What % Do You Charge Your EV To, And Why?

What % Do You Charge Your Mach E To?

• Total voters

eddieparker

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I've heard online that you should charge to 80%. I understand it's something about holding more charge being bad for the battery?

I'm posting a poll here to see, but I'd also love any links that people have that point to rationale for what % to use, if anyone has any!
Sponsored

tbrumleve

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium eAWD Standard Range
Country flag
90% for NCM packs (2023.0 and lower). 100% on occasions when you need it is fine. 100% for LFP (2023.5 Standard ranges).

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I charge to 85% unless I need more. 85 corresponds to about 80% of total pack capacity. There’s a guy on the Lightning forum who tests these batteries for a living and he charges to 85%. Apparently, there is a slight inflection of the degradation curve around 80%. For most, it probably won’t make a noticeable difference, but if it fits my use case, why not?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I have two charge settings now. 70% at home and 90% at work.

Since I'm doing 1/2 days in the office 3 times a week I haven't hit the 90% limit yet. Usually I leave the office when it's around 80%-85%. Which is enough to get me back home with slightly more charge than what I started with. I set a higher limit at work because it's free and the car wouldn't sit at a high % for very long.

the golden eel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
I do 90% in the winter when range is reduced, and 80% the rest of the year.

This is all done at home, overnight.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
90% on my Mach-E and I charge it like an ICE: I charge it when it needs to be charged (usually when <60% or so). Thus it isn't plugged in all the time. Typically plugged in twice a week, more frequently in winter.

My last EV (Bolt) I would leave in "Hilltop reserve" (which, I believe was something like 90%) and charge it similarly to the Mach-E. e.g. when its about <60%, winter more.

For both the Bolt & Mach-E if I were taking it on a long trip it would be charged to 100% the night before.

Prior to that, my C-Max Energi would get charged to 100% daily.

Before that, my Focus Electric would also get charged to 100% daily (sometimes twice a day).

I don't think I've ever seen any battery degradation in any of the above vehicles in the ~3 years that I've owned each.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
90% at home regularly (as Ford recommends 90%.) If I'm on the road, it can vary based on the distance I need to travel and charging speed. If I'm going on a long trip, I will charge to 100% before I leave the house.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Somewhere between 80-90% is the sweet spot for me. I DCFC exclusively once a week on Sunday mornings regardless of SoC. If coffee’s too hot, 90%, otherwise closer to 80%.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
100% L2
90% L3

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
80% because I work from home and hardly drive anywhere. I never DCFC beyond 80% on trips either, so I guess my car will never know what 100% is like lol.

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
I've heard online that you should charge to 80%. I understand it's something about holding more charge being bad for the battery?

I'm posting a poll here to see, but I'd also love any links that people have that point to rationale for what % to use, if anyone has any!
I went by the charge chart from the charger. The charger graft shows that reduced amp starts at about 91 percent and continues to reduce over the final 10 percent when you charge to 100 percent. By charging to 90 percent you get the full charge across the 90 percent charge. A nice square wave on the charger chart.
Sponsored