Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There's not exactly a shortage of reviews on this thread.

IIRC Time that one was under "expert reviews" and not on a direct mach-e link, so I think it's not the JD powers review. I've been known to be wrong though.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That reads like another hit piece describing what happened in the autoblog hit piece....
Yes, it’s not an original piece at all really. It’s a very basic piece on why charging is important then they took the main part of the Autoblog article and turned it into a synopsis without crediting Autoblog or identifying the author. Or mentioning the car involved was a preproduction vehicle and that this could’ve been an EA issue as well.

Deleted member 2014

wait wait wait if a German review is positive about a Ford car then that means Ford has made the best car ever! ???
Got it! ??
That Magazine giving such a good review for a Ford is like a car of the century award for the MME ?
Joking aside. Very pleased reading this review, since that magazine normally is veeeerry critical with foreign car manufacturers.
Well done Ford! Paaaaarrrttty ??

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The Wall Street Journal’s review is out today in Dan Neil’s Rumble Seat column: Ford’s All-Electric Mach-E: A ‘Mustang’ in Name Only

Dan Neil is my favorite auto columnist and he is very pro-ev. Here, however, he hits Ford for being ‘lazy’ in using the Mustang brand for a new line of SUVs and thinks the vehicle is priced too high (compares it to the MY but completely ignores the fact that the MME still qualifies for 100% of the federal tax credit whereas the MY does not). Once he gets into the driving dynamics itself though, like so many other reviewers before him, he really likes the MME!

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The Wall Street Journal’s review is out today in Dan Neil’s Rumble Seat column: Ford’s All-Electric Mach-E: A ‘Mustang’ in Name Only

Dan Neil is my favorite auto columnist and he is very pro-ev. Here, however, he hits Ford for being ‘lazy’ in using the Mustang brand for a new line of SUVs and thinks the vehicle is priced too high (compares it to the MY but completely ignores the fact that the MME still qualifies for 100% of the federal tax credit whereas the MY does not). Once he gets into the driving dynamics itself though, like so many other reviewers before him, he really likes the MME!
I just read the article; like most reviewers, he has questioned whether this is deserving of the 'Mustang' label, but that has turned into a pretty tired critique at this point. I agree his take on the pricing was very misleading. Not only did he miss the federal tax credit, his statement about a $10K difference was incorrect. An optioned Model Y is only $3K-$4K less than the ER AWD model the author tested.

Reactions: ARK

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just read the article; like most reviewers, he has questioned whether this is deserving of the 'Mustang' label, but that has turned into a pretty tired critique at this point. I agree his take on the pricing was very misleading. Not only did he miss the federal tax credit, his statement about a $10K difference was incorrect. An optioned Model Y is only $3K-$4K less than the ER AWD model the author tested.
The MME is being compared in quality to the Audi and Jaguar (which for their price just edge it out). The Y barely gets mentioned in those critiques. I like the analogy of one reviewer that the MME is the PC to Tesla's Mac ?. Hoping that pans out.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
The MME is being compared in quality to the Audi and Jaguar (which for their price just edge it out). The Y barely gets mentioned in those critiques. I like the analogy of one reviewer that the MME is the PC to Tesla's Mac ?. Hoping that pans out.
Personally, I would prefer the opposite.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
80 to 13 KWh is not a ramp it is a cliff. It makes travel charging to 90% at -15 oC impossible.
Exactly. This is a cliff, not a ramp. Will be very frustrating when more than 80% is necessary, *especially* in per-minute billing states.

80-100% would be about an hour and a half... (adding 18 kWh at 13 kW is about 81 minutes, roughly) which at $0.32/minute (to use a real network example), would be about $26 to finish charging once you go "over the cliff."

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hear once you liquid cool and OC you can build an awesome gaming system. Not sure if he intended it to represent what you like or if it was an analogy to what he sees them as?
I think the MME is definite like a Mac not a PC. The Tesla’s are just like PCs. Not as attractive, tend to not be as high quality. I guess I should say I am an apple guy. I think of PCs as not as well made as macs. i think apple products look better. I never liked windows as well as Mac OS. My macs last a long time. Apple updates their phones till too old to handle the changes where most androids are not updated as well or as frequently I guess depending on who supplies the phone. So I want a well made car, good looking, with regular updates.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Exactly. This is a cliff, not a ramp. Will be very frustrating when more than 80% is necessary, *especially* in per-minute billing states.

80-100% would be about an hour and a half... (adding 18 kWh at 13 kW is about 81 minutes, roughly) which at $0.32/minute (to use a real network example), would be about $26 to finish charging once you go "over the cliff."
If you are sitting at -20 C because that is when you need to charge above 80% we would assume you may want to draw some power for heat while you are sitting there. This could further extend the time frame.
I think the MME is definite like a Mac not a PC. The Tesla’s are just like PCs. Not as attractive, tend to not be as high quality. I guess I should say I am an apple guy. I think of PCs as not as well made as macs. i think apple products look better. I never liked windows as well as Mac OS. My macs last a long time. Apple updates their phones till too old to handle the changes where most androids are not updated as well or as frequently I guess depending on who supplies the phone. So I want a well made car, good looking, with regular updates.
I build my own PC's (15 on the go when the business was running) and have multiple sources for ram, boards, graphics cards, cooling etc. I consider a PC, if components chosen right, to be a lot better made and more maintainable than a Mac. I have noted before, however, that I do not care what it looks like or what color it is; it is all about performance and how solid it is and if it can be fixed when it is needed. I see the MME as him, a PC, and not a single tier, single sourced, authoritarian product. Some see things different.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are sitting at -20 C because that is when you need to charge above 80% we would assume you may want to draw some power for heat while you are sitting there. This could further extend the time frame.

I build my own PC's (15 on the go when the business was running) and have multiple sources for ram, boards, graphics cards, cooling etc. I consider a PC, if components chosen right, to be a lot better made and more maintainable than a Mac. I have noted before, however, that I do not care what it looks like or what color it is; it is all about performance and how solid it is and if it can be fixed when it is needed. I see the MME as him, a PC, and not a single tier, single sourced, authoritarian product. Some see things different.
I can see that for sure. I guess I am talking about the large percentage of people who don’t build their own PC. Likewise there is a small percentage of people who modify cars to improve their handling, performance etc. same thing. Not looking to get into a Mac pc battle per se but out the door from a store I would take a Mac any day for the reasons I stated. I think the Tesla is exactly like a dell computer, unattractive and more likely to break and/or not last. ?
Sponsored