook. We can cancel our order with the dealer, but the dealer can't cancel the order with Ford (at least once the VIN is issued). Sure, likely they can sell the car off the lot, maybe even with a mark-up, but that takes time and effort which has a cost. My dealer here in MD has about 15 Mach E orders; by comparison, they got 70 orders for the Bronco in one day, so we EV advocates still have some work to do. As my dealer said, the purpose of the purchase agreement I was asked to sign is "just to make sure we are on the same page with options and worst case scenario." The final purchase will include any discounts then available and financing, etc.. Basically they want to be as certain in me and my intention and ability to buy as I want to be in them and their commitment to sell me the car with no ADM, X-plan, etc. I'm taking a risk that if I don't complete the order, I'll lose $500 (once the deposit becomes non-refundable in a month or two, when the VIN is issued); the dealer is taking the risk that they will have a $60K EV on their lot with $500 to pay for the cost of finding a buyer. Seems fair to me.
The deposit is refundable all the way up to test drive for me. I do not understand your post. I have ordered a car from Ford before (13 Escape) the same way and had no issues. Ordered it, tracked the VIN for a few months, then drove it. Only after all that did I accept it, could have walked at any point prior.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I won't sign a "must purchase" agreement now, but I am hoping for a "this is the total price (including any dealer charges)" agreement. I still fear that once we lock in the dealership into the Ford order, it then becomes their car to leverage. Which allows for gotchas to be added on later if the total price isn't agreed to first. (Which sleazy dealers could intentionally do to drive you off the deal so they can then try to add $5000 ADM to the eventual buyer for being a high-demand vehicle.)

Maybe that's an exaggerated concern, but well... they are used car salesmen (and new).

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Check out Carvana when selling your used car. They offer you a very fair price.
Sponsored