Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Update: Charged at home and the Mach-E stopped charging after about an hour. The charger handle was not hot. Confirmed through the Ford app that 8kwh is being pulled after unplugging and replugging it back in. Reset OBDII codes and will see if I get a full charge over night. Data is attached... Does everything seem nominal? This was captured during charging with the Mach-E in accessory mode.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Car Randomly Stops Charging Screenshot_20230411_205814
Ford Mustang Mach-E Car Randomly Stops Charging Screenshot_20230411_205737_FordPass

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
If you swipe the CarScanner screen left/right, you'll find other screens with relevant sensors:
'AC Charger Coupler'
'DC Charger Coupler'
'HV Charger Output Reduction temperature'

(and I would change the hp to kW in the app settings)

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I just had this happen for the first time ever in the 21 months of owning the car. Back on 4/2, I got the amber ring and the service vehicle soon message. Found this thread and it worked to reset and I haven't seen the amber ring or service vehicle soon message since.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ng-service-vehicle-soon-while-charging.26983/

Fast forward a couple days, after about an hour or two I keep seeing the "Plugged in not charging" message in the FP app when I am charging. I look at the car and no amber ring, Charge Point Home Flex has the blue light. In fact, there are no lights on the car charge port when I go look (I think it is because after 30 seconds it turns off) until I unplug and the ring turns white (like normal). The handle of the charger is not hot (just the usual warm as it always was). After unplugging - about an hour or so - I get the accidental unplugged email in the FP app.

I've waited over night and then try again and sometimes it works and sometimes it does the same thing. I have no clue what is causing it. No error lights or messages. We are thinking about re-setting the charge point home flex to use less amps (and slower charge) to see if that makes a difference. It is hardwired on a 60amp breaker.
Not to derail the thread, but your symptoms are similar to what happened to me Sunday night. Amber ring, SVS, HV Battery warning. Let it sit for about 45min and I got an "accidental unplug" message in FP about 45min after unplugging. Also have a CP HomeFlex.

I've done 2 small charges since without issue

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
8kW is what FordPass will display when connected to a 40A L2 charger. Something like ~85% efficient from what is pulled from the wall.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
8kW is what FordPass will display when connected to a 40A L2 charger. Something like ~85% efficient from what is pulled from the wall.
You probably realize this, but I’ll state it for others who may stumble on this….

The efficiency is only discernible if you know the AC charge power. Either measured or EVSE-supplied data. You can’t assume a 40A EVSE means 40A charge current.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not to derail the thread, but your symptoms are similar to what happened to me Sunday night. Amber ring, SVS, HV Battery warning. Let it sit for about 45min and I got an "accidental unplug" message in FP about 45min after unplugging. Also have a CP HomeFlex.

I've done 2 small charges since without issue
Ever before? Appears to be more of these L2 charging problems lately. Kind of pointing to a recent install? What update were you on when it happened?

That fits in with the dyna testing results. 101.2KW Recharge Event Energy (kiloWatt-hours) for 88KWh or exactly 15%. Not sure how temp plays into it? I know when it has to heat the batteries up before charging them the efficiency goes down ;) Mine says 8KW on the app which is in line with my time vs percentage numbers that I did at the beginning (plug in dumb charger). Never a problem reaching target with my 8 hour off peak night time window. At that point it is fast enough.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Ever before? Appears to be more of these L2 charging problems lately. Kind of pointing to a recent install? What update were you on when it happened?

That fits in with the dyna testing results. 101.2KW Recharge Event Energy (kiloWatt-hours) for 88KWh or exactly 15%. Not sure how temp plays into it? I know when it has to heat the batteries up before charging them the efficiency goes down ;) Mine says 8KW on the app which is in line with my time vs percentage numbers that I did at the beginning (plug in dumb charger). Never a problem reaching target with my 8 hour off peak night time window. At that point it is fast enough.
Never any issues before the 4.2.x series. Was on (still am) 4.2.4 when this happened.

I previously had one charge fault message at a hotel in the middle of the night, though it apparently resolved itself and continued charging without issue (maybe that was an EVSE issue).

I pulled codes and there was nothing active or pending, so I am going with software bug.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Update: Charged at home and the Mach-E stopped charging after about an hour. The charger handle was not hot. Confirmed through the Ford app that 8kwh is being pulled after unplugging and replugging it back in. Reset OBDII codes and will see if I get a full charge over night. Data is attached... Does everything seem nominal? This was captured during charging with the Mach-E in accessory mode.
I saw a used branded Mach E with almost 20k miles. The reason for buyback was charging problem. It did not specific slow or fast charging. Have you taken your MME to the dealer?

Last edited:

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I have had this issue with my Grizzl-E charger. I unplugged the EVSE itself, and plugged it back into the 240V socket to restart it and it was fine.

Mine is also set to 32A - I recall a while back some folks reported issues when their Grizzl-E chargers were set to 40A.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I've heard of this concern with Grizzl-E chargers multiple times. Can you try using your ford mobile charger?

edit: nvm you already answered that one.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Just an update, I haven't had any issues since I restarted my Grizzl-E charger and cleared those DTC codes.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've heard of this concern with Grizzl-E chargers multiple times. Can you try using your ford mobile charger?

edit: nvm you already answered that one.
Never a problem with my grizzl-e. The only time I have seen red port charging rings is the 3 times the 12V in the car got so low in sub-zero temperatures it errored out. It has always been the car but it would be nice if we could blame the charger.

Just an update, I haven't had any issues since I restarted my Grizzl-E charger and cleared those DTC codes.
There was an update for L2 errors wonder if that is what people are seeing. Power up 4.2.4?

Last edited:

stratigary

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
I just thought that I would let you know that I had the exact same issue with the same OBD code as you except mine was with a Chargepoint homeflex.

In short, the “overheating” issue was due to a faulty temperature sensor not in the EVSE plug, but rather in the charge port itself on the car. Ford had to replace the charge port and entire harness in the car to fix the issue.

I mention this only in the even that your issue pops back up after some time and you don’t know what to do next.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I just thought that I would let you know that I had the exact same issue with the same OBD code as you except mine was with a Chargepoint homeflex.

In short, the “overheating” issue was due to a faulty temperature sensor not in the EVSE plug, but rather in the charge port itself on the car. Ford had to replace the charge port and entire harness in the car to fix the issue.

I mention this only in the even that your issue pops back up after some time and you don’t know what to do next.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Do you know how much that would cost to replace? My car has been out of warantee for a while.

Also, it's been pretty chilly at night here, I'm wondering if this issue will pop up again when it starts to heat up outside? I didn't check the days that it happened, but we've had a few warmer days these past two weeks... wonder if there's a correlation.
Sponsored