Tesla Slashes Prices

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Thanks OP! I had no idea about the price drop until your post and after some (not so long and hard) thinking, I have an order in too. I wanted the 3rd row but they jacked that up to $4000 and the delivery time potentially went out to April (tax credit uncertainty).

I also think this is a game changer. With tax credits for the next 3 months, this is the lowest a Tesla has ever been. Now that the MME has gone up in price and doesn't qualify for $7500, it's a no-brainer. It was also a no-brainer for me since I can swap out for free while gaining AWD and a happy wife who's always wanted a Tesla. Though, honestly, if it was just me I'd probably keep the MME and Bluecruise.
Sponsored

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
The price has gone down in the UK also. I would definitely get a Model Y if I was purchasing one today. The base prices are ÂŁ51k for an MME and ÂŁ45 for an MY.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
6 months ago I paid an equivalent of ~$54k before tax incentive for my premium ER AWD, which in my opinion has been the fair market price. Tesla and Kia prices are not that far off.

The issue for Ford is that it’s hard to make money making less than 250k cars per year and over-designing by 400 lb vs competition.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
6 months ago I paid an equivalent of ~$54k before tax incentive for my premium ER AWD, which in my opinion has been the fair market price. Tesla and Kia prices are not that far off.

The issue for Ford is that it’s hard to make money making less than 250k cars per year and over-designing by 400 lb vs competition.
Yup. At $56K minus EV tax credit, the Mach-E was a great deal. It was $10K cheaper than the Model Y back in late 2021 (or early 2022) and had more features and same real world range.

I dumped my Teslas months ago. I felt they were overpriced for such basic cars.

Fast forward to today - the Model Y is almost $20K cheaper than the 2023 Mach-E Premium AWD ER. I’ve always said the 2023 MME prices were insane and poor value - even with the tax credit.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Welp, time to jump to tesla. Just bought a model y with induction wheels for 54,990, will get 7500 and will trade either my '21 or '22 based on which makes more sense.

edit: NOPE. Tesla offering crazy low trade in values to boot. So...you want a Model Y priced at 2021 pricing? Okay...but you'll receive 15k below 2021 pricing for an MME. Don't fall for it folks!

Last edited:

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I ordered my Wife’s Mach-E on 3/11/22, still stuck in limbo, started building it on 12/19 hasn’t finished production. When I saw that Tesla had done this, I showed her a $54,990 Y. After tax credits it would 6k less than what we are to pay for premium SR. She looked it it, looked at me and said “I don’t care if that Tesla is 20k less and can do zero-60 in 4.8 sec. It’s ugly the dashboard is not ergonomic, and the brand is pretentious.”

Guess we will continue to wait. It’s her car. I think I’m with her though.

Romano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I've owned a premium MME and have a Y (RWD - Europe spec) now. Even if they were priced similarly, the Y (in my opinion) is a much better car all round. Now that it is more than 15K cheaper for a similar spec in most markets, I can't see how Ford and many other automakers are going to sell EV's in large quantities.

This is a gamechanger if you ask me. Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla gets beaten for monopolization at some point.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Slows their momentum that they built up for the mach-e. When you’re tasked to increase production and eat into a market share on a segment that you will most likely have to cut prices on and lose money? Going to be interesting to see how they handle it
Even if true, and that’s debatable, none of that shows how Ford is “in trouble.” Present tense. How is Ford in trouble at this very moment? The claim was very specific. It was not, “This is going to cause problems for Ford if it doesn’t respond.” It was not, “This could add to the growing inventory backlog.” It was “Ford is in trouble.” So how is Ford in trouble at this very moment because another car company drastically cut prices to reduce inventory it can’t otherwise sell? Be specific.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Wow, I must admit, although I much prefer the look of the MME and after my after rebate in '21 I was into the $49K, **if I was shopping today........I'd have to consider the MY.

Will be interesting to see not only how Ford handles this, but almost everyone especially the South Koreans

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
whatever happened to people saying Tesla and car makers would jack up their prices because of the tax rebate? seems like the opposite is happening.
It was true 18mo ago when people were selling MY's for more than they paid for them. The obvious X factor here is that we're on the precipice of a potentially massive recession with record interest rates and they're clearing inventory before the storm.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I ordered my Wife’s Mach-E on 3/11/22, still stuck in limbo, started building it on 12/19 hasn’t finished production. When I saw that Tesla had done this, I showed her a $54,990 Y. After tax credits it would 6k less than what we are to pay for premium SR. She looked it it, looked at me and said “I don’t care if that Tesla is 20k less and can do zero-60 in 4.8 sec. It’s ugly the dashboard is not ergonomic, and the brand is pretentious.”

Guess we will continue to wait. It’s her car. I think I’m with her though.
She's not wrong. You married a good woman. :)

new to mach-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e select
Country flag
my son had a 2020 model 3, RWD, great car, he paid $40K sticker December 2020, sucked in the snow so he sold it last march and got his money back, then tesla raised it to $48K. Right now, at $52K for the AWD long range, suddenly my mach-e select AWD standard range for $50K is not a great proposition any longer.
Model Y is ugly but it's a great value right now compared to everything else

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
First things first, I think there is something wrong with the price changes of Tesla, my friend bought MY in Dec and imagine this happening to you. Also tells you their profit margins for the model Y for the past 2 years if they can do this now.

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
Will be interesting to see how Ford responds to current market conditions. I would think they won't just let this happen without a response.

If you ever want to find out the worst time to make a large purchase, just check in with me! We bought our MME GT in October 22 with ADM, and ever since then the market seems to have turned.

Our MME is my wife's car, and she had similar reaction as @Anthropod's wife to the MY. She loves her MME and that's what matters.

I wonder how much lower prices can go with how expensive batteries have gotten due to raw materials. We will see...
Sponsored