First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
@Mike G and @WyldStallyn

I just ran one of the VINs in the update thread so I'll post it here since it's public already.
3FMTK3SU6MMA50263

The tooltip version for his BECM isn't in the list that Wyld provided. Appears to be newer, but we have no confirmation of the tooltip for the recall correct?

1657483619271.png

BECM G2283351-2.0
SOBDMB G2225749-5.0

Job2/Electric Motor #5
No, not that I know of.

EDIT: That is the same BECM tooltip for a 24 May 22 build that just came out of the plant and has not had any updates. Currently at rev. NJ98-14C197-BC

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
@Mike G and @WyldStallyn

I just ran one of the VINs in the update thread so I'll post it here since it's public already.
3FMTK3SU6MMA50263

The tooltip version for his BECM isn't in the list that Wyld provided. Appears to be newer, but we have no confirmation of the tooltip for the recall correct?

BECM G2283351-2.0
SOBDMB G2225749-5.0

Job2/Electric Motor #5
I don't have the tooltip versions but looking at this VIN:

BECM : Of course of the recall updates, only BECM did not record the tooltip prefix in the Resource ID history. Prefix is different than on my GTPE so this may have a different prefix depending on model. There are three BECM version prefixes (standard, extended, GT).

SOBDMB: I had G2225749-4.0 in May, this VIN is showing 5.0

SOBDMC: G2186400-3.0 in May, this VIN is offering the same.

My assumption is BECM just has a different prefix (I'll have to start paying attention to this with future updates). All my VINs cleared from FDRS so I'll have to go digging for more. SOBDMB seems to still offer a newer version. SOBDMC is still the May version.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I don't have the tooltip versions but looking at this VIN:

BECM : Of course of the recall updates, only BECM did not record the tooltip prefix in the Resource ID history. Prefix is different than on my GTPE so this may have a different prefix depending on model. There are three BECM version prefixes (standard, extended, GT).

SOBDMB: I had G2225749-4.0 in May, this VIN is showing 5.0

SOBDMC: G2186400-3.0 in May, this VIN is offering the same.

My assumption is BECM just has a different prefix (I'll have to start paying attention to this with future updates). All my VINs cleared from FDRS so I'll have to go digging for more. SOBDMB seems to still offer a newer version. SOBDMC is still the May version.
You're amazing, thank you.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
No, not that I know of.

EDIT: That is the same BECM tooltip for a 24 May 22 build that just came out of the plant and has not had any updates. Currently at rev. NJ98-14C197-BC
That might be why we didn't recognize it. Thank you.

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You want me to analyze the data on that? Guaranteed not to be skewed 🤣
I am reminded of a favorite quote: "the plural of anecdote is not data."

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
@Mike G and @WyldStallyn

3FMTK3SU6MMA50263

1657483619271.png

BECM G2283351-2.0
SOBDMB G2225749-5.0

Job2/Electric Motor #5
I know this is a really basic question, but what does "tooltip version" mean?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
This is the most confusing recall situation I have ever seen. This thread clears it all up. Oh wait . . . o_O

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I know this is a really basic question, but what does "tooltip version" mean?
For people who have never used FDRS it's understandable that you wouldn't know.

If you hover over the updates that are pending for the vehicle you'll see a tooltip, which is the black box that describes the update. In that box it gives a version number of the software to be updated. Unfortunately, it doesn't match the module version number. So when we look for version numbers we have to do some cross referencing.

So in other words, we can see what version you have installed, and we can see in a cross referenced way, the version the software wants to install. The numbers just don't match each other. Ford doesn't make it easy for us.

A fictional example would be:

Tooltip version G23423423-5.0 = Software Version DSF-34234-AB

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Okay so I’ve been following this thread with both fascination and admiration (a true thank you to those who have provided some insight into how all this work.)

What’s the upshot at this point? Sounds like the recall was pulled, and that’s that. No point going in for service if we had something scheduled, and no way to force an update, as usual.

Kind of a bummer that Ford continues to bungle anything software related. (I’m looking past the hardware failure here but that’s also a shame.) As always, I get software is hard and this stuff isn’t simple, but the communication around it doesn’t have to be.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Sounds like the recall was pulled, and that’s that. No point going in for service if we had something scheduled, and no way to force an update, as usual.
Nailed it

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Okay so I’ve been following this thread with both fascination and admiration (a true thank you to those who have provided some insight into how all this work.)

What’s the upshot at this point? Sounds like the recall was pulled, and that’s that. No point going in for service if we had something scheduled, and no way to force an update, as usual.

Kind of a bummer that Ford continues to bungle anything software related. (I’m looking past the hardware failure here but that’s also a shame.) As always, I get software is hard and this stuff isn’t simple, but the communication around it doesn’t have to be.
IMO we don't know what will happen this week, and it is possible it will come back tomorrow. Or a newer version will be released. I expect Ford does not want to say they pulled a recall, so I bet whatever happens it will happen fast. Todd just noticed it about 24 hours ago, so really no business days have even passed yet.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Well, I drove the Lightning the other day, and it was great. I am hoping that my voucher will have the Lightning option. ;)
Bah! You all are in the back pocket of big ice and don’t even know it. I’m taking my voucher and buying a Toyota bZ4X. First thing I’m doing is WOT doughnuts around a Mach-e. What could possibly go wrong? :p

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Currently at rev. NJ98-14C197-BC
The recall OTA brought that particular module up to -BD. There were more modules involved of course. And that has little to do with the question at hand.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The recall OTA brought that particular module up to -BD. There were more modules involved of course. And that has little to do with the question at hand.
Yeah but we were comparing modules on one VIN and I didn't recognize that version so I asked him and Wyld if they had seen it before. Either way it's not the recall version but the problem was that we only had a tooltip to go on so only those who keep track of tooltip versions and their associated modules would likely know.

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
So Todd cleared my VIN, confirmed I don't have the new sw, nor is it available for my 4x. Guess that means I don't need it since I have the new part... 🤪

I ordered fancy metal pedals yesterday to withstand the lead foot I've suddenly acquired.
oh did you really get alloy pedals? Can you link me? I’m amazed the GTPE doesnt have them as standard.
Sponsored