Electrify America HomeStation - feedback / reviews?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Grizzl-E is a solid product! I fully expect mine to outlast my ownership of this MME (est. 5-yrs), and maybe my next EV as well. Yes, it's that well put together.
The cables are substantial as well, I was impressed!
Sponsored

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Website says there is a hardwire option but I donā€™t need that anyway. I already have the NEMA 14-50 plug in the garage for the charger that came with the car. Thatā€™s good enough for me.
Yes, but the hardwire option with it is limited to 40amp. An EVSE with 48amp capabilities will provide a few additional miles per hour charging than will a 40amp EVSE.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Yes, but the hardwire option with it is limited to 40amp. An EVSE with 48amp capabilities will provide a few additional miles per hour charging than will a 40amp EVSE.
Ok, but like I said, doesnā€™t matter to me, Iā€™m plugging it in.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
So far, Iā€™ve gotten a lot of info about other chargers. I donā€™t need any more of that but thank you all anyway. Iā€™ve been reading here about chargers for months and I can see what the price range is for the more popular ones.

I was specifically wondering if anybody has purchased and used the EA HomeStation?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So far, Iā€™ve gotten a lot of info about other chargers. I donā€™t need any more of that but thank you all anyway. Iā€™ve been reading here about chargers for months and I can see what the price range is for the more popular ones.

I was specifically wondering if anybody has purchased and used the EA HomeStation?
I think the question is what are you looking for in a charger that you donā€™t get now? I found very little value in smart chargers since MME handled everything. Only thing I would like is more detailed charge logs, which is why I might put an upgrade card in my Grizzl-E.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Seems a bit on the pricy side to me, but I guess it is a "smart" EVSE. I chose the "dumb" Grizzl-e to save $200.
I went with a Grizzl-E dumb charger to save $200 as well. Then saw they were selling refurbished ones and saved an additional $100. Great deal for something thatā€™s been QAā€™d twice. ?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, actually the (my) question is exactly what I posted:

I think you know the answer now. Was just wondering why people pay extra for these smart features that are redundant.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I haven't used the EA homestation but I have used their public DC and AC chargers multiple times and both the chargers' software and their overall server network have left negative impression to me. Often times their chargers require reboot to start working again. Other times the charger status is not displayed correctly and/or they don't know until you call them. Then it takes weeks, sometimes months to fix broken chargers.
I understand that the home charger is a different product, but maybe it reuse the same server network or similar software.
I would not buy their home charger until they show more robustness on their public network first.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven' used the EA homestation but I have used their DC chargers multiple times and both the chargers' software and their overall server network have left negative impression to me. Often times their chargers require reboot to start working again. Other times they don't see that chargers are unavailable until you call them.
Who knows, maybe their home chargers reuse the same server network or similar software.
I would not buy their home charger until they show more robustness on their public network first.
I'm pretty lucky I guess I haven't run into an EA issue yet except for slow charging on a 350kw station. I've definitely seen the complaints. My biggest complaint is they pick the worst spots for them like a random Walmart.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Anybody have this EA charge station? Opinions? Theyā€™re offering a small discount for Christmas and I was considering a purchase seeing as there is also the 30% federal tax credit. Iā€™ve been using the cord the car came with so far, which I have to say has worked fine. Guess I just feel like something electronic for Christmas.
I've had an indoor EA home EVSE for my Seattle home for 6 months. It has been the most trouble-free of my 3 EVSEs. My others are an outdoor Grizzle Xtreme dumb charger at my Alaska work site and an indoor Ford Connected Charge Station at my Alaska house. The Grizzle charger was replaced quickly and smoothly under warranty for a recurring fault. The Ford Charge Station 'connected' feature only worked for about a month. Ford has not responded to my multiple case numbers over the past 6 months.

My only minor complaint about the EA charger is that the charge amperage isn't software selectable (only dipswitches). Some pluses for the EA home charger is it is not made in China and the home station is integrated with the regular EA fast charging app so you don't need a separate one.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I've had an indoor EA home EVSE for my Seattle home for 6 months. It has been the most trouble-free of my 3 EVSEs. My others are an outdoor Grizzle Xtreme dumb charger at my Alaska work site and an indoor Ford Connected Charge Station at my Alaska house. The Grizzle charger was replaced quickly and smoothly under warranty for a recurring fault. The Ford Charge Station 'connected' feature only worked for about a month. Ford has not responded to my multiple case numbers over the past 6 months.

My only minor complaint about the EA charger is that the charge amperage isn't software selectable (only dipswitches). Some pluses for the EA home charger is it is not made in China and the home station is integrated with the regular EA fast charging app so you don't need a separate one.
Thank you. Thatā€™s the info I was looking for.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I checked with Duke Power and they donā€™t have any rebates for EVSEā€™s. So far so good using the Ford Mobile EVSE in my Garage. In fact, I would be interested in buying another one to have for a spare and keep in the car.
Sponsored