Grizzl-E - blinking blue when not in use?

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Recently got a Grizzl-E station and unfortunately it was working great until the past few days. When I need a charge, the station is typically blue, indicating it’s ready to charge. Lately it’s either been blinking blue (meaning it’s plugged in, not charging) or blinking green (meaning it’s plugged in, actively charging).

But the problem is that it’s not plugged in to my car… When plugging in, I immediately get a charge fault (Orange ring, FordPass notification). To fix it, I can unplug it from the outlet to reset back to a solid blue light, but I don’t think I should have to do that every time. Anyone else run into issues with their Grizzl-E?
Sponsored

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Recently got a Grizzl-E station and unfortunately it was working great until the past few days. When I need a charge, the station is typically blue, indicating it’s ready to charge. Lately it’s either been blinking blue (meaning it’s plugged in, not charging) or blinking green (meaning it’s plugged in, actively charging).

But the problem is that it’s not plugged in to my car… When plugging in, I immediately get a charge fault (Orange ring, FordPass notification). To fix it, I can unplug it from the outlet to reset back to a solid blue light, but I don’t think I should have to do that every time. Anyone else run into issues with their Grizzl-E?
I had an issue with GFCI over sensitivity on the Duo. The charger would beep and flash red twice. Support was super accommodating, and as soon as they saw the video they approved a new one to be sent out to me. I would just contact them, they're great.

OP
OP
cbcasas

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had an issue with GFCI over sensitivity on the Duo. The charger would beep and flash red twice. Support was super accommodating, and as soon as they saw the video they approved a new one to be sent out to me. I would just contact them, they're great.
Thanks. I wish it would show a red light to indicate something was wrong with the unit but the lights I’m getting aren’t indicative of that. I’ll email Grizzl-E and then get a replacement via Amazon because it seems faster.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Thanks. I wish it would show a red light to indicate something was wrong with the unit but the lights I’m getting aren’t indicative of that. I’ll email Grizzl-E and then get a replacement via Amazon because it seems faster.
If you buy a replacement don’t expect to be reimbursed. Use the mobile charger while Grizzl-E sorts it out.

OP
OP
cbcasas

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you buy a replacement don’t expect to be reimbursed. Use the mobile charger while Grizzl-E sorts it out.
Thanks chuck. I originally purchased through Amazon and am still within my return window there, so I ordered a replacement via Amazon Support. I’ve emailed the Grizzl tech for more clarification on the issue.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
@Shayne sounds like the same problem you had. Shows plug connected or charging but isn't actually.

I've been hearing about more issues with Grizzl-E's lately. Just a WAG but could be related to failing 12V power modules. Low 12V supply voltage could fool the EVSE into thinking a car is connected or requesting power since that's how the car communicates commands (by lowering the control pilot voltage). To me, the software should be monitoring the 12V rail and go into a fault mode if it's out of spec, sounds like that failure mode maybe wasn't addressed in the software.

Flashing green while not connected is concerning since it means the plug end is probably live while disconnected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cbcasas

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Shayne sounds like the same problem you had. Shows plug connected or charging but isn't actually.

I've been hearing about more issues with Grizzl-E's lately. Just a WAG but could be related to failing 12V power modules.
The issue I’m having doesn’t seem to have any relation to the car. It’s as if the Grizzl is confused and thinks it’s actively connected to a car when it’s disconnected and on standby.
The car charges fine when a solid indicator is initially shown on the Grizzl but I can only get a solid indicator after hard resetting the box.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I've been hearing about more issues with Grizzl-E's lately. Just a WAG but could be related to failing 12V power modules. Low 12V supply voltage could fool the EVSE into thinking a car is connected or requesting power since that's how the car communicates commands (by lowering the control pilot voltage). To me, the software should be monitoring the 12V rail and go into a fault mode if it's out of spec, sounds like that failure mode maybe wasn't addressed in the software.

Flashing green while not connected is concerning since it means the plug end is probably live while disconnected.
No not my problem mine is a grizzl-e extreme

Steady blue = not plugged into the car all well
Steady green = connected to car not charging
Blinking green = connected to car charging
Steady red = power outage did not reset right flip the breaker.

My car when it get cold draws powers for 10 to 12 hours grizzle blinking green car charging port lights flashing. All good like normal charging but what it is drawing power for 10 to 12 hours for is the unknown. Exactly the same as when charging but no energy is added to the car HVB in that 12 hour period. It did this a lot last winter also. Charger has charged the car flawlessly for over a year and a half and still no problems. If it was just the grizzle lights maybe the charger but the car is happily taking the power also. It is a dumb charger and only supplies power when asked and it is the car asking.
Sponsored