TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Economically, the EU is also the first world's largest market at around 445 million people. Compare that to the USA's population of 330 million or so.
More population, but actually total car ownership is about the same between the US and Europe. The US is more car-centric. Especially our cities which tend to be newer and largely designed for the automobile-era (as opposed to most European cities that often date back to medieval times).
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
More population, but actually total car ownership is about the same between the US and Europe. The US is more car-centric. Especially our cities which tend to be newer and largely designed for the automobile-era (as opposed to most European cities that often date back to medieval times).
Or one could say because our cities do not have proper intra- or inter-city public transportation like EU cities and, therefore, a family of four requires four vehicles in the U.S.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or one could say because our cities do not have proper intra- or inter-city public transportation like EU cities and, therefore, a family of four requires four vehicles in the U.S.
In part. But as another poster put it yesterday, cars offer more freedom too (and flexibility). Pros and cons to both.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The population for the entire Eurozone adds another 100 million or so onto the EU "proper") numbers. The Eurozone + the UK (For the remainder of this year only) is the EU market. GDP wise (minus the UK) it's about equivalent to the US.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Probably because Ford, along with all other manufacturers will get hefty fines this year and next if they fail (most will) to get their co2 emissions down. The sooner the MME lands in UK/EUR the average emissions for Ford will reduce making the fines less
And we thank you for your governments push. Us over here are a bit thick and slower it appears; you will need to bear with us. ?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes but they sale more EV over there too.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I know nothing about automotive production scheduling, but I’m guessing they want to minimize production line changes and maximize initial profits, so with that, I’m selfishly hoping production is sequenced:
First Editions
Premium ER AWD
Premium ER
CA Rte 1
Premium SR AWD
Premium SR
Select ER AWD
Select SR AWD
Select ER
Select SR

who knows? Maybe they just come into the factory each day and draw build sheets at random out of a pile, or look at whatever parts are laying around?
I do hope the Premium SR AWD’s come before the Premium ER RWD’s, hoping to get mine delivered this year to get the federal tax credit sooner rather than later.

Side note, there actually are no extended range Select trim MME’s.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
I do hope the Premium SR AWD’s come before the Premium ER RWD’s, hoping to get mine delivered this year to get the federal tax credit sooner rather than later.

Side note, there actually are no extended range Select trim MME’s.
I hope you’re wrong and Premier standard range RWD get built first for exactly the same reasons. Also maybe they should go mostly by order number as much as possible.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I hope you’re wrong and Premier standard range RWD get built first for exactly the same reasons. Also maybe they should go mostly by order number as much as possible.
For efficiency reasons won't they make similar cars for a stretch and then another type for a bit? It would seem if they are trying to move the line as fast as possible they would make all the premium RWD, then Premium AWD then move to another style? I think I have seen @ChasingCoral and @trutolife27 discuss it that way.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
For efficiency reasons won't they make similar cars for a stretch and then another type for a bit? It would seem if they are trying to move the line as fast as possible they would make all the premium RWD, then Premium AWD then move to another style? I think I have seen @ChasingCoral and @trutolife27 discuss it that way.
Think about it like this: 2 shifts and 150 cars a shift. Even if they only did change overs between shifts, the impact of batched runs will have a much smaller impact compared to the real factor which is reservation number.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Think about it like this: 2 shifts and 150 cars a shift. Even if they only did change overs between shifts, the impact of batched runs will have a much smaller impact compared to the real factor which is reservation number.
Making a bunch of the same trim makes the most sense to me. But another consideration would seem to be shipping. Would they want a mix of multiple trims to include in a shipment to a region so they don’t keep making single car shipments to a dealership (aside from the mega dealers)? Or maybe it doesn’t matter because the Mexico plant makes a bunch of other types of Fords anyway so no issue with making sure the trains are fully loaded?

I have no idea, just speculating over here. But if I were to guess, I’d say they probably will rotate through the trims every day/week/some other logical dividing point, so that they don’t make 20,000 premiums before a single select rolls of the line. Exception would probably be the FE, seems they should make all of the FEs first.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I'm fairly confident that is not how it works. They build extended cab, crew cab, and regular cab F-150's all intermixed.

In fact the C-Max was built on the same line at the same time as the Focus and Focus electric. There may be general groupings due to part shortages, but they will definately be intermixed too.
Sponsored