jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The 12 volt battery on a modern car with out a starter (ev or hybrid) should be a big deep cycle battery. I donot expect the little battery in the mach e to last much over a year. You drain it to much, it’s going to not hold a charge. You have to protect it at all times.
Unfortunately you are probably correct, especially in cold locations and if the car isn't driven more than a couple of times a week most of the time.
Sponsored

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Well, the tow guy did a great job. Up on dollies and off to the dealer.
Last message on FordPass was "your vehicle is in deep sleep mode and connectivity is temporarily unavailable. Manually turn on your vehicle to deactivate this mode."
MME has been fine for 900 miles. Maybe this problem has been there all along, but I never let it sit for 5 days unused before.
Good thing I also have the Ridgeline! Will report back on what I hear.
Did you by chance test the voltage from cig lighter for pwr on and pwr off. That will be the first thing I do if I get the warning... from any place about charge issue. 900 miles seems crazy. Almost like an overhead light was left on...

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Sitting for 5 days shouldn’t kill a 12v.

Hell, sitting for 5 weeks shouldn’t kill it. Especially on a new car with a new battery.

On my ‘69 Mustang, I go weeks without driving it sometimes. 12v still starts right up. Only time I had an issue was either the battery was 5+ years old or I had something drawing power. Once it was a door light switch, another time it was the brake light switch.
We had a Volvo XC60 and every 3-5 days of non-driving -- dead 12v battery. Why? Apparently GPS signal seeking draining the battery... solution, disable that module or add a hideous battery tender (latter was done in the garage for a 7-day trip). MME has a lot of tech that stays alive during off position. Clearly so long as HVB has a charge, the 12V should be kept tendered... why not.. Its like standby on a cellphone vs on the phone.

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I do not complain much and am very reasonable.....but.........

The early TSB update has NOT fixed the issue on all of them. Took our first trip out of town (over 100 miles one way) to SoCal to visit fam for Christmas and got stranded 4 hours into our drive. Supercharged for the first time perfectly after 3 hours of driving or so from 9%-80% in 40 min and got back on the road.

It Lost all power at highway speed, Stop safely, AWD not available, Service AdvanceTrac etc showed up yet again. We were stranded for 3 days because of the holiday/weekend.

This is the second time the 12V battery has become an issue. The car is at a local dealer in SoCal and we returned to the Bay Area to get back to work today. It has 27k miles on it and has had ALL of the modules reprogrammed (even the one that just came out) and to have all these issues is un-reasonable. Especially one that shuts down the vehicle and makes it dangerous on the road.

I work for a dealer, so I have access to PTS and the detailed TSB info and the DTC codes that get transmitted and its mind boggling. Not to mention we still don't have Bluecruise but that's a whole other discussion.......

Build Date 10/Dec/2020
That build date and error would fall in line with bad LG HVB cells?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
The 12 volt battery on a modern car with out a starter (ev or hybrid) should be a big deep cycle battery. I donot expect the little battery in the mach e to last much over a year. You drain it to much, it’s going to not hold a charge. You have to protect it at all times.
I've owned 3 hybrids (2 different Prius and a Highlander) and an EV (Bolt EV). The 12V batteries in all but one lasted more than 5 years. The Highlander's battery dieing was likely due to the fact that the car sat in the driveway not being driven for a month or two at a time, but I would constantly walk past it with the smart-key for it in my bag. Which made the car's interior lights come on. 5 weeks of that eventually drained the battery. During the early part of Covid, that car wasn't being driven much at all and I had to remember to start it every month just to keep the battery happy, or periodically put it on the battery tender for a day or two.

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
That build date and error would fall in line with bad LG HVB cells?
I mean it wouldn’t surprise me, but it’s just strange all the local driving that is done, around 140 each day and using the battery consistently and to have this type of error. The 12v is dead once this error happens and it has to be jumped to even open the doors. Same identical thing to what happened in August.

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I mean it wouldn’t surprise me, but it’s just strange all the local driving that is done, around 140 each day and using the battery consistently and to have this type of error. The 12v is dead once this error happens and it has to be jumped to even open the doors. Same identical thing to what happened in August.
Maybe both have an issue and so the HVB is dragging the 12v down. I do hope you get resolve. I have 190 miles (since 12/8)...

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
Maybe both have an issue and so the HVB is dragging the 12v down. I do hope you get resolve. I have 190 miles (since 12/8)...
My partner drives 140m total each day (or more). It now has 27k on it, had it since Feb. Would have expected more issues if it was the high voltage battery like charging or range but neither are an issue at this time. ??‍♂ ??‍♂

The tech working on it called out today so it wasn’t touched. Maybe some answers soon, hopefully….

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Sitting for 5 days shouldn’t kill a 12v.

Hell, sitting for 5 weeks shouldn’t kill it. Especially on a new car with a new battery.
What happens when people go on holiday and leave the car at the airport for 2 weeks? Surely the 12v system should be robust enough to cope with this. Bjorn Nyland left his Tesla Model 3 (Sorry):oops: for a while, could have been 2 weeks, definitely over a week, in freezing temperatures at the airport and there was no problem in starting. What happened to all the prototype testing etc? Or did they assume the cars would only be sold in California?

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Here's a contentious thought, why not have a lithium ion 12v battery which is now standard on all new Teslas. (sorry yet again for swearing but there's no other way to say it). Will be lighter, take up less space and keep charged for longer. Ford need to keep up or be left behind.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The original 12v battery issues and the current problems may not be related st all beyond the fact that some 12v batteries are dying.
Have no idea but do you think the 12V would have been tested back then and determined good? And dead this fall. When started I saw the new one charge itself. Why is a brand new battery sitting at 75% is a question. However if it charges when started up and it wakes up to charge the HVB, depart, remote etc. it should be able to be programed to wake up and keep the 12V at 90%? Something is a bit confusing with mine? Looking for the warm fuzzy feeling about running it again I guess. Only monitored it once and no conclusions but I do wish it had of been sitting at a bit higher SOC. Possibly no prob but strange?

No outlets in the parking lot. I doubt many vehicles up there have block heaters but not really sure. Block heaters aren't very common here in AZ. Used to be standard equipment on diesel engine trucks but that stopped around 2005 I think. I we want block heaters then we have get it with a special options package now.
I would think they will not sell one without a block heater in the northern part of Wisconsin . Just a big resistor that replaces a plug in the block. Heats the water jacket and less wear at start up crank. Was just mentioning that you can plug it in for maintenance when it gets cold and it will start every time. The cab heats up a lot quicker when the fluid is a bit preheated. Cheaper and greener than idling it for 30 minutes so your bum is warm. A lot of office parking have them here. Would be a good green incentive for your office up north.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would be afraid of putting this car on a transport to Florida from NY for example and it might not start when they try to deliver it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The MME battery is an AGM. The “deep cycle” nomenclature applies only to old lead-acid batteries. My buddies with bass boats have all replaced their trolling motor deep-cycle batteries with AGM because they perform better and will last longer.

I would contend that what we are seeing is a result of battery OEM quality issues, not the chosen chemistry of the battery.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Here's a contentious thought, why not have a lithium ion 12v battery which is now standard on all new Teslas. (sorry yet again for swearing but there's no other way to say it). Will be lighter, take up less space and keep charged for longer. Ford need to keep up or be left behind.
Lithium batteries have issues also. You can't charge them below about 32* without pre-warming them. They also suffer from the loss of capacity as they get cold just like the HVB.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I understand why the HVB charges the 12 volt battery, without the 12volt you have nothing and the 12volt probably will not last 270 miles. I don't understand why when you are charging the 12volt isn't also charged. The 12volt can't be fast charged but most charging happens overnight. I think letting the 12volt charge from a charger would add a very small amount of range.

The car definitely should not shut down while being driven because of a dead 12volt while you have a ton of juice in the main battery.
Sponsored