Why mixed reviews on Mach-E suspension?

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
My build date is Sept 12. Premium, extended range. I had been looking for suspension reviews for quite a long and see mixed opinions.

It's a big deal for us. We like soft/smooth suspension. Like a Lexus rx.

Some say suspension is pillowe, some say it is pretty hard. Why this much gap.
Sponsored

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My build date is Sept 12. Premium, extended range. I had been looking for suspension reviews for quite a long and see mixed opinions.

All I can say is to go drive one around. Definitely want to log a few test drives before your car arrives so there are no surprises.

OP
OP
kkgg

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
All I can say is to go drive one around. Definitely want to log a few test drives before your car arrives so there are no surprises.
Yeah, I will do that. But I don't think I can judge with a test drive. Will see. Thanks

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

If you want something like riding on clouds... get an ID.4 or Ioniq 5.

The MME has a sportier suspension but it's not overly firm.

EDIT: My opinion of an EV riding on clouds have changed... F-150 Lightning and the BMW iX with air suspension are the best EVs I've experienced first hand.

Last edited:

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

You highlight the problem when you say youā€™re looking for/like a Lexus RX type ride. Youā€™re likely to be disappointed.

The Mach E was called a Mustang because the ride/drive engineers actually gave it Mustang dna in regards to suspension tuning. It has a fairly stiff ride because of this and it also doesnā€™t have much body roll in corners. Itā€™s tuned for driving enjoyment more so than isolation from road imperfections.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I have the Premium ER. I wouldn't say it's hard or firm. Bit it is a bit bouncy over big bumps or potholes.

It doesn't bother me too much. But it depends on the car you're coming from and your tolerance for motion sickness.

Definitely not Lexus smooth.

A lot softer and forgiving/softer than Teslas (and my RAV4).

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah, I will do that. But I don't think I can judge with a test drive. Will see. Thanks
I'd trust your feelings behind the wheel more than my subjective opinion on the matter. For me, it was a better ride than the Model Y and ID.4, not as smooth as the EV6. I drove a 20+ year old car before this though which rode like two rocks taped together. Hardly a Lexus.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think something wrong in quality control on the production line. One car can be good but another can be lemon with many other issues.
We also like soft smooth ride, we both hated our premium suspension. With GT trim I almost fine but my wife still hates how the car feels on the road.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
The suspension of my MME Premium AWD is stiff. The XL tires at 40# donā€™t help make for a soft ride. You get used to it and itā€™s fine on the highway.

Eatchu

First Name
S.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity, Ford Mustang Mach-E (on order)
Country flag
I have the Premium ER. I wouldn't say it's hard or firm. Bit it is a bit bouncy over big bumps or potholes.

It doesn't bother me too much. But it depends on the car you're coming from and your tolerance for motion sickness.

Definitely not Lexus smooth.

A lot softer and forgiving/softer than Teslas (and my RAV4).
yeah I agree itā€™s not that itā€™s soft or firm, itā€™s the bounciness that people complain about around here. It took me a month to get used to it. Lowering the tire pressure to 37PSI cold helped , just a little. Maybe when the time comes for a new set of tires Iā€™m downgrading to 18ā€ wheels to get more sidewalls.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It is definitely smoother than a lot of cars on the market, I could not say the Mach-E is stiff. I understand this is subjective, but if we are talking about cars in general, I donā€™t see how the Mach-E falls in the stiff bucket.

That being said, itā€™s also not like a lot of luxury rides where you totally donā€™t feel what is going on in the road. You do feel it, and some people say you keep feeling it long after you should šŸ˜‚ - the bounciness complaints.

Lexus has one of the smoothest rides on the market though. You will find you either didnā€™t need/want a ride as smooth as you thought with your Lexus and actually enjoy a sportier tune or you will be disappointed. This isnā€™t a Lincoln EV after all.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Our Premium AWD ER is stiff and itā€™s particularly noticeable at slower speeds. Itā€™s tough on bad roads. I think the stiff suspension and somewhat high seating position result in you getting jostled around on uneven roads. On smooth roads itā€™s really nice though. Very quiet and smooth, with a low center of gravity that helps to minimize body roll around turns. But if youā€™re looking for a car that just soaks up the bumps, this isnā€™t it.

Btw, I see the term ā€œbouncyā€ being used all the time. To me that implies something that I donā€™t experience. To me the car feels stiff and unforgiving. I actually donā€™t mind it terribly unless itā€™s a really bad road.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
It's nothing like a lexus RX, specially if the RX is older model, no way it will compete.
I have GT, it's bumpy, bouncy and not that comfortable.
Sponsored