chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yeah well my other vehicles are a Honda Fit and... my cargo ebike so I have a fair bit of hostility to oversized emotional support vehicles pickups for some reason.
yeah I'm a road cyclist so riding out in the boonies they tend to roll coal our groups. I laughed one year a guy rolled coal on our group, lost control of the car ran off both sides of the road and did a 360 degree, instant karma.
Sponsored

DugthePug Dad

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So with the information above I guess I get a deal @ $150... In CA.

Add in the 10.25% sales tax When I bought my car and , well here we are.

Jim_In_Mass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
With the gas tax not having increased in eons, and more EVs not paying gas taxes, something should be done to maintain the roads.

But how to do it without alienating some constituency the politician needs? (Guess what - any policy will piss somebody off....)

Should be based on the cars weight & mileage, rather than per-gallon, since EVs and hybrids and hydrogen-powered cars avoid (to some extent) the gas pump.

I was a little surprised (probably shouldn't have been) that my insurance company had my mileage driven from the previous year based on my state inspection.

So at that point, the state has mileage, has the make/model of the car which means weight, they can come after you for "your fair share" of road maintenance.

And if for policy reasons they want to put their finger on the scale to promote less fossil fuel usage, they can keep some form of a gas tax on top of that.

geeklifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CR1, 2020 Niro EV
Country flag
In Illinois, I pay an extra $100 a year at license renewal time. I haven't looked into it to see if that extra is earmarked for the roads, but I hope so. I'm fine with it, even though I probably drive under 10,000 miles a year so I am probably paying more than I did with my last ICE car. Unless the taxing method for the roads gets a complete overhaul, which I don't think will happen anytime soon, this seems to be a fairly equitable solution. It is very tricky to make this fair without tracking every mile. The tax per-gallon was great when everyone had to buy gas, but EVs are different.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
In CT we pay personal property taxes on our vehicles. Since the value is established on Oct 1 we have been taxed on inflated MME values for 10/22 and 10/23 years.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
In Illinois, I pay an extra $100 a year at license renewal time. I haven't looked into it to see if that extra is earmarked for the roads, but I hope so. I'm fine with it, even though I probably drive under 10,000 miles a year so I am probably paying more than I did with my last ICE car. Unless the taxing method for the roads gets a complete overhaul, which I don't think will happen anytime soon, this seems to be a fairly equitable solution. It is very tricky to make this fair without tracking every mile. The tax per-gallon was great when everyone had to buy gas, but EVs are different.
Maybe the taxes can be on based on gross vehicle weight instead of collected at the pump.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Illinois has tax is now $0.454 per gallon. For 10,000 miles, your ICE would have to get more than 45 MPG to pay less than $100. Plus, there is federal tax.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
ICE vehicles pay per mile based on how much gas they use. All vehicles should pay the same way.
Not true, taxes on gasoline are per gallon, not per mile.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 4
Country flag
Fee to licence a vehicle should be based on GVWR. That makes cars pay less and SUVs / trucks pay more. A heavier-than-average EV would pay more compensating for the higher wear it causes to the road.

Basing on GVWR would also encourge more cars and less trucks.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
Are we paying our Fair Share of highway taxes? Since those taxes are mostly a per gallon assessment, in most cases we are not and it isn't helping anyone. Some States are charging a fee when you register your BEV but that isn't fair either. There needs to be a tax based on miles driven and the weight of the vehicle. Here in upstate NY the roads took a beating this winter and road repairs are very expensive. There needs to be an equitable solution.
California added extra tax to EV registration

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Most states have some sort of vehicle inspection/smog check requirement. it'd be easy enough to stop by for 10 minutes, for $10, once a year and have someone verify your mileage. They know the vehicle weight. Bob's your uncle, we have a valid amount to tax/bill you on.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Colorado = $150 per year tied to registration for new plate tags.

mach-ebert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium FE
Occupation
Technology
Country flag
We pay more than our fair share in Wisconsin. Almost double what a gas car would pay. I think it should be approximately equal.
And the roads are generally trash. For a state where construction is basically one of the seasons, they never seem to improve anything longer than a year. I've been swerving around the same pothole for 3 years.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Most states have some sort of vehicle inspection/smog check requirement. it'd be easy enough to stop by for 10 minutes, for $10, once a year and have someone verify your mileage. They know the vehicle weight. Bob's your uncle, we have a valid amount to tax/bill you on.
Maybe most states, but every state I've lived in only required emissions check: Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Arizona. None of them require any inspection on EVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.