scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Is it also faster 0-60? How do the warranties compare? Vehicle costs? Ride handling?

I think that's an interesting and fascinating data point, but I don't know what to make of it at all.
Oh sure not an apples to apples comparison, but you gotta think here that Ford missed some basic engineering work or testing here before releasing the GT models.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
You know a guy who knows a guy?
Youkiddin? Don't look....

(There's guys in this thread. The place is lousy wid'em.)

I told ya not to look!

Fugetaboutit!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
ok well I don’t know why they would tell me that and not do the update on mine….?
Well...frankly. I think it may have been "story time", without the milk and cookies, to be honest.

Just sayin'.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Is it also faster 0-60? How do the warranties compare? Vehicle costs? Ride handling?

I think that's an interesting and fascinating data point, but I don't know what to make of it at all.
The 0-100km is faster than euro 0-100km time of 3.7 so maybe

Ford Mustang Mach-E Safety Recall 22S41 - 2021-2022 Mach E - HVBJB Recall [high voltage battery main contactors may overheat] 1655515886062

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Oh sure not an apples to apples comparison, but you gotta think here that Ford missed some basic engineering work or testing here before releasing the GT models.
That's been a fact on every single vehicle -- from a variety of manufacturers -- that I've owned in my lifetime.

This says nothing about the Chinese vehicles, though. I'm guessing none of them are engineered to perfection, either.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
They have a complicated algorithm to figure out if the part is failing or not then they have to modify other module software to react to that happening. It may be more than just the SOBDMC and BECM or maybe it is just those two.
Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like a giant load of crap? Ford has a sophisticated computer algorithm that will "figure out" if a part is failing. Really? Ford? Ford Motor Company? Is there anything in the Company's history that suggests Ford is capable of such a thing?

What do we have to believe to in order to pretend this is true?
  1. Ford had the near-godlike foresight to place dedicated sensors in the car to observe and report the state of this specific part? They just have not bothered to turn these sensors on till now. Seems far-fetched.
  2. Ford had the prescience to record the details of every single past driving and charging event during the first year I owned my car, so they can develop a reasonable estimate of time-to-failure based on my complete driving history? Yeah, sure. Or,
  3. Ford has none of those things, but figure they can slap a random number generator into a half-assed computer program and pretend they are "fixing" the situation with some computerized wild guess that won't actually predict anything, but will let them avoid, postpone, and spread out the needed hardware replacements.
Call me a cynic, but I know which of the above three scenarios sounds most likely to me.

Last edited:

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like a giant load of crap? Ford has a sophisticated computer algorithm that will "figure out" if a part is failing. Really? Ford? Ford Motor Company? Is there anything in the Company's history that suggests Ford is capable of such a thing?

What do we have to believe to in order to pretend this is true?
  1. Ford had the near-godlike foresight to place dedicated sensors in the car to observe and report the state of this specific part? They just have not bothered to turn these sensors on till now. Seems far-fetched.
  2. Ford had the prescience to record the details of every single past driving and charging event during the first year owned my car, so they can develop a reasonable estimate of time-to-failure based on my complete driving history? Yeah, sure. Or,
  3. Ford has none of those things, but figure they can slap a random number generator into a half-assed computer program and pretend they are "fixing" the situation with some computerized wild guess that won't actually predict anything, but will let them avoid, postpone, and spread out the needed hardware replacements.
Call me a cynic, but I know which of the above three scenarios sounds most likely to me.
I don't think you understand a lot about electricity but thats ok. There have been some very good educated guesses on the detection methods Ford will use in this thread. It's not like they had sensors in there that were turned off, they're just using the sensors they have to do other things they didn't expect to use them for.

I agree hardware replacements are probably required for at a minimum the GTs, but if the failure rate of EX4's and other trims is tiny then it seems silly to spend the money to replace ALL of those when you can use software to predict failures instead which is a safe method. Of course if they find out they can't truly predict the failures then a full recall of hardware will be required.

Not saying I'm right....just my guess. Hopeful guess.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
when you can use software to predict failures instead which is a safe method.
I saw a few comments today that this is what the software will do, instead of reducing power, as the recall indicates. Where is it written that the software will only monitor and warn?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I saw a few comments today that this is what the software will do, instead of reducing power, as the recall indicates. Where is it written that the software will only monitor and warn?
I believe the recall notice details that the software will monitor as well as reduce power as needed in certain situations to protect the defective part from further damage.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I'll buy that for a $1.

First thing I plan on checking once I get my car out of the shop with the new HVBJB- that and flooring it ;)

Car went into dealer on the 31st, 12v appears to have died on the 8th- lost contact with the car, no movement- dealer confirmed it is no longer drivable, Ford customer rep told me today new part was expedited yesterday, but still no ETA.

Watch them include the remote frunk open in the same OTA for this to get everyone onboard lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It isn't written anywhere, this is conjecture considering Ford hasn't said.
Sponsored