Bueller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Public Affairs
Country flag
I have a 2022 Mach E. My employer has installed a bunch of Juice Box chargers that employees can use. Since I got the car about a year ago, the Juice Box has added about 20 miles per hour of range when plugged in. Recently, it’s dropped to only adding about 8 miles per hour of range. I’ve tried several chargers with the same result.

When I check the app while charging, it shows the Juice Box as “AC Basic” which isn’t accurate. I’ve looked through the various sections of the owners manual interface and found nothing. Right before this issue started, I received a message on the screen when I parked that said something like “Software update will start soon. You won’t be able to use your car for 30 minutes.” When I came out later in the day, it said the update was complete, but the only thing I noticed at the time was my radio pre-sets were jacked up. I’m now wondering if the update somehow messed up the charging. Any thoughts on what happened and how to fix? Thanks.
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge the car does not set the charging speed. It is set internally to the EVSE or by software. At what amps does your car charge at home and do other EV’s charge faster at your workplace? Also what app are you referring to?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I have a 2022 Mach E. My employer has installed a bunch of Juice Box chargers that employees can use. Since I got the car about a year ago, the Juice Box has added about 20 miles per hour of range when plugged in. Recently, it’s dropped to only adding about 8 miles per hour of range. I’ve tried several chargers with the same result.
When you say "several chargers" do you mean other locations, or different chargers at your place of employment?

When I check the app while charging, it shows the Juice Box as “AC Basic” which isn’t accurate.
I believe FordPass will always indicate "AC Basic" for any L1 / L2 charge session. That just means you are not DCFC'ing.

Right before this issue started, I received a message on the screen when I parked that said something like “Software update will start soon. [...] I’m now wondering if the update somehow messed up the charging. [...]
It is unlikely the software update process impaired your car's rate of charge.

The two possibilities that come to my mind are:

a) Something is overheating in your charge port or cable (or a sensor is malfunctioning)

b) Your employer has decided to be less generous and turned down the max A setting on all of the chargers at your workplace. If you work an 8 hour shift, recovering 64 miles of range is still a pretty nice perk.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
Like bshaw said any level 2 charging is acbasic as far as the car is concerned.

Are more people plugging in now than before? I'd guess it's balance loading for multiple cars plugged in, or they turned down the power on them.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Like bshaw said any level 2 charging is acbasic as far as the car is concerned.

Are more people plugging in now than before? I'd guess it's balance loading for multiple cars plugged in, or they turned down the power on them.
This is the likely answer.

OP can plug in elsewhere and verify that by getting a charge at the old speed.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
My Clipper Creek at home shows up as AC basic. It's 32amp. It might need to hit a certain amp to show up as level2. The Juice box is also configurable. And your employer/eletric co might be able to control the charge rate (I think that was on last years JB's)
JB's can chain. I think they will split amps amungst the active chargers like the Tesla wall charger will.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
everyone has given you the right answers / components but just to summarize:

1. AC basic is the correct label
2. the speed of the charger can be degraded by the how many other people are using it. i'm in a similar situation with chargepoint chargers, the top of the charger specifically says 6khw shared. so when i'm charging solo i get 6kwh when someone else is there i get 3kwh
3. including inefficiency, 3kwh is actually around 2.5kwh. i've never paid attention to mi/hr when it comes to charging but 8mi does sound pretty close to 2.5kwh, and this is without even knowing the speed of your charger

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Clipper Creek at home shows up as AC basic. It's 32amp. It might need to hit a certain amp to show up as level2. The Juice box is also configurable. And your employer/eletric co might be able to control the charge rate (I think that was on last years JB's)
JB's can chain. I think they will split amps amungst the active chargers like the Tesla wall charger will.
All level 1 and level 2 chargers (yours is a level 2 charger) show up as AC Basic.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag