Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach E AWD
Country flag
Well considering too that this isn't just some minor inconvenience, when it happens to people, it is bricking their very expensive cars. I think it would be something worth being aware of and doing what is necessary to get resolved as quickly as possible. It isn't confidence inspiring in a product when the issue is happening and there is an echo chamber of people guessing at what the cause might be and there seems to be radio silence from the manufacturer's end. I hope that ends soon, and we can all put this behind us.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
what would be considered a “high load”?
Someone posted the spec sheet for the relay. If they are working as intended they can switch 24V for 100,000 cycles so about 100 years. However if you switch 400V you are down to 10’s of cycles. Probably some heated discussions going on between supplier and Ford.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I have HVBJB anxiety and I am waiting to hear Ford's official response on the matter. I understand that cars can have defects and all brands issue recalls. How Ford handles it will probably determine if I will stay with the brand or never buy another one (this is my 4th Ford).

I will be satisfied with a fix that:
  • does not add more restrictions on GT's power (it is already restricted for a 480hp car)
  • does not slow down DCFC (it is already slow compared to the new competition)
  • If software update is required, then ideally it can be done OTA with high success rate.
  • Fixing all existing cars should not take longer than a few months. That means replacements parts (if needed) should be in stock and dealers are instructed to prioritize this fix, are adequately trained, have all required tools, etc. In other words, don't make it another glass recall..

Last edited:

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The problem is that you work for an industry that doesn't have the same legal requirements and you're attempting to compare the two.
I'm not. You did that 😊

I just don't think you're gonna have much success.
It cost me a minute. No big deal.

Todd, here is the thing. I'm not trying to be confrontational. You might be too involved to see some patterns. Ford just absolutely SUCK at communicating. This particular issue might require secrecy, but if they communicated like a decent company, they would get more grace from me (and others).

It's all good, I'm not upset at all. And once again, thank you for everything and many others do for this community.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I will respectfully disagree. Musk does it all the time. And Jim copies Tesla in everything.
Soooo many important things start in social media. Have you lived under a rock for the past 3 years? lol
So this response and your others have mitigated my initial negative impression. Good job, and no, I don't suspect you care what I think, and nor should you ;) Yes Musk runs his mouth, and yes Jim seems to have quite a bit of admiration for the guy. Frankly, its hard not too. He is hugely successful despite of, or more like because of, his personality disorders.

Social media is the friggin' scourge of society, and we would all be better off if it went away. 100+ year old companies should be cut some slack concerning that. Red tape and all.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I have HVBJB anxiety and I am waiting to hear Ford's official response on the matter. I understand that cars can have defects and all brands issue recalls. How Ford handles it will probably determine if I will stay with the brand or never buy another one (this is my 4th Ford).

I will be satisfied with a fix that:
  • does not add more restrictions on GT's power (it is already restricted for a 480hp car)
  • does not slow down DCFC (it is already slow compared to the new competition)
  • Fixing all existing cars should not take longer than a few months. That means replacements parts (if needed) should be in stock and dealers are instructed to prioritize this fix, be adequately trained, have all required tools, etc. In other words, don't make it another glass recall..
Yeah I really hope this doesn’t involve dealers having to lower packs, but I feel like that will probably be the case.

that said, I’d rather packs be lowered than all the interior trim removed haha

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Yeah I really hope this doesn’t involve dealers having to lower packs, but I feel like that will probably be the case.

They will probably have to drop the pack to replace the HVBJB (if that is the fix) which is ok assuming they can do it in 1-2 days, without breaking the battery cover, without dropping the car from the lift etc etc

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
And that's never gotten him into trouble, right?
No, it didn't. His stock price always went up and the SEC was never really able to catch him.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag

I'm afraid of a MAJOR engineering fix.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
They will probably have to drop the pack to replace the HVBJB (if that is the fix) which is ok assuming they can do it in 1-2 days, without breaking the battery cover, without dropping the car from the lift etc etc
Yeah I mean we’ve got techs who can barely do FDRS updates or read instructions.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
One thing I am going to start doing: let the car cool for a couple hours after a long drive before starting a L2 charge. That is what Ford recommends, and I have not been doing that.

Right now, I am not planning to change any other behavior.

I drive my car plenty hard, no problem.

I typically charge L2 (at 32amps) with ford mobile charger overnight on the nights I need to charge which is maybe 1x week, or the night before I know I have a long day trip. No problem.

I typically use a/c and cabin heat 'occasionally', and turn it all of when I park so it doesn't all come on at the same time when I start the car back up. no problem.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I can now report that the HVBJB has been superseded by a new version because it's available on parts websites throughout the internet.

The old part number was: LJ9Z10C666A
The new part number is: NK4Z10C666B

I can't say much more at this point, but since that's public I can point that out.

Last edited:

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I can now report that the HVBJB has been superseded by a new version because it's available on parts websites throughout the internet.

The old part number was: LJ9Z10C666A
The new part number is: NK4Z10C666B

I'm not sure that I can say much more at this point, but since that's public I can point that out.
Brilliant post! Really, thx for the whole post. And this very telling fact. I think when you ventured to guess the odds of the failure are less than 1% that many people panicking here took that to mean exactly 1%. If the car dies, tow it and get it fixed. Like any other car. It is just a car in the end. If this were happening to 1% of all MME's, there'd be a NHTSA review and a recall in a heartbeat I'd guess. 1 in 100? No way. Less than 1%. Way less. (1 in 1,000, 1 in 10,000?) This is the "complaint" forum, not the average user forum. The opposite of a random sample. Happily driving my first edition '21 built 12/20 at about 30k miles so far. Occasionally quite a few weekend long trips with only DC fast charging. 120 mile daily commute. Regular 75mph on the freeway.
Sponsored

Last edited: