Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I wish I knew more about the new part...
You lost me with the reference to "grey bars". But the software update seems like the prudent move, I guess.
On GT’s (at least) there is a power meter. So if you do the 5 second max acceleration at that point grey bars are displayed as your power is limited. I have also read where the bars are there right after DCFC. I have seen them on my screen during cold weather. The bars indicate that power is limitted - more bars mean more limitation. A couple posters mentioned that it appeared to them that they did not get any or as many grey bars in certain situations as they did prior to the update. Of course it could just be perception.
Sponsored

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
On GT’s (at least) there is a power meter. So if you do the 5 second max acceleration at that point grey bars are displayed as your power is limited. I have also read where the bars are there right after DCFC. I have seen them on my screen during cold weather. The bars indicate that power is limitted - more bars mean more limitation. A couple posters mentioned that it appeared to them that they did not get any or as many grey bars in certain situations as they did prior to the update. Of course it could just be perception.
Got it. About to leave town. I will look for them. Thanks!

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
You won't see them, judging by your bio, you seem to have a First Edition. Only GT/GT PEs have the power meter that shows the grey bars being described.
I need to upgrade my bio.

I do have a GT with 15k miles. Traded off the FE at 24k miles for the GT.

And I did see the gray bars today. Not sure what they mean, but they seem persistent at speeds above 80-85 mph. I never noticed them before...

Thanks to everyone for all of the help!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

And I did see the gray bars today. Not sure what they mean, but they seem persistent at speeds above 80-85 mph. I never noticed them before...

It is just limiting your speed, the blue power bar shows the power you're using. So if you floor it and "pedal to the metal" you can't access the full power as the grey bars are restricting how much you have. When you get to a certain speed, you basically always have at least 2 and if you go faster you get even more, so when you're at high speeds, you can't access all of it. If you slam it from a stop, you'll get you get a bunch of them. This is the 5 second limit people discuss here.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
It is just limiting your speed, the blue power bar shows the power you're using. So if you floor it and "pedal to the metal" you can't access the full power as the grey bars are restricting how much you have. When you get to a certain speed, you basically always have at least 2 and if you go faster you get even more, so when you're at high speeds, you can't access all of it. If you slam it from a stop, you'll get you get a bunch of them. This is the 5 second limit people discuss here.
Interesting. Thanks!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Look on the left bottom here on this photo just below the 48% and next to the blue lightning bolt -- you can see the power bar and the grey "jail bars". As others describe, this is only on GT models unless you do some Forscan hacking.

This photo was taken by me when my car went into "Service Vehicle Soon" mode after the post-recall software detected a problem with the contactors. You'll notice that about 70% of the power is greyed out, and this is one version of what a bad day looks like.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue IMG_0483

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Look on the left bottom here on this photo just below the 48% and next to the blue lightning bolt -- you can see the power bar and the grey "jail bars". As others describe, this is only on GT models unless you do some Forscan hacking.

This photo was taken by me when my car went into "Service Vehicle Soon" mode after the post-recall software detected a problem with the contactors. You'll notice that about 70% of the power is greyed out, and this is one version of what a bad day looks like.

That does seem like a bad day. I saw the gray bars today when driving, and I had a small one even just cruising at 84 mph.

I watch the little power meter sometimes, but mostly when I am getting regen, not accelerating.

I didn't realize that the gray was defining the power limitation.

I know that Ford is worried about battery life, but this seems overly cautious to me. But I understand their position, I guess.

Thanks for the photo!

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
That does seem like a bad day. I saw the gray bars today when driving, and I had a small one even just cruising at 84 mph.
You'll get a couple bars starting at 70mph. It's normally 2-3 and they increase incrementally with higher speeds.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag

To be fair, it was really hot today when I was driving.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Is it just my imagination, or has the frequency of "Service Vehicle Soon" dropped precipitously since the mysterious server issue?

I've seen far fewer, if any, of these incidents over the past week, though there seemed to be one or two being reported on the Forum every day during the prior week. I admit I don't read everything, so maybe they are continuing unabated and I'm just not seeing them.

If the frequency is way down, is that just a coincidence? Or did they change the recall software?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Is it just my imagination, or has the frequency of "Service Vehicle Soon" dropped precipitously since the mysterious server issue?

I've seen far fewer, if any, of these incidents over the past week, though there seemed to be one or two being reported on the Forum every day during the prior week. I admit I don't read everything, so maybe they are continuing unabated and I'm just not seeing them.

If the frequency is way down, is that just a coincidence? Or did they change the recall software?
Most everyone with FDRS that was going to do it, updated right away. Many people also got into their dealer right away. So there was a large number of people who got the software in a very short time. After that it has slowed as others get in to the dealer when they can or get it via OTA which is slowly ramping up.

So it's really hard to say much conclusively based solely on self reporting from the forum

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Also, since we've told people to DM us for help a few people have gone that route instead of publicly saying anything. Most are complete welding incidents but there's been a couple/few every day.

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
I have a GT and can't picture what is being talked about here and where it is shown on the screen. Anyone have a picture handy?