spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
From whom do you get that 7.6 cent/kwh rate for off-peak power? My off-peak rate (in the East Bay) is 11.5 cents but is really 25 cents when you add in the taxes and PG&E's junk fees. I have a solar array w/ net metering but no batteries. Guess I need batteries!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
From whom do you get that 7.6 cent/kwh rate for off-peak power? My off-peak rate (in the East Bay) is 11.5 cents but is really 25 cents when you add in the taxes and PG&E's junk fees. I have a solar array w/ net metering but no batteries. Guess I need batteries!
The $0.076/kWh figure I cited earlier is the power generation rate (winter, off peak) from Central Coast Community Energy. As you pointed out, PGE’s delivery fees and other surcharges are extra.

You might want to check with East Bay Community Energy and see if you have the option to buy your power from them. Community power association rates are usually somewhat lower than PGE itself.

Last edited:

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
The $0.076/kWh figure I cited earlier is the power generation rate (winter, off peak) from Central Coast Community Energy. As you pointed out, PGE’s delivery fees and other surcharges are extra.

You might want to check and see if you have the option in the East Bay to buy your power from a community association like I do. Their rates are usually somewhat lower than PGE itself.
I actually get my power through Marin Community Energy (MCE) via PG&E. The junk fees are killer.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I actually get my power through Marin Community Energy (MCE) via PG&E. The junk fees are killer.
You're right; PGE extracts its pound of flesh one way or another! When all the PGE fees are taken into account, my winter, off-peak rate is $0.21/kWh!

All the more reason to have battery storage so that you can go entirely off-grid as much as possible...

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
This is a very interesting thread. I have two solar arrays, one that has been in operation (full year) since 2015 and it produces about 12.5 Megawatts of power per year. When I put it in the net mattering I had was 100% and I never had to pay an electric bill once it was up and running for a few months. At the end of each year I had a credit using about 12 Megawatts. In addition for every Megawatt generated we earned one SREC (Solar Renewable Energy Certificate) which are auctioned off to power companies that need to produce some amount of power from renewable sources. I believe that these will run out at some point but they are still being paid to me. That system has long ago paid for itself. Last year I put in a geothermal system and took out our oil powered heating, cooling and hot water system. So no oil cost going toward but I am using more electricity so I added another solar system that will produce about 17.4 Megawatts. But the net mattering rules have changed. Instead of 100% it is now 60% and, what is more, my existing system’s net mattering has also been reduced to 60% net metering based on monthly surplus production. In addition the new system does not earn SRECs but it does earn some form of incentive called Smart payments which is not nearly as generous perhaps a hundred dollars a month. While it may be possible to calculate what my yearly eclectic costs are going to be doing that is above my abilities at this point so I will wait for the year to end.

Of course I am charging my MME almost fully at home so that will be using power too and depending on my net generation it may cost me something. Finally, Eversource, our electric provider, increased the Kilowatt cost substantially in the middle of all this. But Eversource does not have a TOU factor and, like I said, net metering is based on monthly surplus. It will be interesting to see if I will have any costs going forward for my car electric costs. I will let you know when I know.
We supply ~ 15MWh/ year (5 years now) w/ a 10.695kW array.
Our utility company also constantly changes its accounting/billing or "rules" always to their advantage. Difficult to predict future costs.
We provide more electricity than we use(all electric- no fossil fuels used for energy), but get next to nothing for electricity we give the utility company. If there were any equity in the process, we would essentially have to pay nothing. Unfortunately, winter costs us w/o getting anything for our summer production. Even though Colorado is a CARB state (in name only-simply means we can purchase any EV) there is no benefit, including SREC credits.

Blackpony

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great incentive to do what you are doing! I thought that Colorado was a state trying to cut down on carbon pollution and solar is about as clean as you can get. Sounds like the utility has a lot of say about what ends up being the rules. In Mass the utility writes the rules that are approved by the State in seems.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Because the current charger module software is persnickety about some EVSEs if their pilot signals are not 100% consistent and in spec. Lot of people were having charge fault issues in the past couple months. 4.2.6 is supposed to help.
My newly-installed Emporia Level 2 smart charger immediately recognized my Emporia Vue Utility Connect, and began charging my GTPE using only excess solar energy. The MME seemed to accept a lower rate of charge without any problems.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Smart Solar Charging IMG_7142

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the informative info in this thread. Today I installed a Emporia EV Charger and Vue Utility Monitor. I have Tesla Solar with Powerwalls. I don't think I setup the Vue correctly. I will contact support on Tuesday. Can't wait for it work correctly, managing the Ford Connected Charger and the MME with excess solar has been a pain...

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the informative info in this thread. Today I installed a Emporia EV Charger and Vue Utility Monitor. I have Tesla Solar with Powerwalls. I don't think I setup the Vue correctly. I will contact support on Tuesday. Can't wait for it work correctly, managing the Ford Connected Charger and the MME with excess solar has been a pain...
To set up my Vue Utility Connect, I had to call PGE and ask them to authorize my Smart Meter for wireless access. They also had to register my Vue before it would connect with the meter.

Once PGE did those things, the Vue began working perfectly. And it connected to my Emporia charger without any problems. Good luck with your system setup!

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you have the Vue Utility Energy Monitor?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Smart Solar Charging Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 6.45.29 PM

Or the Vue Utility Connect Wireless Energy Monitor?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Smart Solar Charging Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 6.49.25 PM

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
To set up my Vue Utility Connect, I had to call PGE and ask them to authorize my Smart Meter for wireless access.
Unfortunately my city utilities smart meters do not have wireless access. Otherwise they are amazing with rates (buy .098 kW / sell .059) and plenty of rebates for energy saving devices. I probably need to monitor in different spots, ie Tesla Backup Gateway and the electric panel.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately my city utilities smart meters do not have wireless access. Otherwise they are amazing with rates (buy .098 kW / sell .059) and plenty of rebates for energy saving devices. I probably need to monitor in different spots, ie Tesla Backup Gateway and the electric panel.
John, I will send you a DM and help you troubleshoot if you want.

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In Virginia we’re on net metering for solar. No TOU rate differences. It doesn’t matter when I charge. Only concession to high demand periods is allowing the power company to reduce my charging rate during times of high demand. They pay me $40 per year for that.

All my power produced goes to my house and any excess is pushed out to the grid. My system was sized come as close to my prior usage and how much good roof space I had.
Same here - I produce at peak about 6.7 kWh. I sized the system, before I had the EV, to essentially produce about what I use. Before the EV I never paid any electricity and always had a running credit. Now with EV charging, on certain months I end up paying some electricity.
Sponsored