What would make you cancel your Mach-E reservation and buy something else?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As long as it's a new car, I have enjoyed the process. Most of the dealers around me have 4.6/5 starts (with >100 reviews), and lowest is 4.2. Never get the hard sells or unwanted add ons, sometimes they try upsell but mostly I say no and they are fine with that and purchasing procedures and always come out under MSRP, but I don't try to low ball them with the deal invoice price.

Not sure what it is with all the dealer hate. I wonder if that varies by state?
I think some of it is one's personal experience, as well as a stereotype. There is a dealership near me whose practices are strong armed/shady (I experienced some of that when I went shopping for my first mustang in 1987); the initials of the dealership are R and H and they are known in the area as "rape and holdup". By contrast we have been buying my wife's cars from the same dodge dealership since 1995, and have generally always been treated well. There was an issue a few years ago when they got a new service manager who was a jerk that really upset my wife over a warranty claim, and the sales manager actually resolved the situation when he found out about it. I am sure it wasn't just over my wife's issue, but shortly afterward they got rid of the jerk. We have since bought 2 more vehicles from them, and even though it is a 40 minute drive my wife takes her durango there faithfully for all maintenance and will continue to buy her cars from them. Had my wife not gone to the sales manager (or had he also just been a jerk), we would definitely have had a bad taste in our mouth and never gone there again.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah no issue with our dealer either. We have purchased our last dozen or so Ford's from the same dealer. Pretty painless process at this point: I simply call with a VIN (by browsing their website and finding a car we like) and then show up the next day to pick it up... On some occasions I've called with a VIN from a different dealer and they've still made it happen.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Thanks. That looks like a nice one too but from what I've read that's gonna be $70k+. That's getting up into the range that I just can't justify. It's already a shock to my system to consider spending $55k for any vehicle (which is really $45k after state+federal tax credits). The most I've ever paid for a vehicle is just over $30k (each of our two 2013 Escape Titaniums).

Somehow just seems wrong to spend as much on a car as I spent buying my first house. :eek:
This is not the e-tron that's currently shipping or the e-tron Sportsback. As I recall from some youTube video on e-tron Q4 when they first introduced, this is <60K compact SUV with 82KW/280 miles range. Interior design is very nice like other premium Audi. Take a look at this link..

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is not the e-tron that's currently shipping or the e-tron Sportsback. As I recall from some youTube video on e-tron Q4 when they first introduced, this is <60K compact SUV with 82KW/280 miles range. Interior design is very nice like other premium Audi. Take a look at this link..
At today's rate, 55k pounds = $71k. According to the audiusa.com website, the regular e-tron starts at $74500. According to cnet, the sportback will start at 83k euros, and it is expected to be slightly higher than the regular e-tron when USA pricing is announced.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-e-tron/2019/build.html?pr=default-etron-2019-GE

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-audi-e-tron-sportback-la-auto-show/

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
OK, I overlook the pound conversion. It will be difficult to compete the 70K compact SUV with other brands, like Model Y and now Mach E.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OK, I overlook the pound conversion. It will be difficult to compete the 70K compact SUV with other brands, like Model Y and now Mach E.
It's actually pretty confusing what their strategy is with 3 models in roughly the same expensive price bracket.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
The one thing that caught my attention in this video was part time 4 wheel drive. Only uses rear drive until losing grip then engages front motor. If the Mach e had that it would extend the range of the two motor versions. In nice weather the two motor could get almost the 300 miles minus the added weight.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The one thing that caught my attention in this video was part time 4 wheel drive. Only uses rear drive until losing grip then engages front motor. If the Mach e had that it would extend the range of the two motor versions. In nice weather the two motor could get almost the 300 miles minus the added weight.
Pretty sure Ford has already stated that you could tweak the power to the F/R motors. I imagine that would allow for 80/20 rear wheel bias if not 100/0.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Pretty sure Ford has already stated that you could tweak the power to the F/R motors. I imagine that would allow for 80/20 rear wheel bias if not 100/0.
Interesting point. I'm not aware the "tweak the power to F/R motors" option and love to have this capability since I reserved the 4WD model (for better speed & stability) That will be even better If I can turn off the front motor & use the rear drive only for better range if I travel long distance. I wonder if this is part of the design.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
It would be nice if one of the motors is tuned for highway speeds going 75+ instead of the typical 35-40 most EVs are.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I seem to recall that the front motor is always engaged.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
It would be nice if one of the motors is tuned for highway speeds going 75+ instead of the typical 35-40 most EVs are.
Like other intelligent all-wheel-drive systems, the eAWD system in the Mach‑E helps provide excellent traction and handling. But eAWD is designed and tuned specifically for this all-electric vehicle. When the system determines AWD is not likely to be needed, it enters an efficiency mode that balances the torque split in a way that uses the least energy. The Mach‑E eAWD system is not mechanically coupled from front to rear, allowing the system to apply torque independently to the front and rear axles. The eAWD system can send up to 100 percent of torque to the front or rear axle, up to the capacity limit. eAWD balances torque from front to rear, which helps improve handling.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
My $0.02 on the OP.

Things that could make me change honestly are extremely limited, it'd be missed delivery dates, the car is terrible and doesn't come close to anything they said, weird things like that.

I like Ford's styling choicse, while I love my Model X from Tesla, I hate their plans to go single screen in middle of dash. I like the two screen design that the S/X have, and that the Mach E has. There isn't a styling choice reason why i'd switch away at this point.

Otherwise unless Audi has something up their sleeve with a coupe EV or something crazy appears, I really don't see a lot of styling reasons I'd change. It'd all be about company breaking failures on Ford's side to run me off as I'm pretty locked in. At this point it'd take a two door convertible EV with <3s 0-60 at the same price range to get me to stop.

just having to wait for another year to year and a half will be loooong.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hear ya brother! I am dying for any kind of new information from Ford or somebody who actually knows something! I'm driving my wife crazy already...

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
My $0.02 on the OP.

Things that could make me change honestly are extremely limited, it'd be missed delivery dates, the car is terrible and doesn't come close to anything they said, weird things like that.

I like Ford's styling choicse, while I love my Model X from Tesla, I hate their plans to go single screen in middle of dash. I like the two screen design that the S/X have, and that the Mach E has. There isn't a styling choice reason why i'd switch away at this point.

Otherwise unless Audi has something up their sleeve with a coupe EV or something crazy appears, I really don't see a lot of styling reasons I'd change. It'd all be about company breaking failures on Ford's side to run me off as I'm pretty locked in. At this point it'd take a two door convertible EV with <3s 0-60 at the same price range to get me to stop.

I agree with you about the single screen. After owning Model S for many years, I still feel moving my head left and right to change the features/music while driving is a safety concern. Although Tesla is now providing voice to access most of the features. I am hoping Ford can do the same. I don't think I can buy another EV without the 2nd screen.
Sponsored