So many issues with Mach-E? A bit disappointed!

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
With such a small numbers of delivery so far, there's already so many issues, seems the percentage is way too high?!
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
reduced speed on the road ( drive unit fail?)
PAAK not working properly;
charging speed on EA;

This really make me hesitate should I go with MME or should I wait, even after all the delay, Ford still have lots of HW and SW problems to be solved.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
But if you ask just about everyone that has had an issue if they still love the car almost all of them will say "yes" and "Ford will get it figured out".

So you just have to ask yourself how tolerant of issues are you? We are getting the very first builds of a new vehicle design built from the ground up...there will be things.

(So far mine has only had minor phone connectivity issues which I've got working...)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This is a brand new vehicle, brand new platform, brand new everything for Ford. This stuff will get addressed. If you are worried about stuff like this to the point of maybe not getting one, Buying a car right at release probably isn't good for you no matter what car it is.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
With such a small numbers of delivery so far, there's already so many issues, seems the percentage is way too high?!
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
charging speed on EA;

This really make me hesitate should I go with MME or should I wait, even after all the delay, Ford still have lots of HW and SW problems to be solved.
@hybrid2bev said it best - you're seeing a disproportionate quantity of "issues" because they're concentrated here on this forum. How many people have their car with no complaints? The vast majority, and they're not posting anything here. Don't fall victim to confirmation bias.

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I think if you polled people and asked for their comments/complaints on any vehicle out there right after they bought it you’d see at least as many complaints if not more than the Mach E relative to the # of deliveries, even for vehicles that were first introduced decades ago.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
charging speed on EA;

that's the beautiful of a new car warranty, plus the fact that I'm three miles from the dealer. Tho some months before I get mine.

mspford

First Name
Mohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang, Hyundai santa FE
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ford teams are aware of all these issues and many of them will be solved with OTA updates coming soon. Since this is a new vehicle, Ford is closely monitoring every customer's post to ensure all issues are resolved.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
charging speed on EA;

Waiting May be a long time perhaps min of six months if specific thd fixes especially hardware have to make if to the car. Software fixes much easier to get to the vehicle. If by wait you mean next month of two production it may not make any difference.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ford teams are aware of all these issues and many of them will be solved with OTA updates coming soon. Since this is a new vehicle, Ford is closely monitoring every customer's post to ensure all issues are resolved.
Do you work for Ford? Are the people associated with the software for this car actually reading this site? I'd be delighted to know that they were.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
charging speed on EA;

I would like to think that part of the issue is that if someone experiences an issue, they are more likely to post about it. But having said that, clearly a decent number of issues people have posted about are from long time members and not from people just now joining the forum to post about their issue and try to find a fix.

I do think if you go on any forum for any car, you will see at least some issues. Even very reliable brands/models get some cars with some issues at least some of the time.

I have hope that Ford will address these issues reasonably quickly. But yeah, it is also the first model year on a brand new line so whether you should buy right now or a bit later I think also should depend on your ability to work around it (e.g., would it totally mess up your schedule if you experienced some issue or a family member experienced it and they are not at all a car person and are totally lost on what to do and have little kids in the back while all this is going on versus you are working from home and have a second car anyway so no big deal if something comes up that requires a trip to the dealership).

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
@hybrid2bev said it best - you're seeing a disproportionate quantity of "issues" because they're concentrated here on this forum. How many people have their car with no complaints? The vast majority, and they're not posting anything here. Don't fall victim to confirmation bias.
Yeah the stats on this are terrible. It's all anecdata. The number of deliveries is actually pretty high and accelerating, and through bad luck (or maybe good for testing purposes), the bulk of deliveries are hitting during an extreme unseasonably cold snap across a large portion of the United States.

I'm not worried about it specifically for the confirmation biases. Most of these are 1 person who starts a thread, and that's not to minimize what they're experiencing - it sucks and Ford needs to make it right. But it's also not a pattern. The only thing that looks like a pattern from the feedback I've read is PaaK, and that's easy to workaround by using the fob.

JoeSmoeFromIDontKnow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER (canceled)
Country flag
Even if these events were related to just a small number of vehicles, it has shed light on some ignorant and overconfident design principles that are in place. It's clear that their intent was to build a vehicle to be as much idiot proof as they could make it. They are essentially conveying thoughts like this:
  • "Everything is taken care of for you. The Mach-E is so good, you don't need to worry about anything".
  • "There's no need for you to access your 12v battery. You won't need to. We've got it. We're protecting you from getting injured".
  • "You don't need 2 fobs because of PaaK & keypad. Those fancy technologies are as reliable as a fob, right?".
  • "No need to know how fast your car is charging or any other stat for that matter because that's just OCD. Remember, we've got it all taken care of. If you notice DC fast charging taking longer to complete, you're just impatient. Trust us, it's all within spec as designed".
That kind of logic might fly if they had their $#!% together and everything just worked. But, in the real world, that ain't gonna happen - even Apple can't achieve that.

For those of us who are engineers, this goes against our intuition. We want to have a place to read the 'vitals'. We want to learn what the baseline is so that we can more easily recognize when something is going down or to compare with others to help trouble-shoot. And they have all of this information at their disposal and won't share it with us.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm not really put off by the issues brought up so far. Sure, these are inconveniences for the owners, but they're still relatively isolated. Until there are 10,000+ MMEs out on the road, it's difficult to gauge reliability (at least with any reasonable statistical confidence).

I'll pass judgment only after there's real reliability data streaming in, and we probably won't see too much of that until later this summer or fall (at the earliest).

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have no doubt, I just ask if it's a known issue they don't drag us each through the discovery process. Meaning my car is at the dealer now for unknown time maybe with a known issue. If the issues are already known tell me so and to wait for an OTA update. Maybe its not that simple I get it, and thanks for hanging out with us.

For the thread starter, you missed one.

My MME - RED RING of charging, "Service Soon" on Dash, Powertrain fault in FordPass app. Everything appears to be fine, can charge, drive and go fast.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So many issues with Mach-E? A bit disappointed! Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 11.13.56 AM
Sponsored