Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Because after 18 months I still look for any excuse to drive it. Groceries, I'm gone, maple syrup 2hrs away, no prob.

The only vehicle that was this all around fun was my C3 Vette, but that had no cargo space, broke down weekly and got 8mpg on premium.

I would have been happy with a Y, but not this happy.
Sponsored

Schmedlack

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Escape S 1925 Ford Tudor (2-door)
Occupation
Trader
I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts on why they chose a Mach-E over a Tesla…

Personally I think Tesla got a lot of things right minus the styling & design. I think they’re bland/boring and everyone and their mother has one.

Why did you buy a Mach-E?
Easy...... My car was reserved as soon as the Mach-E was introduced in a YouTube presentation back in late 2019. At that time there was a possiblity that Tesla would go out of business. Mr. E even said as much. The risk of no Tesla parts, service and software upgrades made the Mach-E a sensable choice at that time. I like my Ford dealer and I knew they would treat me right, to boot. (And they did, too).

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts on why they chose a Mach-E over a Tesla…

Personally I think Tesla got a lot of things right minus the styling & design. I think they’re bland/boring and everyone and their mother has one.

Why did you buy a Mach-E?
- local dealership sales & service center
- don't really trust Elon not to hide & not to fix mechanical flaws
- somewhat concerned about long term success of a company run/controlled by an individual with questionable ethics and direction.

what I am CONCERNED about is:
- Ford's continued lack of expertise in OTA software updates
- Ford's lame handling of what I think should be actual Recalls of mechanical parts needing physical remove/replace. Once a problem with a part is known, and a solution exists, I want the ability to schedule a trip to the Dealership when parts and service is available and get 'er done in one trip without arguments, delay, and multiple trips to dealer to 'prove' I have the problem. I expected some mechanicals in first year design, but I also expected better response/recall/repair process.
- overheating giant center screen failing - handled so far w replacement​
- windshield recall - wasn't ever a problem for me, but had a proper recall​
- front camera damaged by windshield recall - handled by re-setting the video co-ax myself​
- HVBJB - grudgingly handled by Ford after verification of DTC thrown​
- front half-shafts - not handled yet​

Last edited:

Tha_Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One that shall not be named
Country flag
in order of most to least important, some of which no longer apply
  1. musk's control of the company is an ethical risk to me, which is a personal opinion. however, it is also objectively a business risk when one person (particularly one of this personality) has so much control. it risks the brand's reputation, long term viability, etc for a company that has not stood the test of time in the first place
  2. no carplay/android auto
  3. build quality concerns. i'm told this has gotten better, though i'm still not a fan of the touch and feel, maybe gets into #5
  4. no dash display and the only screen is horizontal which i believe is the wrong orientation
  5. design is not my style, not only aesthetically but often different from ICE for virtually no reason. i wanted to be able to switch back and forth between ICE and EV with ease and not get into an accident because i forgot which one i was in
  6. mach e was cheaper than model y [retrospect: i think this is no longer true at the current rebate situation, i bought in 2021 where the y cost 10k-15k more]
  7. servicing concerns (proximity of servicing centers, lack of appointment availability). [retrospect: my experience w/ ford servicing has been extremely poor. tons of dealers but all the ones near me are shady and inexperienced. with full hindsight i would not consider this an advantage for ford anymore]
overall i'd strongly consider the tesla Y if i were shopping today with full knowledge of what i know now. i don't think it'd pay extra $ for the mach e based on any of the above, so would have to make the economics work
I think #6 is a huge factor overall.

Price is a huge motivator. Most people think the MME looks better, but how much more are you willing to spend for that?

When the MME was cheaper... Practically a slam dunk.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Oh yeah... One more thing: I look good chilling in the MME's frunk. 😎🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why Mach-E over Tesla & Others IMG_3165

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Lightning EV truck.

'22 Lightning driven for 1 year and perfect since day 1.

Just traded her in last month for the '23 MME and love it!

Best EVs on the road IMO.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
For me it was purely aesthetics. I think the model X looks okay, but it is just too pricey for what it is. All the other models look like an egg or an amusement park ride and are just so damn ugly. I was also slightly worried about quality. The tech was very temping though and I had to tell myself to get off the order page many times.

Side note: I find it hilarious all the anti-Elon comments because if you would have asked that 3 years ago they would be salivating at his feet. Bunch of Whoopi Goldberg's selling their once beloved Tesla because Elon isn't a sheep. Little reminder, if it wasn't for Elon we most probably wouldn't even have a MachE and you'd still be purchasing ICE vehicles or a Prius.

Burwinkle

First Name
Burwinkle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
I bought my 2023 MME in June and the main reasons for choosing it over the Tesla Y is (a) the Tesla seemed boring, and (b) Elon Musk being so... Elon Musky.

The other competitors for me were the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and 6 which were just not available, and the VW id.4 which is boring and has too low of a range.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I grossly underestimated the importance of software in an EV and how difficult for legacy OEMs to catch up to the startups. Knowing what I know now, I would have made a different decision. Oh, and I hate that asshole too, but not enough to pay 10k to a slightly less egoistic ceo.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Side note: I find it hilarious all the anti-Elon comments because if you would have asked that 3 years ago they would be salivating at his feet. Bunch of Whoopi Goldberg's selling their once beloved Tesla because Elon isn't a sheep. Little reminder, if it wasn't for Elon we most probably wouldn't even have a MachE and you'd still be purchasing ICE vehicles or a Prius.
I did adore my Prius. Still do, but at 13 years and almost 200,000 miles, it is probably better suited to be a project car than my daily driver. Tesla has played a significant role in shaping what we have for EVs today, but no, I didn't like Elon Musk 3 years ago. That's early in the pandemic. He was loudly saying stupid nonsense that probably got people killed. As a healthcare worker, I don't take kindly to people making my job harder.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I think the model X looks okay, but it is just too pricey for what it is. All the other models look like an egg
Surely you mean Model S? I always thought the S was a nice-looking car. The Model X is the eggiest of them all!

I find it hilarious all the anti-Elon comments because if you would have asked that 3 years ago they would be salivating at his feet.
I agree, many former groupies have changed their tune in hilarious fashion. But as for myself, I am proud to say I have considered Musk a liar and a fraud since 2015, shortly after I became aware of him and Tesla.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
  1. It outperformed every other EV I tested, in every axis of concern for me.
  2. It's a Mustang.
  3. And, since you asked, Tesla was never an option. I was interested in the company way back in 2003, but as soon as musk became CEO, it became a non-option and I stayed with hybrids for the next almost 20 years until the Mustang was announced. You couldn't pay me to drive one.
Sponsored