Ford Customer Service claims no models built before 7/7/21 will see a frunk button in FordPass

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
Second row buttons, like the window controls? Because I don't have those and thought it required PaaK for some reason.
<SNIP>
Yep, those buttons plus the liftgate and frunk buttons. They do require FordPass and PaaK to be enabled together. Unless you're me for the first several months I owned my car (or a couple of other select people who had non-alphanumeric characters in their perfectly legal email addresses). They're there now, but it was a major pain in the behind to get Ford to 1) acknowledge there was a problem, 2) Acknowledge it was a server-side issue, and 3) figure out a fix. 😕🐩

Based on that experience, I posit that there is a server-side boolean operand that needs to be flipped to get a 2021 Job1 car's frunk button activated. Some simple code to detect the GFM and BCM versions would do it, but we all know how the FordPass software team is... 🤬🐩

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I actually popped my frunk today to hide a gift there. Used the door sill keypad method, which is MUCH easier than opening the door and reaching down to pull the mechanical lever twice.

Truthfully, I doubt I would ever use the FordPass method because tapping the Sync screen when inside the car, and tapping the door sill when outside, is easier than messing with the app.

But I just want my car to feel complete. It’s annoying not having a feature that would be so easy to add. It’s the principle I guess.

Reactions: RSH

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
If the dealer did it, is it really an unofficial hack?
What documentation was the dealer following to expressly enable remote frunk release? Can you point to a specific Ford document directing the dealer to do this?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I would take this with a grain of salt. What they mean is that it was started to be enabled on 2021 Job 2s and if you have a 2021 Job 1 you won't see it, cause duh you don't have that feature enabled yet. I think @Administrator should change title of this post or lock it, because it's very misleading.
Let’s look at what the CSR actually said:
For Mach-E's built prior to 07/07/2021, the Frunk icon
will not be visible in FordPass.
couple that very explicit statement with the lack of any documentation from Ford to Dealers to do ANY of the steps people have discovered that partly enable the functionality, and I stand by my original position. Ford aren’t a bunch of cruel ogres (despite what @HuntingPudel thinks 😀) who deliberately want to deny early adopters a frunk release. I’m sure if they could easily do it, they would have by now. For example, they gave us our second fobs.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And works like a charm once you get the frunk update!
There is no “frunk update”. There is updated software for some modules that happens to partly enable the electronic frunk release, but Ford has not officially released any updates specifically to enable the electronic frunk release on Job 1 vehicles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have repeatedly said that I think there is some hardware limitation that is preventing ford from enabling the remote frunk release in Job 1s. This pretty much seals the deal (assuming the CSR is correct). Yes, I realize there is an “unofficial hack”, meaning that the latest code for some modules has the effect of enabling the electric frunk release from the keypad, fob, and sync screen, but nowhere has ford officially acknowledged, endorsed, or officially made that available to owners through normal channels (such as an SSM/TSB, or an OTA).

I sure hope this is just a case of a poorly informed CSR 😢
If there is a hardware limitation, why is it working on my First Edition?
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ically-2021-job-1-first-edition-mach-e.25138/

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What documentation was the dealer following to expressly enable remote frunk release? Can you point to a specific Ford document directing the dealer to do this?
No idea. It wasn't my dealer. Just seems unlikely the dealer would do something "unofficial" to a car under warranty (at least I assume it still is).

But who knows.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No idea. It wasn't my dealer. Just seems unlikely the dealer would do something "unofficial" to a car under warranty (at least I assume it still is).

But who knows.
And that’s exactly the point I’ve been trying to make. If I don’t have something official to show my dealer, they’d well be within their rights to tell me to “pound sand”. I want to make it as easy as possible for them to say “yes”.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Let’s look at what the CSR actually said:

couple that very explicit statement with the lack of any documentation from Ford to Dealers to do ANY of the steps people have discovered that partly enable the functionality, and I stand by my original position. Ford aren’t a bunch of cruel ogres (despite what @HuntingPudel thinks 😀) who deliberately want to deny early adopters a frunk release. I’m sure if they could easily do it, they would have by now. For example, they gave us our second fobs.
"will not be" as in "it presently doesn't have it" not the future tense usage of "will not be".

RedTiv

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
What do I need to do to get the door keypad release to work in my Job 1? I type in my user code + 8 and it does not release the frunk.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I just did this on mine. The keypad frunk release will scare the hell out of anyone in front of it. I can’t wait to use it on my family.
Sponsored