VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
Lower Alabama ringing in here. Looking forward to the details, but I think this is a win. Every time I try to get a fast charge locally, there is something not working right and tons of empty chargers on the Tesla side. I have trips I can’t take at all in the winter. My extended family will NOT put up with this. The naysayers just get fuel for their arguments. My news feed is completely filled with the FUD aspects of charging. This is why Ford can’t sell MME’s locally. I love my MME…but I can’t recommend it to family and friends entirely because of charging. NEVI is too far away to help. This kind of flexibility is what the brand needs. The future needs options. People must have confidence that the change won’t mean they can’t go where the kids’ soccer game is.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I suppose they’ll issue a CSP to control the distribution of the adapters. This is how Ford issued the 2nd keyfobs to the pre- 07/07/21 builds. While Farley didn’t say “free”, I also interpret it that way.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Of course you are. You are also more than welcome to support what or who you want.

Sometimes people who we dislike partner with others for common good. I think people should be able to put aside their dislikes for the betterment of everyone. If one can't then I personally feel like that's a bit sad, but par for course in today's environment.
I think it is more nuanced than that. It can be difficult to separate out I support you on A but not on B. Figuring out the extent to which support of A leads indirectly to support of B is not an easy calculation.

Secret Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium RWD ER
Country flag
And the notice in the FordPass app says:
"Adapter pricing as well as charging rates will be shared closer to Tesla Superchargers becoming available through the BlueOval Charge Network."

Maybe it'll be free. After all, even if they give you one for free, that doesn't mean your second one when you leave it behind by accident will be, so it'll still have a price. Or maybe Farley misspoke and it won't be free. Or maybe it'll be "free" where it costs money but you get that back in supercharging credits. We'll find out in a yearish. Supposedly.
Or maybe they really don't know yet. Presumably whether or how much we're charged for the adaptor is at least partly dependent on Tesla. It's access to paying to use their charging network we're getting, so it's at least as much in their interest as it is Ford's to get an adaptor out to all current MME owners. My guess is they're still negotiating these details. Since Tesla CCS adaptors are available from third parties for under $200 it seems they could make CCS to Tesla adaptors quite inexpensive for us to buy, at worst.

Last edited:

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
Or maybe they really don't know yet. Presumably whether or how much we're charged for the adaptor is at least partly dependent on Tesla.
BIngo. When it says "pricing will be made available", that pricing might be "free" to owners who sign up or free with a certain amount of ford points or free for certain years and subsidized for others. With a two-company deal like this, ford might not be able to just Make It So.

I agree the wording leans towards there being a price. And the CEO's words bend to free. But neither definitively say.

Let's just take the win: 2x the chargers is nothing but benefit, and if they charge too much money and you don't want to buy an adapter or service, don't.

We also don't know if Fords will pay the same price for power as Teslas. I could imagine Tesla doing exactly that (even though they didn't on the Magic Dock stations?). There's plenty of room for price shennigans in all directions, but, no one has to use the network.

[ Yeah, there's a downside: damage in lack of use to the nascent CCS networks. I can't bring a tear for them: they haven't organized their business to satisfy customers. There is a HUGE non-tesla charge station being constructed in Redwood City california, the likes of which I've never seen (20 stations? 30?), and construction is just crawling along. Go faster, make people happy, that's how you deal with competition. ]

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
As someone that does not own an MME, is there a reason why you can't have 2 separate ports, one on left, one on right?

I mean, if they can do this, LOL? (Driver ED car).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS / SOCIAL / MUSK COMMENTARY] 1685391297821

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Who said that?
Farley didn't make it clear that future vehicles would have NACS instead of CCS1 in that Twitter Spaces discussion.

However, having heard multiple interviews and analyses (especially the one by the Munro team), it is clear that Ford is switching to NACS and will not install both.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm majorly disappointed. I liked CCS. It was the defacto standard, and in just a few more years there would be more chargers.
Now we'll have access to twice as many chargers by next year.
Sponsored