AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Any other AWD owners hear motor whine while driving?

From a stop I hear a whining noise (not from a screen) that increases in pitch while accelerating. Then while decelerating I hear it decreasing in pitch until I come to a stop.

I thought it was since I had AWD I was hearing the front motors. But I drove a loaner car for a few days that was also AWD and didn't hear it in that one.

I had a Volt, and while running on battery it was whisper quiet.

Curious if others are hearing the same, and is expected, or should report it to the dealer.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I haven’t noticed anything like that in mine. I’d report it.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag

From a stop I hear a whining noise (not from a screen) that increases in pitch while accelerating. Then while decelerating I hear it decreasing in pitch until I come to a stop.

I thought it was since I had AWD I was hearing the front motors. But I drove a loaner car for a few days that was also AWD and didn't hear it in that one.

Curious if others are hearing the same, and is expected, or should report it to the dealer.
Try to turn propulsion sound off - my wife was also "complaining" - turned out to be the artificially generated sound on... :)

OP
OP

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Try to turn propulsion sound off - my wife was also "complaining" - turned out to be the artificially generated sound on... :)
Propulsion sound is off. Unless it’s saying it’s off but still on??

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Propulsion sound is off. Unless it’s saying it’s off but still on??
In that case it's obviously not good. But just in case. before you talking to the dealer, still, watch this video from 19:30 to approximately 20:15 - testing three modes and its sound. Again, just to be sure it's not what you hear.

My wife was surprised by the sounds and I was not too aware of it, but when we turned it off, everything was dead quiet while driving in any mode (or at least nothing that bothered us).

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
You're probably hearing normal gear mesh sounds. They will make noise, but it should be relatively faint. Sounds normal in the video posted above at 19:30.
That's really cool and I'm actually looking forward to hearing the sound of the motors and gears whirring. I'll probably turn the artificial propulsion sound off, however.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I can hear the motors wine when accelerating and decelerating. I think it is cool. My previous EV did the same thing.

I dont hear anything while stopped except for the HVAC system (sometimes also the A/C compressor) since it can be a bit noisy on a warm day like we had here today....

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I can hear motor whine when accelerating and decelerating. I was not expecting it to be zero whine so did not think much. It’s quiet at stop. And I don’t see it whine a lot when I accelerate from stop to see how fast I can go to 60. I have not driven any others so I can’t tell. Will check that video. Propulsion off

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I can hear the motors wine when accelerating and decelerating. I think it is cool. My previous EV did the same thing.

I dont hear anything while stopped except for the HVAC system (sometimes also the A/C compressor) since it can be a bit noisy on a warm day like we had here today....
Electric motors are not silent. Watch formula-e to hear. At speed meaning cruising along, very quiet. Where I hear some noise is slowing with one pedal as I think the is it generating electricity for back into the battery. I also like the sounds the motors make.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Electric motors are not silent. Watch formula-e to hear. At speed meaning cruising along, very quiet. Where I hear some noise is slowing with one pedal as I think the is it generating electricity for back into the battery. I also like the sounds the motors make.
In addition to noise from the electric motors, there are going to be noises from the power electronics

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Agree.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
Motor certainly makes some noise but comparing it to my Bolt I don't think it's any louder or quieter than it, so at least for what I have heard in mine, it seems pretty normal. If anything, I think the 1 pedal driving deceleration noise is (noticeably) louder than in the Bolt but I don't think that is an issue either - Bolt has some noise when slowing down / going slow and so does the Mach-E.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
My wife has been driving a MB BEV for a couple years, it's the loudest EV I've ever heard (related to the early Tesla Model S motors.) The MME will be near silent in comparison I'm sure, but I expect some whirl.

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
My Mach-E is definitely louder than my i3 was.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag

Are you hearing the sound from the pedestrian alert system? The owners manual explains it this way:

“Due to the quiet operation of hybrid and electric vehicles at low speeds, the system creates a subtle sound to alert pedestrians.​
The system is on when your vehicle is running and not in park (P). Some sound may be audible in the passenger compartment.”​
Sponsored