AWD Motor whine

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have not noticed any sort of powertrain whine from my AWD SR Mach-E. I’ve been aware of that low speed pedestrian noise on some occasions, but don’t really hear that either.

I’ve had the chance to gun it a few times too now while the radio and HVAC have been off, and done it both with the windows open and closed and I do not hear it on mine. I’ve done this while trying to listen to that Mach-E propulsion noise (too low in my opinion), but never picked up on a weird motor noise while doing it.

Do I dare ask someone to post a recording of it and potentially start noticing something I otherwise have not picked up on?
Sponsored

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have not noticed any sort of powertrain whine from my AWD SR Mach-E. I’ve been aware of that low speed pedestrian noise on some occasions, but don’t really hear that either.

I’ve had the chance to gun it a few times too now while the radio and HVAC have been off, and done it both with the windows open and closed and I do not hear it on mine. I’ve done this while trying to listen to that Mach-E propulsion noise (too low in my opinion), but never picked up on a weird motor noise while doing it.

Do I dare ask someone to post a recording of it and potentially start noticing something I otherwise have not picked up on?
I agree with @prdude, if you don't hear the noise then just leave it there. After listening to recordings you may never be able to un-hear it ?

OP
OP

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Thanks for all the input guys.

It definitely isn’t the artificial propulsion sounds. I turned those off and on and heard that those sounds are different.

It’s not the pedestrian noise, I rolled down the window to try and hear that. Plus the whiny pitch goes up while accelerating and down during deceleration.

I tried to record it tonight with my phone and couldn’t hear it on playback. Even though I could while driving.

It didn’t matter which driving mode I was in, the motor noise was the same.

I’m ok if it’s a normal sound. It actually sounds kind of neat and fun. I was just concerned because I didn’t hear it on a loaner car I had, and never heard the electric motors in my Volt.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
On the topic of comparison to Volt, I had a Bolt previously. The size of electric motor/s involved probably also plays a role, but to me the MME sounds similar to the Bolt (recognizable as electricmotorgozoom noises), but a little louder. That said, I don't notice it at all if the stereo volume is over 3-4. (So if yours is significantly louder, might be worth checking. Of course temp, SoC, driving style, and who knows what all could be factors)

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My FE does have some motor whine, mostly at lower speeds and mostly with acceleration. It is louder than my Clarity was, but 2 motors that are larger than the one small one in the Clarity. I'm just happy there is no engine starting when I step on it :rolleyes:

tmblue

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Audi Q5, 1986 IROCZ, Mach-E
Country flag
Drove one for the first time today, premium awd extended battery and def low speed, whine, something in the motors for sure.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Any other AWD owners hear motor whine while driving?

From a stop I hear a whining noise (not from a screen) that increases in pitch while accelerating. Then while decelerating I hear it decreasing in pitch until I come to a stop.

I thought it was since I had AWD I was hearing the front motors. But I drove a loaner car for a few days that was also AWD and didn't hear it in that one.

I had a Volt, and while running on battery it was whisper quiet.

Curious if others are hearing the same, and is expected, or should report it to the dealer.
I hear the whine on mine. And I LOVE it. I want it to be louder, lol.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Drove one for the first time today, premium awd extended battery and def low speed, whine, something in the motors for sure.
It's not the motors themselves. It's the drive gears meshing. All gears make a noise like this.
This noise is completely normal.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
With radio and propulsion sounds off I can hear it. It's the natural sound of the motors. I like it.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I think it’s normal. I hear a a little high-pitched electrical whine, too. Especially when starting or stopping. It’s low enough that it sounds “perfectly EV” to me.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Ok...So i hear the "whine" on mine. However, my assumption is this is normal. I only say this because i'm coming from a Hybrid that when it ran on 'battery' mode only, I always heard "something".

It is very comparable to the Hybrid. So to me, it sounds normal. Hope that makes sense. But it didnt concern me.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Feel free to tell me to start a new thread, but has anyone noticed a very particular noise at 30mph? When accelerating from stop I hear the normal noise that gets higher pitched and quieter as I speed up. Then at 30mph within a very short speed tolerance (maybe 30-31 or 30-32) I hear another faint but noticable higher pitched noise. It's not there at lower speeds and not at faster.

Curious if it's normal. I did have to jump start it due to the LVB drain issue and it did break a clip when I was pulling the vinyl off so the vinyl isn't perfectly tight under the hood on one side. I'm hoping I didn't cause some sympathetic vibration or wind whistling issue as a result.
Sponsored