SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Efficiency is the most over rated metric around. If you want efficient get a Chevy Bolt of Kona.

One major reason why efficiency in BEVs matters little is that powering a BEV is so cheap efficiency doesn't register on the cost scale. My rate is $.09/kWh. Do I care if I get 4 miles/kWh and pay $.023/mile or 3 miles/kWh and pay $.03/mile? Of course not. Seven bucks over a thousand miles or seventy bucks over ten thousand miles just doesn't matter.

The only reason it might matter is on a road trip when you DC charge: If the charge rate is the same the more efficient vehicle will charge faster. That's not going to be a big deal for most people or for most of the time. In this regard, note that this test presumably accounts for the famed Tesla heat pump. The efficiency numbers should be closer, and the MME should have more of a range advantage, in places where more BEVs are sold.

Realistically the MME is a beast, and a beast is not going to be as efficient as an econobox. Just reality.
But it doesn't fast charge faster than the more efficient BEV either. Or the less efficient BEV. E-Tron has a better charge curve, Model 3/Y has a better peak speed.

I don't care about the price of the car or the price of the electricity.

I care about the road trip and the DC Fast Charges. That's exactly why I bring it up, that is my use case. I bought the Mach-E because I like the car itself, but I have to admit it isn't as efficient as a Tesla, and it doesn't charge as fast either.

I was just stating the facts presented. That's all.
Sponsored

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Efficiency is the most over rated metric around. If you want efficient get a Chevy Bolt of Kona.

One major reason why efficiency in BEVs matters little is that powering a BEV is so cheap efficiency doesn't register on the cost scale. My rate is $.09/kWh. Do I care if I get 4 miles/kWh and pay $.023/mile or 3 miles/kWh and pay $.03/mile? Of course not. Seven bucks over a thousand miles or seventy bucks over ten thousand miles just doesn't matter.

The only reason it might matter is on a road trip when you DC charge: If the charge rate is the same the more efficient vehicle will charge faster. That's not going to be a big deal for most people or for most of the time. In this regard, note that this test presumably accounts for the famed Tesla heat pump. The efficiency numbers should be closer, and the MME should have more of a range advantage, in places where more BEVs are sold.

Realistically the MME is a beast, and a beast is not going to be as efficient as an econobox. Just reality.
The efficiency thing is neat and all but when we're talking 90mpg-e or 110mpg-e, the numbers are so high that their importance is mostly negated. Total miles matters more than the size of the gas tank. We all care about range and the Mach-E's lesser efficiency only comes into play when it comes time to DC fast charge.

This weekend or next week, Kyle Connor is supposed to have some head-to-head range comparison videos of the MME vs. Model Y. I'm looking forward to being able to shut friends up about their Teslas.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow.

I don't even know what to say to that.

I bought a Mach-E, come here to discuss the Mach-E, and because I point out physics you get bent out of shape? I never said anything about rated range, or inflated EPA... we're discussing a "real-world" test, right?

Insulted for buying a Mach-E, that certainly feels welcome in the owner community.
Now imagine if you owned a Tesla and were on this forum.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As of yesterday, I'm the last of my group of five college buddies who doesn't have a Tesla. If you think this Forum is rough, you should be in our Slack channel. They all think I'm a (fool) for wanting the MME.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As of yesterday, I'm the last of my group of five college buddies who doesn't have a Tesla. If you think this Forum is rough, you should be in our Slack channel.
I have about 8-9 hardcore Ford fanboys on Ignore here. It's the only way it's manageable.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am sorry - I am obviously dumb (no surprise for me there :(, but, here are the numbers from the OP:

Mach-E : 227 miles (2.59 miles / kWh)
Model 3 : 221 miles (3.55 miles / kWh)
Model Y : 221 miles (3.36 miles / kWh)
E-Tron : 179 miles (2.20 miles / kWh)

So, taking efficiency numbers I am getting the following:

Mach-E: 2.59 mi/kWh x 88 kWh = 228 miles
Model Y: 3.55 mi/kWh x 75 kWh = 266 miles
Model 3: 3.36 mi/kWh x 75 kWh = 252 miles
E-Tron: 2.20 mi/kWh x 99 kWh = 218 miles

So, what I am doing wrong with calculations?
No, your numbers are correct. Elon Muskateers can celebrate this one.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The efficiency thing is neat and all but when we're talking 90mpg-e or 110mpg-e, the numbers are so high that their importance is mostly negated. Total miles matters more than the size of the gas tank. We all care about range and the Mach-E's lesser efficiency only comes into play when it comes time to DC fast charge.

This weekend or next week, Kyle Connor is supposed to have some head-to-head range comparison videos of the MME vs. Model Y. I'm looking forward to being able to shut friends up about their Teslas.
Efficiency does matter for some, especially during long trips, since you essentially have the equivalent of 2-2.5 gallons of gas. There less room for aggressive driving in an EV. Drive aggressive in a gas car for a small stretch. No problem, you still have 12-14+ gallons of fuel and a gas station nearby. Do that in an EV and you might be bricked on the side of a road in Arkansas.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not saying it's worse for Mach-E owners to be bullied on here than non-Mach-E owners.

I really didn't think I'd join this forum to share my Mach-E experience and get ripped apart for considering it very good, but since I don't consider it on the level with the Second Coming, it's not acceptable.

I admit some "Ford is always perfect no matter what" folks on here wind me up, I really need to get better at not taking the bait.

But we should welcome all on here. All EVs are good EVs, but no EV is a perfect EV.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
SO they did not use the actual battery capacity. They used the residual percentage. The Model Y travelled 285km and had 20% left on the battery. So that works out to 355km for 100%. They started all the cars at 100%.
That's what I wrote.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They travelled the same distance and they show the extrapolated 100% range based on the trip results
No, they didn't show extrapolated 100% range - they travelled the same distance and left with different charge percentage - all I did - counted extrapolated total mileage based on actual efficiency.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I admit some "Ford is always perfect no matter what" folks on here wind me up, I really need to get better at not taking the bait.
I have exactly the same reaction to both statements - "Ford has 100 years of experience of building cars, hence - it is way better than Tesla" and "Tesla is light years ahead of any BEV manufacturer". Both these statements is total BS... The truth, as always, somewhere in between.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I do not want to drive the most efficient car. I want to drive quality. It's a bonus that I can say the Mach-E goes farther.

I have two BEVs now. A Mercedes and a Bolt, neither are a great match for my needs. I choose to drive the Mercedes daily even though it goes over a mile less per KWh than the Bolt and only has an 87 mile "rated" range. Why? Because I love the way it drives. To me, the Model Y is more like my Bolt, it's cheap (I liked the seats in the Model Y). I've driven two Model Y's and I felt like I was driving a computer case on wheels both times. Yeah, it's super-fast, but I don't like the way it drives or feels.
***My MB 250 electric has a tesla motor and battery, controller, charger, etc...

The Audi, the Jag, the Porche, and the Mach-E are higher quality than the Y. Just like their ICE siblings the best quality/luxury cars are way less fuel-efficient than the cheaper ones like Toyota or Honda. Tesla has controlled the conversation toward what they do best: going fast, getting awesome EPA range rating, and having great tech....but they are not a car company. lol If Tesla is right for you, get one and enjoy it. As long as you are not burning dinosaurs it's all good.

Bottom line the efficiency that is so terrible in the Mach-E compared to the Model Y is going to cost me $56.25 per year (at my home energy costs). OK, I'll take it.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
But it doesn't fast charge faster than the more efficient BEV either. Or the less efficient BEV. E-Tron has a better charge curve, Model 3/Y has a better peak speed.

I don't care about the price of the car or the price of the electricity.

I care about the road trip and the DC Fast Charges.
Since peak speed is irrelevant, if what you care about is the DC charging speed and price is irrelevant, then get the Taycan. It blows anything any other manufacturer makes away. If you care somewhat about the price, then the e-tron is the hands down winner over any Tesla and the MME. This isn't that close a call either.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
None of this "advice" is remotely helpful with the Mach-E already in my driveway, but thank you.
Then you made a mistake and will be unhappy until you change your vehicle of choice :) There is hope though that Ford fixes the charging problem... Others have it working great, I guess Ford might try to do it right too - why not?