GT Performance Edition winter tires

Iknownothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer ST
Country flag
In the past, I've been given advice that narrower tires give better traction due to a smaller surface contact area, but I've gone stock size the past 10 years. Dedicated snow tires now are pretty good and here in Colorado most of the winter is actually on dry pavement. So, the stock width should work well.

You are right about supply issues. I ended up going with the Vredesteins. I've had Blizzaks (great), Michelin Artic Alpins (fun, but ok in snow) and Pirellis (terrifying in snow). The should be available towards the end of the month. The supply chain issues seem to be getting worse, so I jumped rather than trying to make a winter on the GT PE summer tires. Been there and done that a long time ago. Not doing it again.
In the past, I've been given advice that narrower tires give better traction due to a smaller surface contact area, but I've gone stock size the past 10 years. Dedicated snow tires now are pretty good and here in Colorado most of the winter is actually on dry pavement. So, the stock width should work well.

You are right about supply issues. I ended up going with the Vredesteins. I've had Blizzaks (great), Michelin Artic Alpins (fun, but ok in snow) and Pirellis (terrifying in snow). The should be available towards the end of the month. The supply chain issues seem to be getting worse, so I jumped rather than trying to make a winter on the GT PE summer tires. Been there and done that a long time ago. Not doing it again.
What made you choose the Vredesteins over the blizzaks? Also, where did you get your tires? I might mimic you and we will have twin cars (mine is a few weeks behind yours). This will my first Colorado winter in a long while and never with winter tires so Iā€™ve very much appreciated reading your opinions here.
Sponsored

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
What made you choose the Vredesteins over the blizzaks? Also, where did you get your tires? I might mimic you and we will have twin cars (mine is a few weeks behind yours). This will my first Colorado winter in a long while and never with winter tires so Iā€™ve very much appreciated reading your opinions here.
I buy tires now at Costco or through TireRack. These I got through TireRack and they are being mounted on a set of wheels with pressure sensors.

I got these wheels
ASA GT14 Gloss Gunmetal Silver Painted (tirerack.com)

Because I have a GT PE, I just won't try to make it with summer tires. If you are just getting winter tires and need them mounted, I would recommend selecting SJ TIRE COMPANY as the installer. They come to your house with all the equipment on a trailer.

I went with the Vredesteins as they had really solid ratings and they seem worth a try. We put Blizzaks on my wife's Audi Q5 though.

Colorado can have some very interesting days in Winter. I don't know what your employer has as a policy, but post-Covid I suspect that there will be more flexibility in remote work.

You can ping me if you want me to look at tires or such.

Eric

Last edited:

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Because I have a GT PE, I just won't try to make it with summer tires. If you are just getting winter tires and need them mounted, I would recommend selecting SJ TIRE COMPANY as the installer. They come to your house with all the equipment on a trailer.

I went with the Vredesteins as they had really solid ratings and they seem worth a try. We put Blizzaks on my wife's Audi Q5 though.

Colorado can have some very interesting days in Winter. I don't know what your employer has as a policy, but post-Covid I suspect that there will be more flexibility in remote work.
Just adding another voice for both the Vredsteins, and SJ Tire. I chose the Vredsteins mostly due to their good reviews, reasonable price in the size I wanted (235/60-R18), and sometimes I just like to try something new. The last 15 years Iā€™ve either had Blizzaks or Hankook Icebears, so interested to try out the Vredsteins. They certainly look beefy.

SJ Tire did my install as well, came to my office to get it done. Very quick, programmed the TPMS sensors, hand torqued, no scuffs or silliness. I had new wheels in boxes (Jaguar takeoffs) and they broke down the boxes to protect my interior before reloading my stock wheels and tires into the back, which was a nice touch. Small company, seems like one guy plus helpers, but my experience was great.

As for CO weather, it can certainly be unpredictable, and I donā€™t like being told I canā€™t go anywhere, even if I choose not to. ;) Iā€™m a big proponent of having winter tires on a 2nd set of wheels.

One thing a lot of people forget is that tires only age with mileage, so if you drive less this winter than usual - no problem, that just means the tires will last you longer. The only added expense of winter tires is the wheel set and the initial labor, everything else evens out because you use each set of tires half as much, so they last twice as long.

mschian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E PE and Ford 2019 Ranger
Occupation
New Car Sales Northgate Ford Inc
Country flag
Boy, not a lot of tires available in 235/45 that have an stock or better load rating (103 XL). Many are available as 100 XL, which is good enough on paper, but most people prefer to stick with the stock load rating or higher.

In 235/50 you get the Pirelli Scorpion Winter which looks pretty nice, and claims EcoFocus, though I donā€™t know what that really means. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0SCORWXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
I'll check them out. EcoFocus usually means better fuel economy. They get fuel economy by a lower rolling resistance. Has something to do with sidewalls. There is a formula for calculating it, I just don't know I'm smart enough to figure it out, it didn't sound simple.

AButtonMasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
So I got Michelin All Season 4s and Iā€™m a little nervous in the range hit Iā€™ve seen so far. In the Pirelliā€™s I was getting 2.8-3.5ish, now I feel like Iā€™m seeing more 2.25 to 2.8 ish. This being said, the day that I put them on Michigan has been about 20 degrees cooler. So Iā€™m likely seeing that as much as a factor in the tire too.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 winter tires to go onto my stock GTPE wheels. I'll get another set of wheels to mount the summer tires on. Winter setup goes to be installed 11/2/21. :)

Steve-o

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME-GTPE
Country flag
I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 winter tires to go onto my stock GTPE wheels. I'll get another set of wheels to mount the summer tires on. Winter setup goes to be installed 11/2/21. :)
Staying with the 20 x 8 rims is impossible to find right now as supply chains are causing issues. I don't want to put $4K rims on the car to just get hit with snow / sleet / ice and destroyed. I might need to take this approach ... oh wait Im still in the grumpy I have no idea when I will get my car so who cares haha

Brandini00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cyber Orange Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hello, I currently have some 255/45R-20 MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 XL that I would be swapping out the oem summer tires for. Does anyone run a tire in this size or does any have a comment on the extra width/aspect?

Thank you, Brandon

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello, I currently have some 255/45R-20 MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 XL that I would be swapping out the oem summer tires for. Does anyone run a tire in this size or does any have a comment on the extra width/aspect?

Thank you, Brandon
HI Brandon, welcome to the forum and those Michelin tires are only one size up from your OEM tires and there will be no issues running them on your car. I have been running 255/45/20's on the front for over 7000 miles and no issues and there is even more clearance in the rear.

Brandini00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cyber Orange Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
HI Brandon, welcome to the forum and those Michelin tires are only one size up from your OEM tires and there will be no issues running them on your car. I have been running 255/45/20's on the front for over 7000 miles and no issues and there is even more clearance in the rear.

Thank you! Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the GTPE sits lower than the car you have now. But like you ssaid, should still be plenty of room. Looks like it is only 1.4% higher than OEM in the tire calculator.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you! Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the GTPE sits lower than the car you have now. But like you ssaid, should still be plenty of room. Looks like it is only 1.4% higher than OEM in the tire calculator.
Yes the GT and GTPE sit about .5" lower than the other Mach-E models. Still no concern for your 255/45/20 tire in fitting.

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Got to give my winter tires/wheels a real test todayā€¦.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires 12357691-2292-4117-9692-E6F082F994A0

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition winter tires 12357691-2292-4117-9692-E6F082F994A0

Continental Viking Contact 7 245/45r20 on Velox wheels.

How did this fair for you? Any updates from anyone else in this thread? Standard GT and live in Minneapolis and just got our first snow. I'm a Realtor who drives 3,000 miles a month and never have done snow tires ever.