Use comma.ai panda for FDRS

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Blazer EV RS (reserved)
Country flag
There is a company named Comma.ai that is best known for OpenPilot, an open source advanced driver assistance system that can be installed on a car (assuming it already has some pre-requisite hardware). One other thing that they make is the Red Panda, an open source car interface. They have a J2534 driver for the Panda available at https://github.com/commaai/panda/tree/master/drivers/windows, and as far as I know, support for J2534 is what is needed for FDRS to function.

Does this seem like a viable interface for using FDRS? If so, this is about half the price of the Mongoose J2534 cable ($300 vs $540) and could cut a significant portion off the cost of getting into using FDRS.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
In theory any J2534 device should work, but in practice there can be small bugs and glitches that cause problems. The adapter speed is also a consideration, usually the cheaper devices aren't fast enough or have poor timing consistency which can cause problems. Mongoose has been well tested so few problems with it. It would be great if someone could try the panda and report if it works.

OP
OP
cryptk

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a professional background in programming, so the open-source nature of the project and potentially needing to compile the driver/firmware myself isn't an issue. I would be willing to get one and try it out, now I just need to find a power supply that can be used that doesn't cost $500. Let me know if you have any recommendations for power supplies!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
OP
OP
cryptk

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have a professional background in programming, so the open-source nature of the project and potentially needing to compile the driver/firmware myself isn't an issue. I would be willing to get one and try it out, now I just need to find a power supply that can be used that doesn't cost $500. Let me know if you have any recommendations for power supplies!
I run dual Clore PL2320 chargers, that was the cheapest option for me. You need something that outputs at least 35 amps. GTs use the full 40A.

OP
OP
cryptk

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I run dual Clore PL2320 chargers, that was the cheapest option for me. You need something that outputs at least 35 amps. GTs use the full 40A.
Very nice, I hadn't thought of running two smaller chargers in parallel yet... Looks like that would run about $200 for the power supplies if I buy them new. That's much easier to swallow than $500 for the big bench top 50 amp supply that I see used a lot.

If the panda ends up working out, that means that people could get into using FDRS for about the same price as just the Mongoose cable. I have found mention that FDRS relies on some of the optional features from the J2534-2 spec, and I have similarly found references to many J2534-2 features in the panda firmware code, so I am pretty hopeful.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I also used two Clore PL2320. I got two for $90 each. I used them to install Blue Cruise on my job 1 Mach E using a borrowed Mongoose cable, and they worked perfectly.

My only complaint is that the “power supply” indicator light on PL2320 is barely visible during day time.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If the panda ends up working out, that means that people could get into using FDRS for about the same price as just the Mongoose cable. I have found mention that FDRS relies on some of the optional features from the J2534-2 spec, and I have similarly found references to many J2534-2 features in the panda firmware code, so I am pretty hopeful.
I would also like to see more people volunteer to do updates in their region, so everyone doesn't have to buy this stuff independently. If you already bought all the equipment and you're interested in doing FDRS updates for others, please add your name to this topic:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/fdrs-update-service-providers-by-region-🗺.24443/

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
It's interesting they reference downloading the Drewtech bus analysis tool to verify that your device works. Drewtech makes the OPUS if I remember correctly. Anyway, I've ordered one and will see if I can get FDRS to work with it.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Yes, I am very familiar with that thread, was there something specific in it that you wanted to draw my attention to?
You can use another vehicle connected up via cables. You're fine with anything above 10.5 volts (technically 10v, things start going to sleep below that). Once it gets to 10.5v, connect up another vehicle and charge it back up as needed.

You could also rig up a PC power supply if you have one laying around. Best use a diode, they don't take kindly to being back-fed.

Last edited:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I have the equipment.
I just have to bite the bullet and pay the $850/year license subscription...
Someone not using their license may log in for ya via a remote control app -- takes about 2 days to time out.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It's interesting they reference downloading the Drewtech bus analysis tool to verify that your device works. Drewtech makes the OPUS if I remember correctly. Anyway, I've ordered one and will see if I can get FDRS to work with it.
Mike, you’re an animal! 😊🐩
Sponsored