First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Just like a supercharger v2 with two cars on it.
Or one car on it. Tesla SC charge rates are all over the map and many stalls are down to the point Tesla added a graphic to app in the car so you know how many stalls are actually working.

EA's are base 150kW with some 50kW and 350kW. Pretty much identical to Tesla fast DC charging.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I've Supercharged 114 times and only had to be paired with another car twice.

There's no way to call a 50 kW CCS station "fast" in 2020.
I never stated a 50 kW charger is fast.

OP

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I'm wondering if the Mach-E's charging map will integrate with charging providers to provide live status updates to show how many chargers are either available, in-use, or broken? Plugshare has this with EA, EVgo and others so maybe it'll be the same with the Mach-E.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I'm wondering if the Mach-E's charging map will integrate with charging providers to provide live status updates to show how many chargers are either available, in-use, or broken? Plugshare has this with EA, EVgo and others so maybe it'll be the same with the Mach-E.
They have said it will. Just how many of the charging providers will be part of this is still unknown.

I recommend everyone keep their PlugShare app on their phones (or load it) just in case. Traffic jams and detours can derail the best charger mapping. PlugShare generally has the most options, including folks who have listed their home chargers.

Woeo

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
tl;dr - I want the supercharger network but I don't really want a Tesla.

Tesla supercharger network has a lot of things going for it. There are numerous stations, a lot of redundancy at each location due to the number of stalls, high charging speeds, and of course the slick vertical integration with each Tesla vehicle.

I'm contrast, while the CCS network is growing fast, the reliability of the network is suspect. Electrify America in particular has me somewhat concerned that they are not working hard enough to make the user experience reliably workable and keep their uptime at each station high. Beyond EA, I keep seeing random single stall stations going into places which is great for distribution but very hard to plan on since if the station is out of order you could be completely screwed.

This guy's trip from Victorville, CA to Denver, CO and back definitely makes me think harder about what I'm getting into. Ignoring the fact that he makes mistakes like falling asleep at the charger and racking up idle fees, he highlights the difficulties that come with CCS life.

Electrify America sucks a fart.
I’d suggest watching the OutofSpec Motoring videos on Youtube. I would describe OoSM as a pro BEV Tesla owner/advocate. Not quite a fanboy he clearly supports other electric cars as well. In particular he took some long trips with a Kona that put him in the wild using EA stations on the East coast and in the Mid-West. By nature he seems to be a happier more positive soul than our Cali to Denver narcoleptic Kia driving fisherman. His EA experience has on the whole been much better.

Last edited:
OP

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I’d suggest watching the OutofSpec Motoring videos on Youtube. I would describe him OoSM as a pro BEV Tesla promoter. Not quite a fanboy he supports other electric cars as well. In particular he took some long trips with a Kona that put him in the wild using EA stations on the East coast and in the Mid-West. By nature he seems to be a happier more positive soul than our Ca to Denver narcoleptic Kia driving fisherman. His EA experience has been much better.
You should see the rant that Roman from TFL channel went on about EA as they tried to charge the Mini Cooper electric.

Will other charging providers like EVgo, Chargepoint, Greenlots, Francis Energy, etc have Plug and Charge protocols too?

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Tacoma, jeep, mach e (coming), Ford Raptor
Occupation
airline pilot
Country flag
They have said it will. Just how many of the charging providers will be part of this is still unknown.

I recommend everyone keep their PlugShare app on their phones (or load it) just in case. Traffic jams and detours can derail the best charger mapping. PlugShare generally has the most options, including folks who have listed their home chargers.

An interesting thing about Plugshare which might be an "only in Hawaii" type thing. I've noticed several ChargePoint stations are absent from the app. Those are the ones at a couple of local shopping centers (Target and the one across the street here). Not sure why that is.

And yes, I noticed these absences while driving around ... in my Toyota Tacoma. :p

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta » '21 InfB/SG
Country flag
I've noticed several ChargePoint stations are absent from the app. Those are the ones at a couple of local shopping centers (Target and the one across the street here). Not sure why that is.
You can add them to PlugShare if you'd like to.

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I'm expecting that it will. Otherwise how would the "Intelligent Range" planner work?

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Tacoma, jeep, mach e (coming), Ford Raptor
Occupation
airline pilot
Country flag
You can add them to PlugShare if you'd like to.
Didn't know that. Next trip to Kona, I'll do so. :)

Obviously I have far too much time on my hands. Or I have that rare BEV Tacoma. :p

Last edited:

Woeo

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
You should see the rant that Roman from TFL channel went on about EA as they tried to charge the Mini Cooper electric.
Some of his pain was from MINI issues, but I’d be as frustrated as he was if I were paying by the minute after the card reader had connection issues. Hopefully Ford will pressure EA to sort these issues out.

DaveRuns

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Mach-E Premium Extended Battery, RWD
Country flag
tl;dr - I want the supercharger network but I don't really want a Tesla.

Tesla supercharger network has a lot of things going for it. There are numerous stations, a lot of redundancy at each location due to the number of stalls, high charging speeds, and of course the slick vertical integration with each Tesla vehicle.

I'm contrast, while the CCS network is growing fast, the reliability of the network is suspect. Electrify America in particular has me somewhat concerned that they are not working hard enough to make the user experience reliably workable and keep their uptime at each station high. Beyond EA, I keep seeing random single stall stations going into places which is great for distribution but very hard to plan on since if the station is out of order you could be completely screwed.

This guy's trip from Victorville, CA to Denver, CO and back definitely makes me think harder about what I'm getting into. Ignoring the fact that he makes mistakes like falling asleep at the charger and racking up idle fees, he highlights the difficulties that come with CCS life.

Electrify America sucks a fart.
My goodness, this was a horrible trip. I'm not gonna lie.....made me think twice about my MME Premium order, and seriously re-consider the Model Y....problem is....I know the "fit and finish" issues on the Tesla would bug the crap out of me.Uggh

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
My goodness, this was a horrible trip. I'm not gonna lie.....made me think twice about my MME Premium order, and seriously re-consider the Model Y....problem is....I know the "fit and finish" issues on the Tesla would bug the crap out of me.Uggh
I'm seriously hoping EA fixes their pricing scheme before the Mach-E launches. They've claimed per-kWh pricing is coming... but haven't announced what it will be.

The Mach-E will be placed in the middle tier of EA's current per-minute charging, and while at 150 kWh that's not a terrible value, by the time the taper starts it'll be outrageous.

OP

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
The Niro EV owner kind of sucks in a few ways, but taking his report of inoperable chargers at face value, it's a problem.

A YouTuber said for a recent NY-TX-NY trip, he successfully charged at EA 73% of the time on the first try. Overall, he was able to eventually charge at 96% of the stations but 1/4 of the time it took plugging into more than one charger to get it to work.