Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E premium AWD, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Occupation
Energy
Country flag
I just recently purchased a Mach e and I'm wondering why would anyone buy a charger like the grizz-le or FLO or any of them for that matter. Why not just get a 220V plug installed. It makes no sense to me to spend that money. Please enlighten me on why.
Sponsored

tmblue

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Audi Q5, 1986 IROCZ, Mach-E
Country flag
Are you citing the charger doesn't improve charging times over a standard 220V socket? I'd also suspect that the charger has some intelligence built in, where as the 220V def does not.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I agree in theory. I'd wager that for 90% of us, we sleep long enough at home each night for the included 240V cord to replenish our daily driving from a 14-50 outlet without the need for a fancy EVSE. They're nice though, they have apps and stuff.

Now I'm just using 120V, but if I was to upgrade, it'd be to a 14-50 outlet and the included adapter.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
If you have a 14-50 receptacle connected to a 50A breaker, the included charger should give you 40A usable. A hard-wired charger on a 60A breaker will only improve that by 8A. If you don't care about a wi-fi connection, that should be sufficient.

OP
OP

glaudeja

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E premium AWD, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Occupation
Energy
Country flag
I agree in theory. I'd wager that for 90% of us, we sleep long enough at home each night for the included 240V cord to replenish our daily driving from a 14-50 outlet without the need for a fancy EVSE. They're nice though, they have apps and stuff.

Now I'm just using 120V, but if I was to upgrade, it'd be to a 14-50 outlet and the included adapter.
LOL Ok, so it's literally a waste and no real advantage. That's great to know.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
LOL Ok, so it's literally a waste and no real advantage. That's great to know.
It depends on your situation. If your utility pays you to buy one, like many do, why not take their money?

But for someone like me who isn't on a Time of Use rate plan, there's literally no point.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
If you have a 14-50 receptacle connected to a 50A breaker, the included charger should give you 40A usable. A hard-wired charger on a 60A breaker will only improve that by 8A. If you don't care about a wi-fi connection, that should be sufficient.
The included charger is 32 amp max. I use it, and didn't buy a separate one.

Eosin

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
I personally will likely never purchase a separate charger. I have a 50 amp 240v outlet in my garage. The benefit of buying a charger is minimal for me.

Screenshot_20210324-150854~2.jpg

Reactions: UW2

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I just recently purchased a Mach e and I'm wondering why would anyone buy a charger like the grizz-le or FLO or any of them for that matter. Why not just get a 220V plug installed. It makes no sense to me to spend that money. Please enlighten me on why.
Personal preference. Some are more than happy with the mobile charger. Others want to keep the mobile charger in the car and rely on a fixed unit. To each their own.

Personally, I like the set up of a fixed charger and holster along with the additional features it provides me (e.g., reviewing charging status via app or web).

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
There are many posts on this exact question. Here are a few of them.. but essentially if you care about any of these reasons: to leave the one that comes with the car in the trunk to keep with you at all times for emergencies. Because there are tax credit incentives. Because it charges faster. etc.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/highest-amps-for-plug-in-wall-charger.2843/post-136523
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ask-an-electrical-engineer.4307/post-133684
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...aration-and-installing-charger.610/post-87891

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
How about 3?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Why would you by a charger? evse1s

To be fair: I only paid full price for one. Another was paid for via tax credits and the third was won in a contest and all were aquired way back in 2013.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I use the standard plug, but i'm surprised no one mentioned you can use an actual charger to monitor how much your car is costing you in electricity.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Isn't it weird that Ford provided a 48A charge 11 kW charge option? (Because you do not need it!)

I maxed mine out chargepoint flex 48A hardwired. Why, because it was fun and I could. Terrible? Why. I didn't NEED a MME 4X either, but I'm glad I got one! (plus, it was a fun pandemic project)

I have another 32A chargepoint on another wall on another circuit from past EVs, so don't need the option to plug something else into an outlet. (I installed an outlet for that one some years back)

I totally agree that for most 32A is fine, and a 240 outlet is a really good approach for most.

I just don't get the draconian opposition to 40A or 48A?

Reminds me of Gen 1 Volt, right after the forum figured out that you could make a $30 adapter to run the OEM cord at 240V 12A, why would anyone install a 16A wall charge station? What a total waste of money!

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I purchased an EVSE (40A, 9.6kW) when I purchased my Volt. It only went 53 miles on a charge, which was more than my daily round trip commute, so in order to ensure full charge by next commute with additional use added in between, I installed the EVSE. It was more than adequate for the Volt and my subsequent Bolt (7.2kW charger) purchase.
I am certain it will suffice for the MMe (11kW charger).
I do not utilize the EVSE that often now. I am retired now and I do as much of my charging off my solar system as possible, which means 120V slow charging. We rotate our EVs in order to utilize (daylight) solar production.
I will not ever purchase an EV tank, but I might consider a van should one ever be produced. I think my EVSE should be adequate for the extra electron usage with a heavier vehicle.
It is all relative. Should you drive less than 100 miles/day you should be able to get by w/o an EVSE.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
If I'd had a 14-50 outlet handy, I might have just gone with the mobile charger. My garage has a 6-50 socket, which is obviously incompatible with the included charger. I was either going to have to spend money to change that socket to 14-50, or just buy and install the Grizzl-e that can work with a 6-50 plug out of the box. I decided to do the 2nd because:
  1. Better charging speed
  2. Home improvement - I suspect mounted EVSEs will be a good selling point
  3. Not having to remember to pack the included 14-50 cable every time we go on a road trip
  4. It was frankly the lowest-effort decision available
At the end of the day it was only about $400 all-in (I opted for the upgraded cable insulation and length), and about 45 minutes of work to mount and install. I like that it's a permanent fixture in the garage, it just feels like it'll hold up better with daily use through all seasons.
Sponsored