OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
However, it was great to see the plug and charge work as planned!
Here here! ? Gotta love that.

Have a friend in MD with Rivian R1S on pre-order, also currently owns an Ionic. They seem to be enthusiastic with all the news today and with Plug&Charge working well in this video. I'm sure are excited to try on theirs later next year. Will be interesting to see what rate of charge they get. Potentially up to 300kW iirc.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The commentator mentions that this is likely due to the fact that this Plug & Charge session is using the free 250kw that comes with the car - and maybe Ford/EA really doesn't want you eating that up past 80%? Not sure though...
Just listened again. @OutofSpecKyle said at 80% it dropped to 13 kW while Tom Mologhney said it dropped to 12%. I wonder if that 12-13 kW charging rate reflects a switch to only using the J-1772 to charge and 12-13 kW is the max charge rate on the Mach E? Ford has never stated what the maximum L2 charge rate is on the Mach E. They've only stated the maximum provided by the Ford Connected Charge Station that operates at 48A.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Typically that is why you find Level-2's nearby DCFC's: Because when you get to the 80% level it is often better to move to a Level-2 as it will charge at the constant rate where the DCFC will continue to taper below what the local Level-2 will deliver (and the local Level-2 will likely cost less than the DCFC for that last 20%).

Yeah this isn't ideal but it works (and you free up the DCFC for someone else).
I have to say that most of the DCFC stations I've been to don't have L2s anywhere nearby. What you suggest is a good idea. I just haven't seen it very often.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Makes sense to charge to 70% at a DCFC and then move on.
Or to 80% if that's where the charge rate tanks. It really depends on how far you need to go next.

However, @OutofSpecKyle's point about the charging readout is important here. There should be a card in the deck that allows you to watch the actual charge rate rather than just an estimated time to 80%. After all, they have a card that turns the main screen into a picture of the entire car just to display the four tires' pressure, the least they can do is provide software for proper charge monitoring.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have to say that most of the DCFC stations I've been to don't have L2s anywhere nearby. What you suggest is a good idea. I just haven't seen it very often.
Yeah I think with the mass "explosion" of DCFC's going in it is becoming less and less so that there will be a Level-2 somewhere nearby.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Makes sense to charge to 70% at a DCFC and then move on.
Really just depends on where the next candidate chargers are on that road trip. And how often you like to make long stops.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah I think with the mass "explosion" of DCFC's going in it is becoming less and less so that there will be a Level-2 somewhere nearby.
And frankly, how many people are really going to bother to move from a 30-minute DCFC charge immediately to another hour of L2 charge to add 20 more miles? That's like filling a jug of water 80% of the way under the faucet then using a teaspoon one at a time to add another 5%.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Honestly, the charging rate seems fine, if a bit conservative.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ford really doesn't want you fast charging past 80% simply because it's really bad for the battery life. We're seeing them be really conservative with this car. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to me if Ford revisits the charging curve with an OTA after more real world data.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
And frankly, how many people are really going to bother to move from a 30-minute DCFC charge immediately to another hour of L2 charge to add 20 more miles? That's like filling a jug of water 80% of the way under the faucet then using a teaspoon one at a time to add another 5%.
Sure if the faucet automatically slows down as the jug fills to the point where using the teaspoon is faster then yeah (Maybe a tablespoon ;) ).

Its still the most effective (and efficient) way to charge to 100% at a DCFC if a Level-2 is available nearby.

Will many people do it: Probably not--it would depend: Does the next leg of their trip require 100% battery to get to the next DCFC?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its still the most effective (and efficient) way to charge to 100% at a DCFC if a Level-2 is available nearby.

Will many people do it: Probably not--it would depend: Does the next leg of their trip require 100% battery to get to the next DCFC?
Even if they did need 100%, most likely they'd just leave it plugged into the DCFC charger longer, unless they were on a per-minute rate. Most of the EA states have moved to per-kWh now. Plus 12-15 kW (slow as it is for DCFC) is still faster than most L2 (typically 7.6 kW).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I wonder if that 12-13 kW charging rate reflects a switch to only using the J-1772 to charge and 12-13 kW is the max charge rate on the Mach E?
I don't think that's possible. As far as I know DCFC stations cannot provide AC power, which is what it would have to do to use the onboard charger of the vehicle.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
The commentator mentions that this is likely due to the fact that this Plug & Charge session is using the free 250kw that comes with the car - and maybe Ford/EA really doesn't want you eating that up past 80%? Not sure though...
Just speculation but I am thinking that is wrong. Chances are these early production vehicles are just on "Ford's Account" for whatever amount they are DCFC. Otherwise, how could multiple reviewers check them out before that 250KW ran out? I doubt this car had a 250KW limit of free charging at the DCFC.
Sponsored