Why would you by a charger?

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
While all tax breaks/credits are subject to interpretation if ever audited, pretty sure a 240V circuit being installed explicitly for EV charging use would still count for the federal tax credit, even if using the included Ford Mobile Charger.

Probably couldn't get away with trying to apply the credit to the included charger itself (since it's imbedded in the price of the car and can't be readily separated), but the circuit should be acceptable. It meets the intent of the credit, since you really are buying a charger and installing the circuit for it. At least that's how I interpret it. I'd certainly claim the credit in that situation (for the electrical work).
I purchased webcasting charging system. 240v with a 30amp circuit. Suppose to be more electric bill friendly. Yes, should be used as tax credit. I love my Mach E, EV!

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
I purchased webcasting charging system. 240v with a 30amp circuit. Suppose to be more electric bill friendly. Yes, should be used as tax credit. I love my Mach E, EV!
Apologize for miss spelled product. It’s webasto charging system. Recommended by Ford and my electrician told me it won’t suck your bill like a 220. Like the one Ford gives you. It also charges your car in the same amount of time.

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by this.
I was speaking with Ford customer service along the way while waiting for EV Mach E. Since it’s my first electric vehicle, I wanted more understanding of what I getting into. On some good advise from Ford, I have the webasto turbo 240v charger. This only required a 20amp in service box. The outlet plug required a NEMA 6-20R. The prongs are much smaller. This charger will fully charge my car in less time and be easier on my electric bill. On another note... my crash sensor has gone off 3 times when I was in NO danger of a crash. I know that this car has lots of sensors around the car. In one case I was at a 25mph in a town! There were parked cars on the side, maybe it just picked something up? Others were when I slowed down when a car in front of me was making a turn. I was wonder if anyone else has experienced this or if I should have it checked.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I was speaking with Ford customer service along the way while waiting for EV Mach E. Since it’s my first electric vehicle, I wanted more understanding of what I getting into. On some good advise from Ford, I have the webasto turbo 240v charger. This only required a 20amp in service box. The outlet plug required a NEMA 6-20R. The prongs are much smaller. This charger will fully charge my car in less time and be easier on my electric bill.
I think you've been misinformed. A 20A circuit will only safely handle a 16A load, which means you're charging at half the speed the included Ford Mobile charger is capable of providing and 1/3 the speed the car is capable of accepting. It will not be easier on your electric bill. You pay for electricity by the kWh, not the amount of time it takes to charge.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I think you've been misinformed. A 20A circuit will only safely handle a 16A load, which means you're charging at half the speed the included Ford Mobile charger is capable of providing and 1/3 the speed the car is capable of accepting. It will not be easier on your electric bill. You pay for electricity by the kWh, not the amount of time it takes to charge.
Minor caveat: some utilities also charge a demand charge, which IS based on how much current your house pulls at its peak. So, in that case, you're paying by the kW, not the kWh. a lower amperage at the same voltage will result in a lower kW demand charge. SuzzyQ should investigate whether that applies in her area.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Minor caveat: some utilities also charge a demand charge, which IS based on how much current your house pulls at its peak. So, in that case, you're paying by the kW, not the kWh. a lower amperage at the same voltage will result in a lower kW demand charge. SuzzyQ should investigate whether that applies in her area.
Yeah, I was going to mention that, but didn't want to confuse the issue since demand charges are very rare for residential accounts. If we really want to dig into this, we could also mention that a faster charge could be cheaper if it means that all charging could complete in a cheaper TOU window. But I'm just gong with keeping it simple.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Yeah, I was going to mention that, but didn't want to confuse the issue since demand charges are very rare for residential accounts.
I guess I'll just consider myself "lucky."

:(

Fortunately, the local power utility is doing a time of use trial that should be helpful if I only charge overnight.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I had a ChargePoint HomeFlex installed because:

(1) I had no pre-existing 240v outlet;

(2) 120v is more inefficient (meaning wasted energy) than a 240v setup, and I also had no good 120v outlet based on where I wanted to park my Mach-E so some electrical work was going to be necessary no matter what;

(3) My utility offered a $500 rebate for installation of a smart charger, though only $300 for a dumb charger, which made getting the more expensive ChargePoint HomeFlex competitive with a lot of the more basic chargers - my hope here is that the ChargePoint is also a more premium product due to overall higher price in terms of build quality and the like aside from the smart management capability, but don’t really know if this is the case; and

(4) EVs seem to be the future, and I will likely want the ability to charge electric vehicles beyond in the Mach-E at some point so figured I would get the electrical work done now. The ChargePoint I don’t expect to last forever (though at least a very, very long time), but I do expect the electrical work to practically be something I never have to deal with again, not in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years if I end up staying in this house that long.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
I just recently purchased a Mach e and I'm wondering why would anyone buy a charger like the grizz-le or FLO or any of them for that matter. Why not just get a 220V plug installed. It makes no sense to me to spend that money. Please enlighten me on why.
1. Convenience; not having to use my supplied portable plug in and out of my garage. Even with the best preparation where I live it could just end up a dirty or bothersome task to gather and store a ~25 foot cable every time I come and go.
2. Availability; just so happens a brand new in box unit was available on Craigslist near me and greatly discounted.
3. Location; I already have an outlet that the Ford plug could use. But, the location isn’t completely practical, I would be switching stalls with my wife whenever I wanted to charge. I prefer to be plugged in whenever it’s parked. I was able to install the box unit (hardwire) directly next to my stall on its own dedicated service.
4. Options; I prefer not be in a position where I only have 1 process or ability to charge this car, I’ve never owned an EV. So, I figure I’m buying either an extra portable cable or box unit. Price and availability determined that.
5. Impulse; ?

I understand the position, my work asked me about charging because they are going to install some
charging locations. I just recommended that they install 14-50 receptacles each with their own dedicated 60 amp service.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I was going to mention that, but didn't want to confuse the issue since demand charges are very rare for residential accounts. If we really want to dig into this, we could also mention that a faster charge could be cheaper if it means that all charging could complete in a cheaper TOU window. But I'm just gong with keeping it simple.
It really just depends on their situation. For some the 16A EVSE will be better, for others something bigger will be. Lots of factors to consider. Including what wiring they might already have available in the garage. Sounds like they may have a reason for a 20A circuit being more advantageous.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It really just depends on their situation. For some the 16A EVSE will be better, for others something bigger will be. Lots of factors to consider. Including what wiring they might already have available in the garage. Sounds like they may have a reason for a 20A circuit being more advantageous.
Yes, there could be real reasons. But this statement leads me to believe that there weren't in this particular case:

Recommended by Ford and my electrician told me it won’t suck your bill like a 220. Like the one Ford gives you. It also charges your car in the same amount of time.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
My folks have a Model 3 Tesla and had an old air compressor 20 AMP 240V circuit in the garage right there so my dad just used that and set the car to only draw 16 AMPS. They're retired and rarely need much of a charge.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Ok then - why just not to buy another Level 2 charger and use it with your 240v? It might cost less than $200
I'm not aware of any UL-certified 240V/32A EVSE that cost under $400. A reputable 240V/16A EVSE cost more than $300.
Sponsored