TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just wanted to leave the mobile charger in the car, just in case I ever needed it away from home. I knew if I used it as my regular charger at home, I wouldn't bother moving it back to the car all the time.

Plus the Grizzl-E is more heavy duty and should last longer.

Plus the 30% federal (US) tax credit was set to expire last year (although has since been extended). Looked like an opportunity to get a deal.
Sponsored

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Having the mobile charger in the car is like having a spare tire in the car.

You may never need it, but that one time you do you'll be thankful you have it.

Since the mobile charger can work on both 120V and 240V you're covered for any situation. If you're stuck for a charge at someone's house and they have a dryer plug? or an emergency stop at a campground (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/campground-charging-as-a-last-resort.1403/).
Ok then - why just not to buy another Level 2 charger and use it with your 240v? It might cost less than $200 (maybe even Fed's 30% tax rebate?). And then you can have Ford's mobile in your car? Why go with spending $1000+ for the charger and the complex installation?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ok then - why just not to buy another Level 2 charger and use it with your 240v? It might cost less than $200 (maybe even Fed's 30% tax rebate?). And then you can have Ford's mobile in your car? Why go with spending $1000+ for the charger and the complex installation?
I think there might be a misunderstanding -
1. Ford's Mobile charger is essentially free, (included), so that's the emergency / backup one that's staying in the car.
2. I did buy a 240V EVSE and that remains permanently in the garage, ready to charge every time I come home. But I didn't spend thousands... I spent a few hundred. And it charges faster than the mobile one.

The Mobile one will be useful when I travel to areas around PA which have "EV Charging stations" at some parks and hotels that are simply a 120v or 240v outlet, no charger. There are very few EA chargers in PA. I'm not lugging a Grizzl-E charger with me to use those outlets. I'm keeping the mobile in, which has the flexibility of using either 120v or 240v depending on what I encounter.

Plus, it remains in the car all the time, and fits under the rear luggage compartment. I'll never forget it.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You can do that; nothing stopping you from doing that.

The $1000+ is usually for 240V wiring where there isn't any. Just about everyone's situation is different.

In my case I had to get 240V wired to the garage but the power company had a $2500 rebate at the time. Total cost $2600 but I only paid $100 for the whole thing.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think there might be a misunderstanding -
1. Ford's Mobile charger is essentially free, (included), so that's the emergency / backup one that's staying in the car.
2. I did buy a 240V EVSE and that remains permanently in the garage, ready to charge every time I come home. But I didn't spend thousands... I spent a few hundred. And it charges faster than the mobile one.

The Mobile one will be useful when I travel to areas around PA which have "EV Charging stations" at some parks and hotels that are simply a 120v or 240v outlet, no charger. There are very few EA chargers in PA. I'm not lugging a Grizzl-E charger with me to use those outlets. I'm keeping the mobile in, which has the flexibility of using either 120v or 240v depending on what I encounter.

Plus, it remains in the car all the time, and fits under the rear luggage compartment. I'll never forget it.
Ok, I think I got it - you mean you bought that ~$400-500 Grizzl-E and use it with your existing (or much easier installed than the most advanced, 48A one) 240v 50A configuration?

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
My additional L2 charger cost $400 and took me 45 minutes to install. I did it myself with tools I already owned. It's not that hard.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ok, I think I got it - you mean you bought that ~$400-500 Grizzl-E and use it with your existing (or much easier installed than the most advanced, 48A one) 240v 50A configuration?
Yes exactly, I DIY'd an outlet for $50, and the Grizzl-E was $400. After the rebate, my total was like $300.
If it's a really complex install... maybe I'd forgo the Grizzl-e for now, and just use the mobile until later. But I'd really still want to have a standalone EVSE in the garage. It's more convenient.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Another factor... The included charger is a fixed 32A (7.6 kW). Sometimes it's advantageous to dial that higher or lower.

I just dialed mine down to 24A to reduce my demand charge peak each month from my power company. Might even go down another notch.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Others have mostly covered it. For me:
  1. Plugging and unplugging into a 240V will wear the outlet to the point where it stops working eventually; they're not designed for that.
  2. So I can leave the mobile charger in the car at all times without needing to worry about forgetting it on a trip, or needing it in an emergency.
  3. Higher amperage EVSE's charge faster. If I get home late and need to leave again in a couple hours on a long trip, every additional amp matters.
  4. 30% off Tax credit.
  5. I DIY'd the whole thing for $450 including the Grizzl-e and the NEMA 14-50 outlet install, and then that came down to like $300 after the tax credit.
This is the perfect reply

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I just don't get the draconian opposition to 40A or 48A?
I also don't get draconian opposition to "smart" chargers like ChargePoint, or placing the charger in a most convenient spot. As I see it, I dropped 60K on the car. A few hundred for the charger is almost a rounding error. Others may feel that 48A charger is overkill, and they are probably right.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My additional L2 charger cost $400 and took me 45 minutes to install. I did it myself with tools I already owned. It's not that hard.
Yep... If you have 240v socket already working or if you at least have 200A+ for your household. If you have 100A total for example, then you are looking for a much bigger expense because you will have to use 3rd party professional.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The simple answer here. Just like anything else we do in life. The charger that comes with the mache will work for about 90% or even more. You don't need a faster charger unless you're really pushing the car all the time and driving it down to 0%.

I was going to buy one but didn't. Then I got the ford wall charger. Still in the box not hooked up. Why? I don't need it. The one ford gave me does all I need right now. You know what is more useful though. Don't spend 400 to 800 on a wall charger and get a tesla tap. Let's you use tesla level 2 chargers with your mache all over. That will more useful I feel.

A lot of people have one installed to keep the ford one in the car for travel. Can you unplug it and put it back in the car when done? YES. but this is America and you can also get up and turn tv channels, but man we love our remote right lol.